Coconut Oil Detox
“Detox” is a word that flies around alternate medicine circles all the time. But what does that mean? In North America’s jargon, it means counteracting the toxins we are constantly exposed to through the food we eat and the environment in which we live. Our bodies absorb whatever we come in contact with and some of it can cause health problems over time.
Why Coconut Oil Cleanse Is Perfect For Detoxing
Nature wants us to be healthy and provides nourishment as well as antidotes for what we may ingest that’s not so healthy. Coconut oil has been found to have numerous health benefits we are only beginning to discover. It’s versatile and beneficial in various ways, whether applied topically or taken internally.
Coconut oil’s fats are medium-chain triglycerides (MCT), whereas most other fats are long-chain triglycerides. The difference that’s important to us is how the body metabolizes the different fat molecules:
“’MCTs are transported directly from the intestinal tract to the liver, where they’re likely to be directly burned off as fuel and raise the metabolic rate slightly’ explains researcher Marie-Pierre St-Onge of Columbia University. That means less is available to be circulated throughout the body and deposited in fat tissues.”(1)
Because MCT are readily available for energy, they are perfect for a cleanse regimen when replacing regular food intake.
Health Properties of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial, and kills yeast overgrowth.(2, 3) Because of its structure and direct line to the liver—through which everything we absorb passes—coconut oil is in a unique position to destroy harmful organisms before they can do any damage. That’s why coconut oil is part of this detoxifying cleanse.
Coconut oil is so nutritious, it can:
- Enhance brain health and mental clarity
- Boost digestive function and improve Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Improve blood sugar control
- Help prevent and treat degenerative brain diseases (Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis)
- Prevent cardiovascular disease (high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke)
- Help against cancer
- Improve HDL (high-density lipoprotein, “good”) cholesterol
- Boost energy levels
- Increase immune function
- Lose excess body fat
- Improve thyroid function
- Improve skin tone and appearance
- Protect and restore joint function
- Balance intestinal flora
- Prevent and treat Crohn’s disease
- Protect against bacterial, viral, fungal, and parasitic infections
“The coconut palm is truly one of nature’s natural wonders. It is reported to have 1,000 uses. Every part of the coconut palm is used for some purpose. From this tree you can derive everything necessary to sustain life. It is a source of food and drink to nourish the body, medicine to maintain and restore health, and materials to build shelter, clothing, and tools to provide the necessities of life.” – Bruce Fife, ND: Coconut Cures: Preventing and Treating Common Health Problems with Coconut
Cut Back on Meat and Carb-Loaded Foods
Before embarking on any body cleanse, check with your healthcare provider if you have any physical conditions.
If this is your first time doing a coconut oil detox, make sure to cut back on the amount of carbs and meat you eat throughout the cleanse.
Take coconut oil daily in small amounts for two weeks, building up to the amount called for in the cleanse. Begin with ½ to 1 teaspoon 3 times a day, gradually increasing to 1-2 tablespoons 3 times a day. When you’ve reached that amount comfortably, start the cleanse.
Also, keep in mind that during this cleanse you’ll be getting nearly half of your daily calories from coconut oil.
How To Detox With Coconut Oil
Mix 2 tablespoons raw virgin cold-pressed organic coconut oil with warm water and drink every 2 hours for 3 to 7 days. Or you can eat the coconut oil directly off the spoon. The object is to consume 10-14 tablespoons of coconut oil each day.
You can mix the oil with veggie loaded smoothies rather than with water or eat 4 ounces of fresh coconut meat per day. The flesh of the fruit provides a high dose of fiber and is probiotic.
During the detox, some people experience flu-like symptoms as the result of toxin withdrawal—the “die off” can last up to 5 days and be accompanied by headache, joint stiffness, and dizziness. Ensure you stay adequately hydrated during the cleanse; try the drink below:
- 1 cup pure organic lemon juice
- 6 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Lemon juice is cleansing and sea salt will replenish lost minerals.
- 4 Things You Absolutely Need to Know About E-Cigarettes. Don’t Buy Any Until You’ve Read This!
As part of a plan to regulate electronic (“e-”) cigarettes, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced a new …
- How To Supercharge Apple Cider Vinegar With Turmeric, Ginger, Lemon And Garlic
Getting the cold or the flu can really take a toll on your health. Worse yet, infection quickly spreads throughout …
- The Biggest Loser TV Show Destroys Participants’ Metabolisms
The most important weight loss tip? Don’t try what you see on television. There is a big problem with the …
- How To Make Your Own Plastic-Free and Zero-Waste Mascara
Many ladies like to enhance their facial features by applying make-up—cosmetics sales are a global $500 billion a year industry. …
- 6 Reasons Why You Don’t Need To Fear Saturated Fats Anymore
For decades, healthcare professionals have been warning patients to avoid saturated fat. The theory has long been touted that this …
- How To Effectively Deep-Clean And Freshen Your Mattress Without Using Bleach
Although most people clean their bed sheets every week, it’s rare for people to think of washing their mattress even …
- Widely Prescribed Drug Deactivates Stem Cells Responsible For Cellular Repair Causing Rapid Aging
Statins, the widely prescribed class of drugs said to lower “bad” cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart problems, has …
- 5 Hidden Ways Intravenous Curcumin Combats Cancer Growth
Curcumin is the active phytochemical in turmeric that has been found effective in preventing and treating a variety of maladies, …
- Simple Recipe To Make Your Own Non-Toxic Bug Repellent!
There’s nothing like a few mosquito bites to ruin your day outside. Not only are bites itchy and annoying, they …
- CVS Pharmacies to Stop Tobacco Sales: Big Blow to Big Tobacco
Even if you don’t smoke, you should be celebrating CVS’s latest move. Starting October 1 of this year, you will no longer …
- 5 Treatments for Diabetic Pain You Might Not Know About
Diabetic neuropathies—the problems caused by the damage diabetes does to nerves—eventually cause pain in 60 to 70% of people with …
- How To Get Your Newborn Baby To Stop Crying In Just 15 Seconds
Babies cry to communicate their needs with their parents. They might be hungry, tired, not feeling well or may just …
- Homemade Essential Oil Laundry Powder You Can Make In Minutes For Clean Fresh-Smelling Clothes
There are three types of label-readers: never, sometimes, and always. When it comes to food, there has been quite a …
- Why It Pays (For Your Health) To Be Optimistic
In life there are two types of people: those who view the glass as half full, and those who see …
- This Is What Your Farts Reveal About Your Health
Being gassy is never fun, especially when you’re surrounded by other people. Most people think that they fart more than …