If you have ever had bronchitis, you know how hard it is to treat. Worse of all, when your airway becomes congested, it makes even minor everyday activities seem impossible.
While it can start out as a common cold, inflammation of the lining of your bronchial tubes causes severe coughing with a thick, discolored mucus discharge. If left untreated, bronchitis can result in irreparable damage to your lung tissue. And even if the condition improves on its own within a few days, the nagging cough can literally last for weeks (1).
Conventional medicine typically prescribes plenty of rest, drinking lots of fluids, avoiding smoke and fumes, and possibly an inhaled bronchodilator and prescription cough syrup (2). If the condition is chronic, however, you may need oral steroids (to reduce the inflammation) and supplemental oxygen.
The bottom line is that when you get bronchitis, it means you are in for weeks of exhausting hacking and coughing—at least until now!
Bronchitis Home Remedy
Nature once again comes to the rescue!
This home remedy for bronchitis contains some of the world’s most powerful ingredients to soothe a sore throat and calm an out of control cough.
And the best part is that it contains just three ingredients you probably already have at home: water, honey, and bananas.
Bronchitis Home Remedy Recipe
- 400 ml boiling water
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Peel the bananas and puree them with a wooden fork or spoon.
- Place the mashed bananas in a pot and add boiled water. Let the mixture steep for 30 minutes.
- When the remedy is cool, add the honey. It is important to add the honey when the mixture is cool so the honey does not lose any of its heat-sensitive antioxidants.
- Place the mixture in a sealed container and use 100ml 4 times a day.
- Use the remedy for 5 days in a row, making a new batch every morning.
Bananas are an amazing food. They are full of vitamins, phytonutrients, protein, carbohydrates, fiber and even antioxidants. Specifically, bananas contain two powerful antioxidants, dopamine and catechins (3,4).
While dopamine is usually associated with improving your mood, research shows that in bananas, dopamine does not cross the blood-brain barrier, but simply acts as a strong antioxidant, which is exactly what you need when you are sick (5, 6).
According to the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University, bananas are one of the best sources of manganese (7). This essential nutrient promotes wound healing, which is essential for compromised lung tissue during bouts of bronchitis.
What is more exciting, however, is that research shows an enzyme called manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) is the principal antioxidant enzyme in mitochondria, which are responsible for the biochemical processes of respiration and energy production in all of your cells. According to researchers, because “mitochondria consume over 90 percent of the oxygen used by your cells, they are especially vulnerable to oxidative stress.” Plus, studies show this enzyme has significant potential as an anti-inflammatory agent, including in the lungs (8).
Bananas also contain a protein called banana lectin, or BanLec. New studies from the University of Michigan Medical School show this protein provides a biological barrier to essentially “mop up” stray viruses so they are rendered harmless. Research shows BanLec sticks to chains of sugar molecules, which is exciting because some of the world’s deadliest viruses are covered in exactly the same kind of sugar molecules banana lectin is attracted to (9).
According to researchers, this makes it a possible miracle antiviral agent. According to Jonathan Ball, Professor of Molecular Virology at the University of Nottingham, “Lectins have that potential as they are able to bind to the sugars present on the surface of a range of viruses including HIV, influenza, and Ebola, many of which have caused or have the potential to cause severe epidemics or even pandemics.” (10)
Honey successfully treats a variety of ailments, but it is especially well known for its ability to treat stubborn coughs such as bronchitis.
According to one study published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, researchers showed just one nighttime dose of buckwheat honey is more effective than dextromethorphan, a common cough suppressant (11).
Honey is also a wonderful source of vitamins including, B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and certain amino acids, all of which are beneficial for healing. It further contains various minerals such as calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and zinc, again, all of which help you to heal (13). Manuka honey has an even higher than normal amounts of these minerals, which makes them even more powerful for treating illnesses.
This one is quite obvious: when you are sick, water is especially important because it not only keeps you hydrated when you have a fever or you simply don’t feel like eating, but it helps to regulate your body temperature. It also helps to flush away any toxins, bacteria or viruses (14).
- 10+ Signs You Have a Toxic Tooth Infection and How to Treat it Without Going to the Dentist
There are three types of dental abscess: Ginginval – infection of gum tissue Periodontal – infection in supporting bone tissue …
- How To Make Alkaline Water To Fight Fatigue, Digestive Issues And Cancer
Is alkaline water good for you? A healthy body should always be slightly alkaline. The majority of people today, however, tend to …
- This Journalist Just Exposed a Big Flossing Scandal! Here’s What He Discovered…
Flossing isn’t exactly what you want to be doing right before going to bed, but many of us are advised …
- Heavy Metal Exposure During Pregnancy May Contribute to Autism, NIH Finds
Heavy metal exposure during pregnancy may contribute to autism, according to a study recently completed and published by the National Institute …
- Clear Your Lungs And Sinuses In 30 Minutes With These Homemade Shower Disks
No one likes feeling sick. Having a sore throat, puffy eyes, and a stuffy nose is a recipe for sleepless …
- Breastfeeding Boosts Your Baby’s Immune System And Lowers Your Risk of Ovarian And Breast Cancer
Breastfeeding isn’t easy for most new mothers, but science is suggesting that it’s a struggle worth pushing through. When it …
- Best Supplements for Omega-3s in Your Diet
Your doctor may have already told you that incorporating omega-3 fatty acids into your diet is important. Those miraculous omega-3s …
- You’re Texting All Wrong and It’s Killing Your Spine
Are you on Facebook surfing right now? Or perhaps texting your friends via cellphone? If you are then stop for a …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- 6 Little-Known Facts About Acid Reflux Doctors Don’t Always Tell You
Everyone’s heard of heartburn, a classic symptom of acid reflux. Acid reflux happens when the ring of muscle known as …
- 5 Natural Alternatives To Ibuprofen To Help You Manage Chronic Pain and Inflammation
A recent report from Reuters has shed some light on the darker side of over-the-counter anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen. According to …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- How To Make Your Own First Aid Ointment That’s Safer And Better Than The Store-Bought Stuff
Bacterial ointments are an essential part of family first aid kits. When children have a bug bite or a scraped knee, …
- Scientists Discover Taking an Anti-inflammatory Probiotic Can Stop Cancer Cells in Their Tracks
Bacteria are everywhere in the environment and inside your body. These little creatures are neither plant nor animal, they’re single-cell …
- ￼4 Mistakes You’re Doing That’s Making Your Autoimmune Disorder Worse
Autoimmune disorders affect people in ever-increasing numbers – Grave’s Disease, MS, lupus, Celiac’s Disease – these diseases can be crippling, …