Your knees are the most annoying and unpleasant areas to be affected by joint pain. Because you use your knees every day, they’re also more prone to wear-and-tear. And this type of pain isn’t just for the ill and elderly: it can be experienced at any age and can be so severe that simple tasks like walking become a challenge. Knee pain can be caused by (1,2):
- Injuries including ligament tears, fractures, and dislocation of the knee joint or knee cap
- Arthritis and Osteoarthritis
- Weak muscles
Knee pain can be either dull or sharp and typically manifests itself alongside inflammation, swelling, stiffness, reduced mobility, and difficulty walking.
22 Knee Pain Relief Home Remedies
Here are a few simple remedies that will have you up and moving in no time!
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has well-documented anti-inflammatory benefits that can be utilized to treat knee pain. Use it internally and externally for best results.
To make your own knee salve, boil half a cup of coconut oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Let it cool and massage it into the knee using your fingers. Leave it on all day and repeat before bed
See also: anti inflammatory foods
2. Cayenne Pepper with Olive Oil
Capsaicin is an active compound in cayenne peppers that has a warming effect. It’s typically used to soothe muscle and joint pain and also reduces swelling.
- 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cups of olive oil
- Mix the ingredients to prepare a paste and apply it on the affected area. Use twice daily for a week or more to treat pain.
3. Cayenne Pepper with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory benefits that make it a perfect side-kick to cayenne.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
- A cup of apple cider vinegar
- Combine the ingredients and pour the mixture into a hot bath.
- Soak your knee for 20 minutes daily to stop pain in its tracks.