Everyone – especially kids – loves gummy snacks like fruit roll-ups and Gushers, but many parents struggle with finding healthy alternatives to these sugary treats, which are often loaded with preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, and other artificial ingredients.
These all-natural anti-inflammatory gummy snacks are easy to make at home, and contain natural anti-inflammatory ingredients, making them a great choice for people suffering from conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and joint pain.
Anti-Inflammatory Gummy Snack Recipe
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed citrus juice, such as orange or lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all natural cherry fruit juice
- 4 tbsp gelatin
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated turmeric
- Whisk together the citrus juice, fruit juice and gelatin until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the liquid in a small saucepan over low heat until the gelatin is completely dissolved, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from heat and stir in honey, ginger and turmeric.
- Pour the mixture into candy molds, a silicone tray, or a casserole dish and refrigerate until it’s set, about 30 minutes.
- Cut the gummy snacks into bite-sized squares and serve cold or at room temperature.
How It Works
Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory, with much clinical research to back up it’s use in treating chronic pain and inflammation conditions like arthritis. It’s also quite safe to consume in large amounts.
Ginger also has a broad range of anti-inflammatory actions; there is strong evidence that ginger moderates the biochemical pathways activated in chronic inflammation.
In addition to being the ingredient that makes these gummy snacks gummy, gelatin is used in anti-inflammatory medicines like Ibuprofine to improve the delivery of the medicine within the body.
And last but not least, cherry fruit juice is well-known for its anti-inflammatory benefits as well as sleep inducing effects.