Himalayan pink salt originates from Pakistan and has been used for centuries for its therapeutic and cosmetic uses. The mineral was extensively used in trade for its therapeutic health benefits and has long been considered a precious commodity (1). Hence why, it is called the healing salt.
The salt contains a small amount of calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and slightly lower amounts of sodium than regular salt. For this reason, the salt can be quickly metabolized without increasing the concentration of potassium and sodium in the blood, which causes high blood pressure (2).
Why It’s Special
Himalayan salt contains 84 different minerals that are beneficial to your health.
Its crystals are the result of a very ordered arrangement of atoms, giving them their unique shape (3). Himalayan salt contains trace minerals and macrominerals, such as calcium, which plays a vital role in bone, teeth, and muscle health. The trace minerals (which are needed in small amounts for your health) include boron, chromium, copper, fluoride, iodine, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, and zinc (4).
With regular consumption, the healing salt has been known to help aid poor circulation, as well as detoxify the lungs and nasal passages, purify skin and alleviate symptoms of allergies, asthma, and a host of other ailments.
The origin of Himalayan salts stretches back nearly 250 million years, as ocean salt settled in geologic pockets around the earth. Himalayan salt is unrefined, unprocessed and hand-mined from salt caves.
Thanks to its rising popularity, Himalayan salt is now available at more health food stores, online retailers, and drug stores. It is important to read the labels and be sure what you’re purchasing is authentic Himalayan salt and not a processed knock off variety.
Himalayan Salt as a Medicine
Although Himalayan salt has been around for centuries, researchers have only begun to prove its healing abilities scientifically.
Its benefits include (5):
- Detoxifies the body and balances pH levels
- Improves hydration and electrolyte balance
- Improves the overall mineral status of the body
- Facilitates digestion
- Fights cell aging
- Relieves muscle cramps
- Balances out blood sugar
- Supports hormone balance
- Regulates blood pressure
- Improves sleep quality
- Boosts weight loss
- Supports thyroid and adrenal function
- Improves kidney and liver function
- Boosts mood and energy levels
- Promotes detoxification
If taken in moderation, Himalayan salt has no negative side effects and does not damage stomach, kidneys or other internal organs like processed salt can.
How To Use Himalayan Salt
Himalayan salt doesn’t have to be eaten to improve your health, it can also penetrate the skin to heal wounds and sore muscles
1. Salt Bath
As with Epsom salt, the amount of Himalayan salt you’ll need to add to your bath depends on your body weight. For best results, soak for 30 minutes shortly before going to bed.
Taking regular salt baths can help improve:
- Various skin diseases
- Insect bites, wounds, and blisters
- Skin irritation
- Gynecological problems (particularly postpartum)
- Joint pain and disease
- Post-operative recovery
- Excess bloating or water retention.
2. Natural Decongestant
To make a decongestant saline solution, add a teaspoon of salt to a half a liter of warm water and stir until dissolved. Use a small teapot or neti pot to distribute the solution into your nostril and clear them up.
3. Body Scrub
This scrub not only cleans your body just as effectively as soap, it also moisturizes your skin. All you need is a cup of Himalayan salt, ½ cup of coconut oil and a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Store the mixture in a glass jar and gently apply to wet skin in a circular motion to promote lymph flow. Rinse in the shower and skip the soap!
4. Acne-Fighting Toner
To make a healing salt toner, combined ½ cup of filtered water, 2 teaspoons of pink Himalayan salt and 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Store the mixture in a small glass bottle with a lid and apply to your face using a cotton ball. Use in the morning and at night for best results.
5. Himalayan Salt Lamps
Salt lamps can be purchased at most natural health food stores or new age shops. They have the ability to help detoxify your home from harmful electronic smog.
When the lamp is heated, it releases negative ions, which balance with the positive ions in the air transmitted from tech devices. The lamps have also been known to improve sleep quality, boost mental clarity, and even help reduce stress.
Himalayan salt can also use it in the following ways:
- As ear drops to treat an ear infection.
- As a poultice place around the neck to help relieve travel induces nausea and motion sickness.
- As a foot bath to ward of toe fungus.
- As a gargle solution to help relieve a sore throat and an oncoming cold.
- As a natural deodorant.
- As an antibacterial soap.
- Study Finds That Taking Turmeric Juice Is Equivalent To 60 Minutes Of Exercise
The more researchers learn about turmeric’s healing abilities, the more they take interest in the spice. As it stands, there …
- According to Researchers, Fruits Lose Over 80 Percent of Antioxidants After Being Refrigerated
Freeze-drying strawberries keeps all their Vitamin C and polyphenols and 92% of their antioxidants, saving more nutrients than by chilling …
- The #1 Food To Avoid If You Have High Blood Pressure
Many people struggle with high blood pressure – almost 30 percent of Americans have high blood pressure, and medications to …
- 10 Reasons To Drink More Apple Cider Vinegar
You may not think of apple cider vinegar as something that is a boon to your overall health, but it …
- Peppermint Oil Might Be the Answer to Some of Your Health Concerns
The essential oil of peppermint is used for a variety of things, and the scent is quite popular for everything …
- Make This Delicious And Easy Vegan Whipped Cream Recipe Using ONLY 3 Ingredients
If you’re lactose intolerant or simply prefer vegan recipes, you’ll love this! This vegan whipped cream is unlike anything you’ve …
- 8 Most Nutrient Dense Foods on Earth. Surprisingly, Half of These Aren’t Veggies.
There are a wide range of systems for ranking the nutritional density of foods out there – Dr. Joel Fuhman’s …
- 5 Important Nutrients You Could Be Lacking
In today’s Western society there really shouldn’t be any reason for vitamin deficiencies but due to poor dietary habits we …
- 5 Surprising Reasons Why Experts Recommend Eating This Everyday
Avocados are a miracle superfood, but they used to have a bad reputation. Very few American household keep them stocked …
- 5 Reasons Why Eating This Large Berry Makes You More Resistant to Heart Disease
Often deemed a “perfect food,” the avocado is considered one of the healthiest foods available. Even a study published in Nutrition …
- “The Fast Metabolism Diet”: Fad Crash Diet, or Long-term Lifestyle Change?
The Fast Metabolism Diet: Eat More Food and Lose More Weight is currently one of Amazon’s top five new bestsellers …
- Should I Eat That Peanut Butter Sandwich?
A peanut butter sandwich probably seems pretty innocuous, but is it really good for you? Let’s take apart this lunchtime …
- Can’t Afford Organic All The Time? No Worries, These 15 Foods Have Virtually No Pesticides!
Foods that are pesticides free – Accessibility? While many health-conscious shoppers choose to buy organic produce, the reality is that …
- Top 10 Homemade Seasoning Blends to Supercharge Your Health
Are you still buying all of your seasoning mixes at the store? It is so simple and cost effective to make …
- 6 Prebiotic-Rich Foods That Will Feed Your Healthy Gut Bacteria
Your gastrointestinal tract likely needs your help. That’s right, your gut. Your gut is essentially just a tube that transfers …