Breathing is an automatic action that sustains life.
On average, you inhale about 30,000 times a day without even realizing it (1).
But your breath also changes according to your mood and state of mind.For example, when you’re stressed, anxious, or afraid, your breathing may become quick and labored. It may even be hard to take a deep breath.
In these moments of distress, it can become very difficult to slow down your breath and get back into your normal breathing pattern.
In contrast, when you’re happy and relaxed, you don’t even notice your lung filling up with air every time you inhale.
That’s why healing practices like meditation and yoga teaches us to consciously slow down our breath and take control of our thoughts and emotions to let go of negative energy and tension with each exhalation. This allows practitioners to reach a calmer and happier state of existence as well as develop a deeper connection with their body (2).
Also, since conscious breathing can help you control your emotions, it has a positive effect on hormone secretions, metabolism, immune response, and nerve activity (3).
Breathing Exercise For Anxiety
The following guided meditation will teach you how to turn breathing into the most relaxing exercise you can do.
Just find a calm, comfortable place for your practice and click play.
It Really Works
Scientists have recently taken interest in the areas of mindfulness and the benefits of meditation, but they’ve also taken a look at the way we breathe.
In fact, a joint study carried out by the University of Quebec and the University of Louvain took a look at how emotions affect breath (4).
The study, entitled “Respiratory Feedback in the Generation of Emotion”, separated volunteers into two groups:
The first group was asked to produce happiness, anger, calmness, and panic by remembering past events or imagining emotional scenarios.
For each emotion, scientist monitored the speed of breathing, location in the lungs, and amplitude.
They made the following conclusions:
- Panic was characterized by short, sharp breaths
- Anger created long forced breaths
- Calmness was characterized by slow, steady breaths
- Happiness created long inhalations and long exhalations
From these findings, they drew up a list of breathing instructions for the second group.
Group 2 was in the dark about the true purpose of the study, having been told that they were participating in a study of the cardiovascular impact of breathing styles.
They were asked to follow breathing instructions given by the researchers for 45 minutes. After the fact, participants were given a questionnaire in which they had to describe their emotional response to each of the 4 distinct breathing patterns.
Amazingly enough, the second group experienced feelings that matched up perfectly with the volunteers in the first group simply by mirroring their breathing. And so, researchers were able to determine that it is possible to alter your emotions through breathing alone.
Applying Breathing Exercises To Everyday Life
Anytime you feel overwhelmed or emotional, close your eyes and focus on your breath. Try to breathe deeply, filling your lungs to their capacity, pausing for a moment, and emptying all the air in your body. Repeat until your mind becomes clear and your can return to your task with focus and positivity.
Conscious breathing is a powerful tool, and it only takes a few minutes to do. You can even use your favorite breathing exercise at night to quiet your mind before bed.
As Amit Ray would say: “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.”(5).
- How to Lose Weight: the Ultimate Guide
According to the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control, more than seventy percent of adults in the U.S. are overweight …
- According To This Study, Poor Lifestyle Choices Can Affect Future Generations Through DNA
There’s evidence that environmental stressors and trauma can be passed down from one generation to the next(1), but now new …
- Heavy Metal Exposure During Pregnancy May Contribute to Autism, NIH Finds
Heavy metal exposure during pregnancy may contribute to autism, according to a study recently completed and published by the National Institute …
- Leading Poultry Producer Cuts Nearly All Antibiotic Use
Perdue, one of the biggest producers of chicken in the United States, issued a press release on September 3 stating …
- Scientists Discover Potential Cure in Yogurt Against Peanut Allergies… But Don’t Try This Just Yet!
For many people, especially children, with peanut allergies, simple daily routines such as communal meals can be complicated affairs. However, …
- This Miraculous Drink Will Work Wonders For Your Thyroid
A healthy thyroid means a healthy you! The thyroid gland is responsible for regulating our metabolism. It helps maintain our weight, improves digestion, skin …
- 5 Ways To Stop Absorbing Other People’s Negative Energy
Nothing can bring you down as much as being around negative people. So how do you prevent people’s negative energy …
- Scientists Discover Taking an Anti-inflammatory Probiotic Can Stop Cancer Cells in Their Tracks
Bacteria are everywhere in the environment and inside your body. These little creatures are neither plant nor animal, they’re single-cell …
- 3-Ingredient Detox “Shots” To Alkalize Your Body, Burn Stubborn Belly Fat, And Fight Inflammation
Do you wake up in the morning dreading the long day ahead of you? You’re not alone. Every day, millions …
- High-Tech “Granny Pods” Could Be The Solution To Expensive Nursing Homes. This Is Genius!
In American society, family members tend to grow apart as they age. When they can no longer live a fully …
- Swiss Medical Board STOPS Breast Cancer Screening For This Shocking Reason!
Up until very recently, mammograms have been recommended by doctors for every woman over the age of 50 in the …
- 10 Dead Simple Natural Pesticide Recipes. You Won’t Believe How Easy It Is To Make These!
Ever wonder what farmers did hundreds of years ago to fight off crop pests? Long before the invention of harmful …
- Multiple Studies Show THIS Fruit To Be a Powerful Medicine Against Cancer
The herbal medical community has recently announced studies of Soursop. This fruit is more effective for cancer treatment than the numerous …
- 21 Surprising Uses For Lemons That You Haven’t Tried Yet, But Should
There’s a reason why cleaning products often smell like lemon. This little citrus fruit works as a powerful cleaner and …
- Florida Dad Invents a Bed To Minimize The Risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
After becoming a father, a Florida man has created a new infant safety bed that may significantly reduce the risk of …