4. Scalp Salve
Use this salve to treat your dry, flaky scalp by reducing inflammation and killing any possible bacteria or fungi causing the condition.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl
- Apply to dry hair, massaging it into your scalp.
- Leave in for 15 minutes and shampoo as usual.
- Repeat once a week for best results.
Two surprising ways to use turmeric at home.
5. Natural Dye
Turmeric is a great natural alternative to chemical food and fabric dyes.
- 1/4 cup water
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- In a small saucepan, boil the water and turmeric for 3 to 5 minutes.
- remove from heat and allow to fully cool.
- Add a teaspoon add a time to frostings, batters or other foods.
- Store in a refrigerated airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
6. Pet Health
Believe it or not, turmeric is safe for dogs and cats to consume.
In fact, researchers at Colorado State University’s Animal Cancer Center are evaluating the potential for curcumin to treat feline cancer, specifically sarcoma, which represents almost ≥25% of feline cancer (2).
It’s also said to relieve joint pain and manage cholesterol in older pets (3). As with any natural alternative, speak to your veterinarian before giving it to your pet.