Banana peel aren’t exactly what you want hanging around your home too long, but they actually have multiple practical uses.
So instead of throwing them in your garbage or compost, keep your peel a few hours and try one of these tricks !
Save money with these unusual ways to use banana peel.
1. Treat Depression
Green and yellow banana peel extract had anti-depressant-like effects (1). This is because it contains tryptophan, which is key in creating serotonin, a calming hormone (2).
To use, steep 1 fresh banana peel into a teapot of boiled water and steep for 5-10 minutes.
2. Fruit Fly Trap
Anyone who loves fruits knows how difficult it is to get rid of fruit flies. Worst of all, they crawl all over and inside any food left out on your kitchen counter, making them must less appealing.
All you need is a tall yogurt container with a plastic lid, banana peel, a hammer and a thin nail. Use the hammer and nail to punch about 5-10 holes into the lid. Place the peel in the container, and snap on the lid.
The flies will get inside but won’t be able to escape. Just leave your homemade trap near your fruit bowl and throw away after a few days.
3. Fix Scratched Disks
Do your CDs and DVDs ever skip a beat? Tiny scratches are probably the cause. Instead of throwing them out, try this trick from Apartment Therapy!
- First, apply toothpaste to the scratched area and massage it gently into the surface using a rag.
- Remove the paste and take a piece of sliced banana and rub it in circular motions into the DVD. Next, take the banana peel and do the same thing
- Clean the disc using a cloth and spray window cleaner onto it.
4. Natural Pesticide
Bugs are pretty unavoidable in outdoor gardens and plants, and they can cause intensive damage to your crops.
To avoid aphids, one of the most common garden pests, cut up 2-3 banana peels into fine slices. Dig a one inch deep hole at the base of your affected plants and place the peels inside, covering them back up with soil.
The high potassium content of these peels will keep the most stubborn bugs away.
5. Remove Ink Stains
There’s nothing more difficult to remove from your skin than the ink of an exploded pen. The inside of banana peel weakens the bond between ink and your skin and effortlessly removes it from your skin. The quicker you use it after a spill, the better.
6. Stop an Itch
If mosquitoes bites keep you squirming all summer long, keep bananas on hand! The inside of the peel reduces inflammation and relieves itching within minutes of application. It also temporarily relieves poison ivy itch.
7. Whiten Teeth
Banana peels will make your teeth whiter without the use of any harsh chemicals. Best of all, it doesn’t damage tooth enamel. Just rub the inside of the peel on clean teeth for 2 minutes or so. Repeat daily for best results.
8. Buff leather shoes
Similar to how banana peel buff scratches on CDs, it can also fix scuffs on leather products. Potassium, an important mineral found in bananas is actually an important ingredient in shoe polish (3).
9. Perk Up Your Plants
This little trick works well with potted ferns, cacti, and spider plants. Use the inside of the peel to remove dust and hydrate the leaves. You can also use banana-based compost to replenish the nutrients in the soil.
10. Remove Splinters
To effortlessly pick out painful splinters, apply the inside of a peel over your wound for 30 minutes. The peel attracts the tiny sliver of wood and traps it inside. Best of all, it’s relatively pain-free.
- Cleveland Clinic Doctor And Libertarian Presidential Candidate Found Dead In Hotel Room
Dr. Mark Allan Feldman, a prominent doctor and member of the world renown non-profit Cleveland Clinic, has been found dead …
- The Worst 5 Phones To Carry On You If You Want To Avoid Cancer
Cell phones do a great job at connecting people. The problem is, they may be slowly poisoning us with every call …
- The Surprising Reason Why Your Knees Hurt More During Winter. (It’s Not Because of The Cold)
If you are experiencing knee pain at this time of year, the solution may be more sunshine, according to new …
- 8 Proven Weight Loss Tips For Women: Watch The Pounds Melt Away
Women are naturally predisposed to have a higher BMI than men (1). This is because women need a certain amount …
- Toxic Dishwasher Capsules are Loaded With Chemicals That Cause Severe Respiratory Issues and Cancer
Anything that touches your food can get inside your body, right? That goes for dishes, glasses, and utensils, too. Commercial …
- 7 Surprising Causes That Can Send Your Blood Sugar Levels on a Rollercoaster Ride of Highs and Lows
For those with diabetes, keeping their blood sugar levels in check can be a hassle. There are many variables that …
- CDC Confirms THIS Natural Oil To Be As Effective As DEET For Warding Off Mosquitoes!
It’s rare for large companies and organizations to endorse natural products, but it seems as though it’s finally occurred! The …
- Revitalize Dry, Brittle Hair With Castor and Coconut Oil By Using Both at Once Like THIS
There’s nothing like dry air to make your hair unmanageable and frizzy. Although some people try to combat static and …
- Destroy Dry, Itchy, Winter Skin With The Remedies in Your Kitchen
Reduced humidity combined with colder temperatures tends to wreak havoc on your skin. Many suffer with dry, scaly, itchy skin …
- Popular Over-The-Counter Pills Used For Colds, Allergies And Pain Relief Linked to Dementia
We assume that over-the-counter meds for common ailments such as allergies and sleeplessness are safe. The most popular brands of these …
- Indian State Will Pay Farmers To Go 100% Organic And GMO-Free
Organic food has taken the world by storm. And while some countries are riding the wave with very little regulation, …
- Johnson and Johnson: Cancer Causing Ingredients Present in Baby Products
Johnson and Johnson is well-known for their family products. They have recently faced lawsuits and public outrage over their baby products. Moms …
- This Woman Invented a Way to Run 30 Lab Tests on Only One Drop of Blood.
Fast, Easy and Painless Blood Testing is coming to a Walgreens Theranos Wellness Center near You. Thanks to a 30 …
- Here’s Why You Need To Wash Your Hair With Apple Cider Vinegar At Least Once In Your Lifetime!
As more and more people eschew expensive, chemical-filled shampoos and conditioners for more natural hair treatments, a superhero in the …
- Your Liver May Be ‘Eating’ Your Brain
(originally written by Christopher Wanjek) Your liver could be “eating” your brain, new research suggests. People with extra abdominal fat are …