There is something especially satisfying and decadent about a rich pound cake—moist and sweet, on its own or with a fruit topping. The recipe here tastes like a naughty treat but it’s actually nutritious and just as moist and satisfying as the typical butter- and wheat flour-based version.
Warning: you have to love coconut to enjoy this recipe.
Lemon adds tartness to complement the sweetness of maple syrup. With vitamin C and anti-inflammatory antioxidant limonene, you get a health boost from this versatile fruit. The zest of the lemon adds texture and dietary fiber. Lemon is a natural detoxifier and supports digestive health—including acid reflux and the inhibition of kidney and gallstones—and boosts metabolism. (1)
The use of coconuts and all their derivatives is becoming more popular as their benefits to human health are realized. A healthy saturated fat that can be used in cooking (even at high heat), baking, added to coffee, and even eaten by the spoonful, coconut oil is good for your brain.
Coconut flour as a substitute for wheat makes this luscious pound cake gluten free. It’s a great fit for pound cake, which is supposed to have a dense texture. While wheat flour contains high amounts of protein, the carbohydrate content, farming methods, and increasing numbers of people with Celiac disease and gluten sensitivity are prompting people to look for other flours. Coconut flour contains more protein than wheat but its carbohydrate content is comprised mostly of fiber rather than sugars and therefore has a low glycemic index score.
We could all probably use a little more fiber and a little less sugar, yes?
Real maple syrup adds sweetness, moisture, and nutrition to this pound cake. Rich in minerals, antioxidants, and with low glycemic content, it’s an ideal substitute for refined sugar. Don’t use syrup made from corn and flavored to taste like maple—only the real thing will do.
Gluten-free Lemon Pound Cake with Coconut Glaze
- Use organic, free range eggs for optimal nutrition and rising power (there’s no gluten to make this cake rise—it all depends on the eggs and baking soda).
- Use fine coconut flour of the same texture as wheat—the flour should be cream-colored, not white; this indicates that the flour was produced with little or no heat applied.
- The loaf pan size used in the recipe (7.5” X 3.5”) will ensure the cake rises to the appropriate height; if baked in a larger pan, the cake won’t have the expected texture and moisture.
- Coconut butter is denser than solid coconut oil out of the jar. It’s easy to make your own from dried coconut—find a recipe at TheKitchn.com.
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 7.5” by 3.5” loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs with coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Add coconut flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Transfer to prepared loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.
- 1/3 cup coconut butter
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Spread on cooled cake.
- Feel free to garnish with lemon peel, toasted coconut shavings, or fruit.
- Massive 10-Year Study Has Linked Diet Soda To Heart Attacks And Stroke
Just because a product says “healthy”, “natural”, or “sugar-free” doesn’t mean it’s good for you. Same goes for the word …
- How To Do a 3-Day Sugar Detox to ACCELERATE Fat Loss And Improve Your Mood!
Everybody gets a sweet tooth every once in a while, but it’s easy for these cravings to develop into full-blown …
- The World’s #1 Food For Heart Attack, Hypertension, Stroke And Cholesterol
Dates aren’t the most attractive fruit, but they certainly are sweet and nutritious. Studies show that this amazing fruit has …
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- 30 Simple and Effective Whole Food Substitutes to Improve Your Total Wellness Right Away
If you haven’t caught up by now, the Standard American Diet – appropriately nicknamed SAD – is horrible. It’s literally …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …