You may have heard about how turmeric might revolutionize cancer treatment.
The spice is already known to treat, cure or prevent over 600 medical conditions. It outperforms any pharmaceutical drug on the market in term of versatility, availability, non-toxicity and efficacy.
A recent study published in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry has found that turmeric fights obesity by modifying fat cells (1). Curcumin, the active compound in turmeric is capable of inducing browning of white fat cells.
Brown Fat Cells Vs. White Fat Cells
Fat cells differ in color because of their density of iron-filled mitochondria. Brown fat cells simply have many more and as a result are metabolically more active than white fat cells. While brown fat cells burn off calories to produce heat, white fat cells simply store energy.
Overweight and obese people tend to have a surplus of white fat. In normal human development, white fat levels should peak in infancy, not adulthood. In fact, belly fat increases risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes (2). Watch the following video to learn more about brown fat.
Curcurmin Promotes Brown Fat
In the study, called “Curcumin induces brown fat-like phenotype in 3T3-L1 and primary white adipocytes” scientists describe how curcumin affects fat cells:
- By enhancing the expression of genes specific to brown fat cells. Through a process called nutrigenomic “epigenetic modification,” curcumin is capable of altering a cell’s patterns of gene expression resulting in significant changes in the structure and function of the cells involved.
- By encouraging new mitochondria production.
- By increasing protein levels of lipase and p-acyl-CoA carboxylase, two enzymes responsible for lipolysis (breakdown of fat) and by suppressing lipogenesis.
- By increasing the activity of the AMP-activated protein kinase enzyme. This enzyme helps regulate metabolic homeostasis, which is often out of balance in obese individuals.
Turmeric has been proven to be as effective as prescription drugs in treating depression and comparable to exercise in maintaining cardiovascular health (3, 4). A recent study also found that it is potent in preventing the progression of prediabetes into diabetes in 100% of subjects studied (5).
- Why You May Want to Consider Wiping Off That Milk Mustache
Calcium is undisputedly important to strong and healthy bones. What is in dispute however is whether milk—traditionally touted as one …
- The Fastest Way to Improve Your Diet
When considering a healthy diet, many people have come to understand that nothing happens overnight. Instead, it is understood that …
- 3-Ingredient Almond Fudge FILLED With Cancer-Fighting And Inflammation Reversing Nutrients
Sometimes a sweet tooth can be really hard to ignore. But grabbing a slice of cake or reaching for your …
- How To Preserve Avocados For a Year by Freezing Them (It’s Quick And Easy To Do!)
Avocados are a delicious food, recently gaining newfound popularity as a “superfood” after years of being largely ignored due to …
- Natural Compound Found in Grapes Protects DNA, Cuts Risk of Heart Disease and Cancer
This powerful polyphenol is no stranger to news headlines and the health-minded people who are privy to various findings about it. …
- 5 Healthy Foods With More Fat Than a Doughnut That’s Not Going To Give You a Heart Attack
Again, what was once conventional nutritional wisdom has been proven not so wise. Fat is not your enemy—well, not all …
- 30 Foods For a Healthier Life
There are countless diets out there telling you what to eat, when you should eat it, how much you should …
- The #1 Food To Avoid If You Have High Blood Pressure
Many people struggle with high blood pressure – almost 30 percent of Americans have high blood pressure, and medications to …
- 5 Foods You Should Stop Eating (and What To Eat Instead)
There are many foods in this world you would have been better off never eating. This is especially true for …
- Here’s Why You Need To Stop Using Soybean Oil (It’s Been Found To Be More Fattening Than Sugar!)
Soybean oil is contained in many foods that we consume regularly today – if you check the ingredient list of …
- 7 Spices to Boost Your Health
Spices. Everyone loves them, well, most of them. They’ve been adding flavor and excitement to our food for thousands of years. …
- How To Cancel Out The ACIDIC Effects of Coffee by Adding This ONE Ingredient!
There seems to be a bit of confusion when it comes to including or excluding coffee for the sake of …
- 6 Uncommon Superfoods That Could Help Your Health Status Soar
There are many foods that spring to mind when you say the word ‘superfood’, such as kale, spirulina and Manuka …
- Amazing 78 Year Old Vegan Bodybuilder
Jim Morris was a competitive bodybuilder for 30 years, and became vegan within the past twelve. At 50 he was …
- Getting Enough Vitamins From Your Diet Can Be Tough
So long as you’re eating a healthy, balanced diet, you’re getting all the vitamins and nutrients that you need – …