According to the Anxiety Disorders Association of America, anxiety disorders are the common mental illnesses in the country (1).
It currently affects about 40 million people in the United States alone.
Because of fear of social stigmas, it was determined that only about a third of people suffering from this problem seek treatment.
Different Kinds Of Anxiety
Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Characterized by unnecessary worry and catastrophizing. As a general rule of thumb, people with this disorder automatically think of the worst possible outcome in every situation.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Having the inability to control unwanted thoughts or behaviours. People suffering from OCD preform daily rituals to help ease their anxiety. They may believe that failure to preform these tasks (like checking the stove or hand washing) will lead to disastrous consequences (like burning the house down or getting sick).
Panic Disorder: Characterized by episodes of intense fear that surface without warning, called panic attacks. Certain things may trigger these episodes, like talking in front of a crowd or getting on a plane. Panic disorder can lead to digestive problems and heart palpitations if not monitored and treated properly.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Manifested as fear that persists long after the experience of a traumatic event. PTSD often occurs in veterans, child abuse survivors and crash victims. These fears are often triggered by sound or images but may also surface randomly.
What Is An Anxiety Attack?
An attack is “abrupt onset of intense fear or discomfort that reaches a peak within minutes.”
It usually presents 4 of the following symptoms:
- Palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate
- Trembling or shaking
- Sensations of shortness of breath or smothering
- Feelings of choking
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Nausea or abdominal distress
- Feeling dizzy, unsteady, light-headed, or faint
- Chills or feeling hot
- Numbness or tingling
- Derealization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (being detached from oneself)
- Fear of losing control or “going crazy”
- Fear of dying
During an anxiety attack, the sufferer often feels like he or she can’t breathe.
“And when you don’t get enough oxygen, the brain receives a ‘danger’ signal, which perpetuates your mind-body state of anxiety,” explains Jonathan Davidson, M.D., director of the Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Program at Duke University Medical Center. “Your breathing quickens and becomes even more shallow; in an extreme case this can lead to a full-blown panic attack, in which the person begins to hyperventilate.”
Nostril Breathing And Anxiety
Yogis believe that the nose is directly linked to the brain and nervous system.
And so, alternate nostril breathing (called Nadi Shodhan) is believed to balance the left and right hemispheres of the brain.
A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (3), found that slow diaphragmatic breathing proved just as effective in reducing anxiety as the antidepressant drug imipramine.
How Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique Can Ease Panic Attacks
It activates the parasympathetic nervous system: which gets you out of survival mode and back into relaxation.
It enhances respiratory function (3): which increase oxygen flow to the brain to help you focus on the present moment.
It improves attention and fine-motor coordination/performance: to help you regain control of your body and mind.
How to Practice Nadi Shodhana
Watch the video bellow to find out how to practice nostril breathing. All you need is a quiet and comfortable place to sit.
You can do it anywhere, at anytime, if you feel the need to reconnect with yourself. It’s just one of the many non-medicinal tools that can help you manage your anxiety.
- 40 Different Studies that Confirm GMO Foods are Destroying Your Health
You would have to be living under a rock to have not at least heard of genetically modified (GMOs) produce. The …
- When You Try This 2,000-Year-Old Lotion Recipe, You’ll Know Why People Still Use It
Facial cleansers are everywhere on the market today, and it can be hard to know which ones are actually good …
- 3 Simple Ways to Shield Yourself from Computer and Cell Phone Radiation
With cell phones and computers becoming increasingly ubiquitous in society, many people are beginning to ponder the possibly negative effects …
- If You Notice a Dark Ring Around Your Neck, Go See Your Doctor Immediately! This Is What It Means
Obesity rates have been on the rise over the last decade. In fact, there are more and more cases of …
- Top 16 Essential Oils for Inflammation You Can Use at Home
Let’s face it: inflammation is usually painful (and annoying)! But it’s not always this way since internal inflammation can exist …
- 5 Ways to Reduce Inflammation Naturally
Inflammation is categorized as a condition that is physical and in which a certain part of the body becomes swollen, …
- 10 Reasons To Start Eating Pumpkin Seeds This Fall (Plus 17 Tasty Recipes)
Plants seeds are packed with concentrated nutrients. Pumpkin seeds are no exception. When you scoop out the innards of your …
- Alkalize Your Body and Fight Disease With These 10 Healing Foods
Survival is a complex and wonderful thing. Your body is constantly working to achieve its ideal pH level, temperature, and …
- Here’s Why 97% of Western Europeans Don’t Drink Fluoridated Water
Fluoride is probably an ingredient you’re used to seeing on your toothpaste or hearing about at your dental clinic. However, …
- 9 Warning Signs That Your Blood Sugar Levels Are Out of Control
Maintaining the right level of blood sugar or glucose is key to living a healthy, happy life. When we experience …
- If This Doctor Was Diagnosed With Cancer, He Would IMMEDIATELY Do These 5 Things…
Conventional medicine uses chemo, surgery and radiation to treat cancer. Unfortunately, it doesn’t try to understand the underlying cause of …
- Revolutionary Diabetes Cure: Human Trial Set To Begin In 2015
Researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham have found verapamil, a blood pressure medication, can be effective in reversing …
- Carbs at Night – Natural Fat Loss Killer or Myth?
There are many things that fitness experts and nutritionists think they know for sure. You hear them everywhere. You have …
- 15 Ways to Fill Your Home With Positive Energy And High Vibrations
You have probably heard of the term chi (Qi). It is essentially the energy that gives life. This energy flows …
- How to Grow an UNLIMITED Supply of Basil From a Single Plant
Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to have fresh herbs and produce whenever you want? Gardening typically requires planting …