You might be surprised to learn that your toothpaste is loaded with unnecessary toxic ingredients.
There’s a reason why the label says not to swallow it. There’s even a poison center phone number you can contact in case you were to accidentally ingest some.
Many medications that exist today are sublingual – meaning that they need to be placed under the tongue. Why? Because it can enter the bloodstream much faster.
Most people don’t know about this and never realize how harmful their commercially bought toothpaste can be.
Toxins in Toothpaste
1. Polyethylene Glycol is used in the manufacturing of conventional toothpaste. It is also a common commercial plastic used in packaging many products you buy every day.
2. Toothpaste companies add Triclosan to the product recipe for its antifungal and antibacterial properties. It is used in pesticides and has been deemed a hazard to certain aquatic life.
3. Water is often fluoridated and almost every commercial toothpaste contains this neurotoxin. Most chemicals are unable to cross the blood-brain barrier; however, fluoride is one of the few that can.
Many forms of cancer have been link to fluoridated water and extended exposure was found to cause substantial damage, especially to the nervous system (3). It can also impair blood flow in the digestive system and cause cellular damage in the mucous tissue in the mouth as well as in the liver (4,5).
4. Lauryl sodium sulfate, which is classified as a surfactants, is used as a detergent and an emulsifier. You will often find it in your shampoos and body washes. It has been proven to notably promote the development of cancer, especially in the colon (6).
5. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol which is commonly used as a sugar substitute in most conventional toothpastes. Ingesting it can cause indigestion; gas; bloating; nausea; and osmotic diarrhea (7).
6. Diethanolamine is an emulsifier used in making toothpaste so that it will foam. Diethanolamine can disrupt hormones and form cancer-causing nitrates (8). This in turn can cause liver and kidney damage.
Switching from conventional toothpaste to one that is natural, or better yet, one that you make yourself is a huge step.
This alone eliminates your exposure to all of those harsh, toxic chemicals listed above.
Another great thing about making your own toothpaste is that it saves your family a lot of money each year. It can also be a fun way to:
- Teach the kids about natural products for oral hygiene.
- Give them a sense of accomplishment.
- Offer a way to spend quality time together.
- 2/3 Cup Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Finely Ground, Organic Sea Salt
- 10 Drops of Organic Essential Mint Oil or 1 to 2 teaspoons Organic Mint Extract
- Filtered Water for Preferred Consistency
Note: Any organic extract or essential oil can be used for the flavor. Try a fruit flavor for the kids and mint for the adults.
This recipe yields just over 5 ounces of homemade toothpaste which should be stored in a glass container with a tight sealing lid. Combine all of your ingredients except the water. Add the water only a few drops at a time until the paste is the consistency that you want.
- 7 Reasons Why You Absolutely NEED to Try Castile Soap and 16 Genius Ways to Use It
Not all soaps are the same; they may clean all right but they might be leaving behind undesirables. There’s a …
- Must Read: The Most Over-Prescribed Medications
Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) are some of the most over-prescribed medications out there. You might have seen popular advertisements for …
- Losing Control Over These 3 Emotions Is a Sure Way To Kill Your Brain
Strokes are frightening, no matter how you look at it. The third leading cause of death in the United States …
- While You Were Distracted By The US Election, The Senate Outlawed GMO Labeling Nationwide
The issue of requiring the labeling of foods that contain genetically modified organisms (GMO) was brought before the U.S. House …
- The Best Cooking Methods To Prevent The Nutrients In Your Food From Being Destroyed
Many individuals are aware of what antioxidants are, their role in cancer prevention, and fighting free radicals. That’s why, the cooking …
- These 5 Weird Things Happen To Your Body When You’re Not Getting Enough Iron
Have you been feeling unusually run down and tired lately? Are you easily distracted and struggling to find the energy …
- 3 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar In Your Beauty Regimen And The #1 Mistake To Avoid
Apple cider vinegar is one of the most popular foods when it comes to natural remedies and do-it-yourself beauty products, …
- 5 Warning Signs That Your Immune System Has Been Compromised And How To Fix It
A healthy immune system is central to your body’s function; it is the mechanism which protects your body from infections …
- Widely Prescribed Drug Deactivates Stem Cells Responsible For Cellular Repair Causing Rapid Aging
Statins, the widely prescribed class of drugs said to lower “bad” cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart problems, has …
- Toxic Buildup Leads To Weight Gain And Belly Fat. Try This Simple Detox Drink
Do you easily put on weight despite eating healthy? Do you experience headaches, acne, depression, insomnia and fatigue on a regular …
- Avoid These 5 Toxic Chemicals to Preserve Your Health
As consumers become more and more aware of the impact of their purchases, they are beginning to show concern for …
- This Traditional Healing Recipe Fights Many Diseases Including Cancer And High Blood Pressure
The unique combination of ingredients used in this traditional healing drink can help you fight health conditions like asthma, impotence, cancer, arthritis, …
- Cut Your Watermelon THIS Way And Never Have Juice Dripping Down Your Chin Again!
Watermelon isn’t just a healthy snack: it’s a summer staple. Perhaps one of the most popular ways to eat it …
- Top 7 Most Prescribed Drugs And Their Natural Counterparts
We don’t have to live in a medicated world, but we certainly choose to. The crux of the matter is …
- Why Homemade Sauerkraut Could Be Your Secret Weapon Against Fat, Cancer And Heart Disease
When it comes to probiotics, most people think of pills or yogurt, but there are many other foods that have …