Banana peel aren’t exactly what you want hanging around your home too long, but they actually have multiple practical uses.
So instead of throwing them in your garbage or compost, keep your peel a few hours and try one of these tricks !
Save money with these unusual ways to use banana peel.
1. Treat Depression
Green and yellow banana peel extract had anti-depressant-like effects (1). This is because it contains tryptophan, which is key in creating serotonin, a calming hormone (2).
To use, steep 1 fresh banana peel into a teapot of boiled water and steep for 5-10 minutes.
2. Fruit Fly Trap
Anyone who loves fruits knows how difficult it is to get rid of fruit flies. Worst of all, they crawl all over and inside any food left out on your kitchen counter, making them must less appealing.
All you need is a tall yogurt container with a plastic lid, banana peel, a hammer and a thin nail. Use the hammer and nail to punch about 5-10 holes into the lid. Place the peel in the container, and snap on the lid.
The flies will get inside but won’t be able to escape. Just leave your homemade trap near your fruit bowl and throw away after a few days.
3. Fix Scratched Disks
Do your CDs and DVDs ever skip a beat? Tiny scratches are probably the cause. Instead of throwing them out, try this trick from Apartment Therapy!
- First, apply toothpaste to the scratched area and massage it gently into the surface using a rag.
- Remove the paste and take a piece of sliced banana and rub it in circular motions into the DVD. Next, take the banana peel and do the same thing
- Clean the disc using a cloth and spray window cleaner onto it.
4. Natural Pesticide
Bugs are pretty unavoidable in outdoor gardens and plants, and they can cause intensive damage to your crops.
To avoid aphids, one of the most common garden pests, cut up 2-3 banana peels into fine slices. Dig a one inch deep hole at the base of your affected plants and place the peels inside, covering them back up with soil.
The high potassium content of these peels will keep the most stubborn bugs away.
5. Remove Ink Stains
There’s nothing more difficult to remove from your skin than the ink of an exploded pen. The inside of banana peel weakens the bond between ink and your skin and effortlessly removes it from your skin. The quicker you use it after a spill, the better.
6. Stop an Itch
If mosquitoes bites keep you squirming all summer long, keep bananas on hand! The inside of the peel reduces inflammation and relieves itching within minutes of application. It also temporarily relieves poison ivy itch.
7. Whiten Teeth
Banana peels will make your teeth whiter without the use of any harsh chemicals. Best of all, it doesn’t damage tooth enamel. Just rub the inside of the peel on clean teeth for 2 minutes or so. Repeat daily for best results.
8. Buff leather shoes
Similar to how banana peel buff scratches on CDs, it can also fix scuffs on leather products. Potassium, an important mineral found in bananas is actually an important ingredient in shoe polish (3).
9. Perk Up Your Plants
This little trick works well with potted ferns, cacti, and spider plants. Use the inside of the peel to remove dust and hydrate the leaves. You can also use banana-based compost to replenish the nutrients in the soil.
10. Remove Splinters
To effortlessly pick out painful splinters, apply the inside of a peel over your wound for 30 minutes. The peel attracts the tiny sliver of wood and traps it inside. Best of all, it’s relatively pain-free.
- Here’s Why 97% of Western Europeans Don’t Drink Fluoridated Water
Fluoride is probably an ingredient you’re used to seeing on your toothpaste or hearing about at your dental clinic. However, …
- How to Grow an Endless Supply of Lemons From Seed (This Will Last You a Lifetime)
Learning how to grow a lemon tree from seed is surprisingly rewarding and easy. While lemon trees tend to flourish outdoors year-round in …
- Put THIS Mixture Under Your Tongue Before Bed And NEVER Wake Up Tired Again!
Sleep may be an everyday activity, but very few people give it much thought. Even those who suffer from sleep loss …
- Beating Brain Tumors With a Scorpion Sting Paint
Brain surgery is perhaps the most delicate of intrusive surgical procedures. The brain, for the most part, all looks alike–unlike …
- Medicinal Plant Has Over 60,000 Industrial Uses And Can Fight Cancer And Other Deadly Diseases
Despite what we’ve been taught, cannabis isn’t just a popular recreational drug. The cannabis plant actually has over 60 thousand …
- How To Instantly Stop A Migraine With Himalayan Salt
Migraines are nothing to laugh about. Just one bad migraine is enough to cripple you for a whole day. Pain relievers are …
- Smile! How To Be Happy Now In 10 Easy Steps
Happiness doesn’t just feel good – it’s good for your health. Multiple studies have shown that depression and anxiety are …
- 5 Simple Steps to Reverse the Effects of Aging
Why is it that some people seem to age slowly and gracefully, while others look haggard at a relatively young …
- How to Use Tea Tree Oil to Rid Your Home of Germs, Ants, and Toxic Bacteria
Commercial household cleaners contain chemicals—thousands of them—and some are toxic. Pounds of the stuff remain on hard surfaces, are absorbed …
- Your Feet Hold Clues to Clogged Arteries
Your feet are the furthest appendages away from your heart. And you probably wouldn’t know this but they can actually …
- This Lamp Can Run For Eight Hours And All It Needs Is One Glass of Salt Water
The Sustainable Alternative Lighting project, otherwise known as SALt, is releasing a lamp that runs purely on saltwater to the …
- The Dangers of Air Fresheners (Plus 10 Natural Options)
You’ve probably seen the commercial: A mom walks into a teenager’s room, takes a sniff and tells him no “nice” …
- This Chart Tells You EXACTLY How Much Sleep You Need To Get According To Your Age
We all know at least one workaholic who sacrifices a few hours of sleep each night to stay productive and get …
- How To Grow An Endless Supply of Blueberries
Blueberries are delicious and perfectly sweet, but did you know that they’re also great for your heart health? In fact, …
- Terminal Hospice Patient Exposes Truth About Ensure Nutrition Drinks
Carrol Krause was a former Herald-Times reporter from Indiana. Following her 2014 ovarian cancer diagnosis, Carrol turned to the Internet …