There is something especially satisfying and decadent about a rich pound cake—moist and sweet, on its own or with a fruit topping. The recipe here tastes like a naughty treat but it’s actually nutritious and just as moist and satisfying as the typical butter- and wheat flour-based version.
Warning: you have to love coconut to enjoy this recipe.
Lemon adds tartness to complement the sweetness of maple syrup. With vitamin C and anti-inflammatory antioxidant limonene, you get a health boost from this versatile fruit. The zest of the lemon adds texture and dietary fiber. Lemon is a natural detoxifier and supports digestive health—including acid reflux and the inhibition of kidney and gallstones—and boosts metabolism. (1)
The use of coconuts and all their derivatives is becoming more popular as their benefits to human health are realized. A healthy saturated fat that can be used in cooking (even at high heat), baking, added to coffee, and even eaten by the spoonful, coconut oil is good for your brain.
Coconut flour as a substitute for wheat makes this luscious pound cake gluten free. It’s a great fit for pound cake, which is supposed to have a dense texture. While wheat flour contains high amounts of protein, the carbohydrate content, farming methods, and increasing numbers of people with Celiac disease and gluten sensitivity are prompting people to look for other flours. Coconut flour contains more protein than wheat but its carbohydrate content is comprised mostly of fiber rather than sugars and therefore has a low glycemic index score.
We could all probably use a little more fiber and a little less sugar, yes?
Real maple syrup adds sweetness, moisture, and nutrition to this pound cake. Rich in minerals, antioxidants, and with low glycemic content, it’s an ideal substitute for refined sugar. Don’t use syrup made from corn and flavored to taste like maple—only the real thing will do.
Gluten-free Lemon Pound Cake with Coconut Glaze
- Use organic, free range eggs for optimal nutrition and rising power (there’s no gluten to make this cake rise—it all depends on the eggs and baking soda).
- Use fine coconut flour of the same texture as wheat—the flour should be cream-colored, not white; this indicates that the flour was produced with little or no heat applied.
- The loaf pan size used in the recipe (7.5” X 3.5”) will ensure the cake rises to the appropriate height; if baked in a larger pan, the cake won’t have the expected texture and moisture.
- Coconut butter is denser than solid coconut oil out of the jar. It’s easy to make your own from dried coconut—find a recipe at TheKitchn.com.
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 7.5” by 3.5” loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs with coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Add coconut flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Transfer to prepared loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.
- 1/3 cup coconut butter
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Spread on cooled cake.
- Feel free to garnish with lemon peel, toasted coconut shavings, or fruit.
- 5 Food Additives Found In Salad Dressing You Need To Avoid Like The Plague
Salad: what you put ON it is just as important as what you put IN it. Ranch, for example, often contains soybean …
- 10 Food Ingredients Consumed Daily in the USA that are Banned Outside
Every day, many different types of food goods are consumed throughout the whole of the USA that contain food ingredients …
- 16-Year-Olds Win Google Science Fair With a Simple but Brilliant Food Hack
A strange observation led to an innovative discovery and the top prize of Google’s 2014 Science Fair. While 16-year-old Emer …
- Grain-Free Flatbread Recipe: 10 Healthy Ways to Keep Bread In Your Diet
True celiac disease is relatively uncommon. It is an autoimmune condition in which your body simply cannot process the proteins …
- The Truth About Diet Sodas and Why They Don’t Work
Conventional wisdom may tell you that the best way to get started on the path to fat loss is to …
- Incredibly Effective Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie Made With Pineapple, Turmeric and Tart Cherry Juice
There’s nothing like a bout of inflammation to keep you cooped up in your home and unable to move. And …
- This 14-Day Paleo Meal Plan Will Help You Lose Weight Fast!
The Paleo Diet has become very popular over the last several years which is why we created a paleo meal …
- Superfood Hot Chocolate With Coconut Oil, Maca + Turmeric!
There’s nothing more comforting than a warm cup of hot cocoa on a cold day. While it’s a true winter …
- Eat More Red Onions: It Kills Cancer Cells, Stops Nosebleeds And Protects The Heart
Onions—you either like them or you hate them. Well, the jury is in and according to a 2010 Business Wire …
- 7 Ancient Superfoods for Modern Health
Modern medicine certainly has a lot going for it, but looking backwards in time can be extremely helpful when it …
- You Can Help Your Thyroid by Temporarily Reducing or Avoiding Goitrogenic Foods
The thyroid is part of the endocrine system, a small gland shaped like a butterfly and located in the lower …
- 22 Proven Ways Water Makes You Awesome
From the stuff we drink and swim in, to the steam that eases congestion and the ice that reduces swelling, …
- 5 Genius Ingredient Swaps That Will Instantly Make Cooking Healthier
Sometimes, the tastiest dishes call for not-so-healthy ingredients. Though a superfood hasn’t come around to replace butter yet, these five …
- The Watermelon You Should Never, Ever Eat!
When you think of watermelon, you probably think of fond summer memories. It’s generally accepted that a picnic or cookout …
- Food Scientists: New GMO Potatoes ‘Extremely Worrisome’
Center for Food Safety (CFS) is today warning consumers about a new genetically engineered (GE) potato that may soon enter …