Turmeric is definitely one of the world’s healthiest spice.
This mighty root is known for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant antibacterial, antiseptic and healing properties (1).
Honestly, is there anything this spice can’t do? Here are six creative ways to use turmeric at home.
Go-To Turmeric Recipes
Delicious ways to get your daily dose.
1. Sweet Potato Wedges
Works well with carrots too!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle olive oil on the paper to avoid sticking.
- Wash and peel potatoes and dry thoroughly
- Cut them into 1inch wedges.
- Place wedges into a large bowl and toss with olive oil and spices until evenly coated.
- Spread wedges on the baking sheet and cook for about 10-15 minutes on each side.
2. Golden milk
Drink it before bed for an extra restful sleep.
- 1 cup milk (almond, coconut, or organic cow’s milk)
- 1 teaspoon raw organic coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric paste (or more, to taste)
- Honey, to taste (unpasteurized and local, if you can get it)
- Combine all ingredients except honey in a small saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly.
- When completely blended and hot (but not boiling), remove from heat.
- Add honey to taste, stirring until dissolved.
Two creative ways to heal your skin.
3. Brightening Face Mask
Turmeric is said to help diminish dark circles and smooth and minimize pores.
The spice is an antioxidant that fends off free radicals that cause premature aging, and it can also help to correct an uneven skin tone and reduce redness from blemishes and rosacea.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon raw organic honey
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon organic yogurt (for sensitive skin, use more)
- In a small dish, combine all the ingredients and whisk with a fork.
- Wash your face, pat dry and pull your hair back.
- Apply the mask to your face using your fingers, be careful not to stain your clothes or counter.
4. Let the mask dry for about 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Rinse the mask off with warm water over a stainless steel sink and use an old towel to pat dry.
4. Scalp Salve
Use this salve to treat your dry, flaky scalp by reducing inflammation and killing any possible bacteria or fungi causing the condition.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl
- Apply to dry hair, massaging it into your scalp.
- Leave in for 15 minutes and shampoo as usual.
- Repeat once a week for best results.
Two surprising ways to use turmeric at home.
5. Natural Dye
Turmeric is a great natural alternative to chemical food and fabric dyes.
- 1/4 cup water
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- In a small saucepan, boil the water and turmeric for 3 to 5 minutes.
- remove from heat and allow to fully cool.
- Add a teaspoon add a time to frostings, batters or other foods.
- Store in a refrigerated airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
6. Pet Health
Believe it or not, turmeric is safe for dogs and cats to consume.
In fact, researchers at Colorado State University’s Animal Cancer Center are evaluating the potential for curcumin to treat feline cancer, specifically sarcoma, which represents almost ≥25% of feline cancer (2).
It’s also said to relieve joint pain and manage cholesterol in older pets (3). As with any natural alternative, speak to your veterinarian before giving it to your pet.