22. Turmeric & Coconut Roasted Butternut Squash Bisque
If you’re looking for an easy to prepare soup that’s also vegan and packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatories, this one pot wonder is the perfect choice!
- 3 medium size butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 (15-ounce) cans of coconut milk
- 16 ounces of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon of ginger
- 4 teaspoons of turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of cloves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a large knife, carefully cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds.
- Lay the butternut squash halves face up on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 1 hour, or until the squash is golden brown on the edges.
- Remove the squash from the oven and let it rest until it is cool enough to handle.
- Brown the onions in oil a large soup pot.
- Gently scoop the roasted butternut squash out of the skin and into the pot. Discard the skin.
- Add the coconut milk and turn the heat to medium, allow the coconut milk and butternut squash to warm for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable stock and all of the spices.
- Using an immersion blender, blend all of the ingredients together until the soup is smooth and creamy.
- Allow to cook over medium heat for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm, with fresh bread.
23. Spiced Pancakes
These oil free, super fluffy vegan pancakes are an excellent way of getting your daily portion of turmeric into your day first thing in the morning.
To make 5-7 pancakes:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- pinch of black pepper
- ¼ tsp ginger
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend till combined. Don’t over blend.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Since it is quite thick, spread/smooth into a circle.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on the first side. When you can easily slide a spatula under, flip.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Repeat until all the batter is gone.
- To serve, top with yogurt, apple butter, and chopped nuts.
24. Golden Ginger & Turmeric Cookies
Vegan and gluten free and really good for you cookies? Is it really possible? Absolutely!
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 cups organic gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Pinch pink salt
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 knob fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp fresh turmeric grated or 11/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- Pre-heat your oven to 400F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan (low heat) and then pour into a separate bowl, add in the bananas, maple syrup, almond butter, fresh ginger, and turmeric – mix to combine everything.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix really well to combine everything.
- Shape the mix into balls and pop them onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly brown on the outside.