Sometimes, bodies make sounds that are loud and strange.
Some of these sounds happen so often that we never stop and think about why they happen.
So what do these noises really mean?
Hiccups are caused by spasms in the diaphragm, the thin muscle that separates the chest cavity (where the lungs and heart are) from the abdominal cavity (where the digestive tract and other organs are contained).
These spasms cause an interruption in your breathing as you inhale (1).
This condition is typically caused by a full stomach, but other causes include (2) :
- Drinking carbonated beverages
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Eating too much
- Excitement or emotional stress
- Sudden temperature changes
- Swallowing air
- Anxiety, stress or excitement
Hiccups typically only last a few hours, but in some cases, they can last for days or even months.
Extreme hiccuping can be as sign of :
- Central nervous system problems, such as cancer, infections, stroke, or injury.
- Problems with the chemical processes that take place in the body (metabolic problems), such as decreased kidney function or hyperventilation.
- Irritation of the nerves in the head, neck, and chest (vagus or phrenic nerve).
- Mental health problems.
The best way to cure hiccups is by holding your breath for 10 long seconds, quickly drinking a glass of cold water or eating a teaspoon of sugar. These remedies increase carbon dioxide in the blood to get your diaphragm back up to speed.
2. Popping Joints
Contrary to popular belief, cracking your knuckles doesn’t cause arthritis.
The sound you hear is actually caused by air cavities that form in the liquid in your joints. This liquid is what keeps joint lubricated and flexible.
As the joint is opened up, a gas-filled cavity is formed within the fluid. When the joint goes back into its natural position, the gas is forced out, creating a popping sound (3).
However, if your joints grind together or feel painful, it’s important to meet with your doctor or naturopath.
3. Growling Stomach
Although your stomach often rumbles when you’re hungry, it isn’t always caused by hunger.
The grumble you hear can be caused by gas, particularly when you eat a lot of sugar (5).
The sound can also be caused by muscle contractions which push down food to push through your digestive tract. This process is called peristalsis (6).
These contractions help break down food and squeeze out pockets of air, creating noise. They also occur in between meals to sweep out any food leftover after your stomach is emptied.
These vibrations also let your know that it’s time to eat.
To avoid the sound, eat small, frequent meals. If you experience a growling stomach often, it may also be a sign of medical conditions like irritable bowel syndrome.
4. Ringing Ears
Tinnitus a condition characterized by hearing ringing, buzzing, hissing, chirping, whistling, or other sounds.
It often goes unnoticed throughout the day but becomes noticeable as you try to go to sleep. Although it’s often experienced by people suffering from hearing loss, many hearing-healthy people experience the condition (7).
It can be caused by exposure to loud sounds, infection, wax build-up, injury or tumors.
The condition also tend to worsen if you drink alcohol, feel stressed, smoke cigarettes, drink caffeinated beverages, or eat certain foods.
If the condition bothers you or persists, speak to your doctor or audiologist.
5. Whistling Nose
This strange sound is typically heard as you exhale. It’s caused by excess mucus, so it often happens when you’re sick or experiencing allergy symptoms.
The best thing to do is to breathe in warm steam and blow your nose frequently to clear your nasal passages.
In some cases, the whistling can be caused by injury, particularly by tears in the cartilage of your septum.
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- How to Effectively Remove a Painful Ingrown Toenail WITHOUT Having To Go To The Doctor
If you ever suffered from an ingrown toenail, then you know that it’s not only super painful, it’s also hard …
- THIS Is What Happens To Your Face After Washing It With Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
Baking soda and coconut oil face wash, can be very good for washing your face. Exfoliating your skin has become …