Turmeric is by far one of the most popular and celebrated health foods of the decade. It’s been around for far longer than that, however. In fact, turmeric has a 4000 thousand-year-old history as an ayurvedic medicine.
Whether you enjoy it as a flavorful curry blend, skin-balancing paste or in a variety of turmeric drinks, this yellow spice is a powerful health tool.
Health Benefits Of Turmeric
Turmeric contains more than 100 health-promoting compounds, including curcumin. This compound has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, choleretic, antimicrobial, and carminative effects.
“Turmeric is used as an herbal medicine for rheumatoid arthritis, chronic anterior uveitis, conjunctivitis, skin cancer, smallpox, chicken pox, wound healing, urinary tract infections, and liver ailments. It is also used for digestive disorders; to reduce flatus, jaundice, menstrual difficulties, and colic; for abdominal pain and distension; and for dyspeptic conditions including loss of appetite, postprandial feelings of fullness, and liver and gallbladder complaints, ” writes Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. (1)
Additionally, turmeric fights degenerative disease such as Alzheimer’s, inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, and mental health conditions such as depression.
Other benefits include:
- Fights inflammation naturally better than NSAIDs
- Fights free radical damage
- Boosts hormone function
- Reverses cognitive decline
- Fights Huntington’s disease and Parkinson’s disease
- Lowers risk of heart disease
- Prevents cancer
14 Turmeric Drinks that Promote Health and Wellness
You can’t eat curry every day, so drink up this healing spice instead!
1. Golden Turmeric Milk
This golden milk recipe is the perfect morning treat to set your body on the right track.
- 2 cups of milk, preferably coconut or homemade nut milk
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon dried turmeric powder
- A pinch of black pepper
- Honey, to taste
- Heat the milk over medium heat until it begins to steam.
- Add spices.
- Simmer for a few minutes and cool for 10 minutes.
- Drink hot.
2. Turmeric Smoothie
If you’re a fan of smoothies, you’ll love this recipe!
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 tablespoon of coconut milk
- ½ banana
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Put all the ingredients in a high-power blender and blend until smooth. Add water or more coconut milk if necessary to improve texture.
- Drink immediately.
3. Turmeric Tea
Flavorful and complex, this tea is a healthy way to warm up on a cold day.
- 1-2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root
- 1-2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- A pinch of clove powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A pinch of black pepper
- Coconut milk (optional)
- Raw honey (optional)
- Boil water in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce to medium heat and add all the spices.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, strain, and serve hot.
- Add honey and milk to taste.
4. Turmeric Water with Black Pepper
If you’re short on time, this recipe is a great quick fix.
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive or coconut oil (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients in a glass of water and drink immediately!
5. Turmeric Latte
Replace your calorie-laden coffee latte with this healthy alternative.
- 1 cup of almond or coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated turmeric root
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger root
- Raw honey
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add all the ingredient but the honey into the pan.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Strain, add honey and serve.
6. Turmeric Lemon Tea
This tea is sure to pack a punch of energy!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Honey to taste
- Combine lemon juice, turmeric, ginger and cayenne in a mug, top with boiling water and sweeten to taste with honey.
7. Turmeric Tonic
Tasty and full of electrolytes, this tonic is perfect to hydrate after a hot day.
- 3 cups coconut water
- 1/2 cup fresh ginger slices
- 1 lime, cut into quarters and squeezed
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients in a glass jar with a lid, shake well, and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve at room temperature.