Himalayan pink salt originates from Pakistan and has been used for centuries for its therapeutic and cosmetic uses. The mineral was extensively used in trade for its therapeutic health benefits and has long been considered a precious commodity (1). Hence why, it is called the healing salt.
The salt contains a small amount of calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and slightly lower amounts of sodium than regular salt. For this reason, the salt can be quickly metabolized without increasing the concentration of potassium and sodium in the blood, which causes high blood pressure (2).
Why It’s Special
Himalayan salt contains 84 different minerals that are beneficial to your health.
Its crystals are the result of a very ordered arrangement of atoms, giving them their unique shape (3). Himalayan salt contains trace minerals and macrominerals, such as calcium, which plays a vital role in bone, teeth, and muscle health. The trace minerals (which are needed in small amounts for your health) include boron, chromium, copper, fluoride, iodine, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, and zinc (4).
With regular consumption, the healing salt has been known to help aid poor circulation, as well as detoxify the lungs and nasal passages, purify skin and alleviate symptoms of allergies, asthma, and a host of other ailments.
The origin of Himalayan salts stretches back nearly 250 million years, as ocean salt settled in geologic pockets around the earth. Himalayan salt is unrefined, unprocessed and hand-mined from salt caves.
Thanks to its rising popularity, Himalayan salt is now available at more health food stores, online retailers, and drug stores. It is important to read the labels and be sure what you’re purchasing is authentic Himalayan salt and not a processed knock off variety.
Himalayan Salt as a Medicine
Although Himalayan salt has been around for centuries, researchers have only begun to prove its healing abilities scientifically.
Its benefits include (5):
- Detoxifies the body and balances pH levels
- Improves hydration and electrolyte balance
- Improves the overall mineral status of the body
- Facilitates digestion
- Fights cell aging
- Relieves muscle cramps
- Balances out blood sugar
- Supports hormone balance
- Regulates blood pressure
- Improves sleep quality
- Boosts weight loss
- Supports thyroid and adrenal function
- Improves kidney and liver function
- Boosts mood and energy levels
- Promotes detoxification
If taken in moderation, Himalayan salt has no negative side effects and does not damage stomach, kidneys or other internal organs like processed salt can.
How To Use Himalayan Salt
Himalayan salt doesn’t have to be eaten to improve your health, it can also penetrate the skin to heal wounds and sore muscles
1. Salt Bath
As with Epsom salt, the amount of Himalayan salt you’ll need to add to your bath depends on your body weight. For best results, soak for 30 minutes shortly before going to bed.
Taking regular salt baths can help improve:
- Various skin diseases
- Insect bites, wounds, and blisters
- Skin irritation
- Gynecological problems (particularly postpartum)
- Joint pain and disease
- Post-operative recovery
- Excess bloating or water retention.
2. Natural Decongestant
To make a decongestant saline solution, add a teaspoon of salt to a half a liter of warm water and stir until dissolved. Use a small teapot or neti pot to distribute the solution into your nostril and clear them up.
3. Body Scrub
This scrub not only cleans your body just as effectively as soap, it also moisturizes your skin. All you need is a cup of Himalayan salt, ½ cup of coconut oil and a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Store the mixture in a glass jar and gently apply to wet skin in a circular motion to promote lymph flow. Rinse in the shower and skip the soap!
4. Acne-Fighting Toner
To make a healing salt toner, combined ½ cup of filtered water, 2 teaspoons of pink Himalayan salt and 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Store the mixture in a small glass bottle with a lid and apply to your face using a cotton ball. Use in the morning and at night for best results.
5. Himalayan Salt Lamps
Salt lamps can be purchased at most natural health food stores or new age shops. They have the ability to help detoxify your home from harmful electronic smog.
When the lamp is heated, it releases negative ions, which balance with the positive ions in the air transmitted from tech devices. The lamps have also been known to improve sleep quality, boost mental clarity, and even help reduce stress.
Himalayan salt can also use it in the following ways:
- As ear drops to treat an ear infection.
- As a poultice place around the neck to help relieve travel induces nausea and motion sickness.
- As a foot bath to ward of toe fungus.
- As a gargle solution to help relieve a sore throat and an oncoming cold.
- As a natural deodorant.
- As an antibacterial soap.
- A Pinch of Turmeric a Day Keeps Memory Loss Away
Eating a single gram of turmeric each day could cause short-term memory improvements in people predisposed to memory loss, according …
- Eating This Weird Looking Mushroom is a Proven Way to Relax and Boost Brain Performance
Nature provides an amazing array of resources to improve our health and boost our immunity. Mushrooms are a type of …
- 8 Health and Beauty Uses for Epsom Salt
Long gone are the days when magnesium sulfate, better known as Epsom salt, was used strictly to soothe tired feet. …
- Top 10 Questionable Fast Food Additives
When it comes to fast food, some of the health concerns are obvious. Deep-fried, high-fat, sugar-packed meals are, for the …
- She Got Tired of Eating The Same Old Breakfasts So She Cracked An Egg Over A Pepper… YUM!!
Are you fed up with your regular breakfast routine of cereal, oatmeal or omelettes? Try changing things up with a …
- Eating Nuts May Reduce Cancer Risk
A recent study cited by the British Journal of Cancer suggests that the consumption of nuts can significantly reduce pancreatic …
- 3-Ingredient Almond Fudge FILLED With Cancer-Fighting And Inflammation Reversing Nutrients
Sometimes a sweet tooth can be really hard to ignore. But grabbing a slice of cake or reaching for your …
- Nitrate-Rich Leafy Greens Amazingly ‘Good for The Heart’, Study Finds
A recent study by the Universities of Cambridge and Southampton has found that nitrate, found in leafy green vegetables, may …
- This Juice Replaced 40 Medications in Sick Woman’s Struggle
Approximately 106,000 Americans die from prescription drugs each year, according to the Journal of the American Medical Association. All the …
- Dirt Poor: Have Fruits and Vegetables Become Less Nutritious?
They don’t make ’em like they used to. True about cars, refrigerators, radios, and virtually every other consumable good–including food. …
- New Methodology Shows Higher Levels of Antioxidants In Fibre Than Previously Believed
The antioxidant activity of citrus juices and other foods is undervalued. A new technique developed by researchers from the University …
- 11 Plant-Based Substances That Help Support Healthy Blood Sugar Levels
Type 1 diabetes is currently considered an incurable disease – there are ways to manage and treat it, but ultimately …
- The 10 Most Cancer Causing Foods
Over the past few decades many common food items have been linked to increased cancer risk. Here are the 10 …
- Eating 10 Portions of This Food a Week Could Reduce Prostate Cancer Risk
It is likely that the standard Western diet and lifestyle are adding to increased prostate cancer risks, as this lifestyle is …
- This 14-Day Paleo Meal Plan Will Help You Lose Weight Fast!
The Paleo Diet has become very popular over the last several years which is why we created a paleo meal …