Turmeric is by far one of the most popular and celebrated health foods of the decade. It’s been around for far longer than that, however. In fact, turmeric has a 4000 thousand-year-old history as an ayurvedic medicine.
Whether you enjoy it as a flavorful curry blend, skin-balancing paste or in a variety of turmeric drinks, this yellow spice is a powerful health tool.
Health Benefits Of Turmeric
Turmeric contains more than 100 health-promoting compounds, including curcumin. This compound has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, choleretic, antimicrobial, and carminative effects.
“Turmeric is used as an herbal medicine for rheumatoid arthritis, chronic anterior uveitis, conjunctivitis, skin cancer, smallpox, chicken pox, wound healing, urinary tract infections, and liver ailments. It is also used for digestive disorders; to reduce flatus, jaundice, menstrual difficulties, and colic; for abdominal pain and distension; and for dyspeptic conditions including loss of appetite, postprandial feelings of fullness, and liver and gallbladder complaints, ” writes Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. (1)
Additionally, turmeric fights degenerative disease such as Alzheimer’s, inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, and mental health conditions such as depression.
Other benefits include:
- Fights inflammation naturally better than NSAIDs
- Fights free radical damage
- Boosts hormone function
- Reverses cognitive decline
- Fights Huntington’s disease and Parkinson’s disease
- Lowers risk of heart disease
- Prevents cancer
14 Turmeric Drinks that Promote Health and Wellness
You can’t eat curry every day, so drink up this healing spice instead!
1. Golden Turmeric Milk
This golden milk recipe is the perfect morning treat to set your body on the right track.
- 2 cups of milk, preferably coconut or homemade nut milk
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon dried turmeric powder
- A pinch of black pepper
- Honey, to taste
- Heat the milk over medium heat until it begins to steam.
- Add spices.
- Simmer for a few minutes and cool for 10 minutes.
- Drink hot.
2. Turmeric Smoothie
If you’re a fan of smoothies, you’ll love this recipe!
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 tablespoon of coconut milk
- ½ banana
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Put all the ingredients in a high-power blender and blend until smooth. Add water or more coconut milk if necessary to improve texture.
- Drink immediately.