There are many factors that cause migraine headaches and people who regularly suffer from them know just how difficult they can be to avoid.
Migraines are often treated with pharmaceuticals that will temporarily relieve pain. The problem with using them is that the underlying cause of your migraine isn’t fixed and these drugs can make you feel loopy and exhausted. They’ve also been known to cause heart arrhythmia, stroke, and seizures.
Melatonin and Pain
Melatonin is known as “the sleep hormone” because it regulates the circadian rhythm, increasing as the day progresses and inciting chemical reactions in your brain that tells your body when it’s time to sleep.
Scientists investigating the actions of melatonin noticed that when melatonin levels were high, the experience of pain is decreased. This discovery led them to probe further into the implications of what else melatonin might do.
Melatonin calms pain receptors in the brain since it’s hard to sleep if you’re hurt. The question was then raised as to how this chemical might be used in the prevention and treatment of migraines.
In a study published in 1995, it was found that melatonin levels in women suffering from menses-associated migraines were well below normal (1). Since then, researchers have continued to study the effects of this natural chemical on pain with mixed results.
A Brazilian study published this year, however, showed that 3mg of melatonin effectively prevented migraines among a group of chronic migraine sufferers. Sufferers also experience weight loss. Not only that but the melatonin treatment was found to be “more tolerable than amitriptyline and as effective as amitriptyline”, a commonly prescribed migraine medication and antidepressant (2, 3).
How to Increase your Melatonin
Natural nutrient sources are always preferable to drugs since they are more readily utilized by the body and rarely have any side effects.
There are many foods you can eat that contain melatonin and/or will boost your natural production of this essential hormone (4):
- Flax seed
- Goji berry
- Orange bell peppers – of 24 fruits and vegetables analyzed in 2011, this had the highest melatonin content (5).
Other Lifestyle Tips
Apart from diet, physical activity is also a key component in your pineal gland’s ability to produce a sufficient amount of melatonin.
Keep these in mind for better quality sleep, even if you don’t suffer migraines.
- Electronic appliances such as televisions, smart phones, and computers emit blue light, making your body think it’s still daytime and suppressing melatonin production. Turn off such devices at least an hour before going to bed.
- Get outside: Your pineal gland takes its cues from the difference between light and dark. Exposure to bright sunlight provides vitamins you can’t readily get from other sources, like D and K. It’s also a formidable anti-depressant and anti-cancer agent. The contrast between the brightness of the day and the darkness of night tell your brain that it’s time to relax and settle down for the night, promoting melatonin production.
- Stay cool: You’re more likely to fall asleep and stay asleep if the ambient temperature of your bedroom is between 60° and 67°F (6).
- A foot massage administered immediately before lying down for sleep can improve oxygen flow, move lymph through your nervous system, and simply relax you. Mix a couple of relaxing essential oils with coconut oil to improve your massage.
Improving your sleep will also help ward off migraines and headaches (7).
- 3 Important Things To Consider When You’re Washing Your Hair (How Often Is Too Much?)
How many times a week do you wash your hair? Every dermatologist and hair stylist has a different recommendation. It’s …
- Important Facts You Should Know Before You Start Cracking Your Knuckles (Or Neck)
In an interview, chiropractor Dr. JaDean Anderson recommended that if you routinely crack your knuckles (neck, foot, elbow, etc.) that …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- 4 Unconventional Ways To Fight Off Colds and the Flu
As the weather gets colder, many people begin thinking about cold and flu season. While a great number of people …
- This Trick Instantly Reduces Puffiness, Relieves Bloating And Detoxifies Your Lymphatic System
Want to get rid of puffiness, bloating and swelling in one go? Then you need to try this! This low …
- 80% Of Heart Attacks Could Be Avoided If Everyone Did These 5 Easy Things
The American Heart Association releases heart disease stats annually (1). Cardiovascular disease accounts for about 1/3 of the death toll …
- Here’s 9 Essential Antioxidants To Help Protect Your Body From Free Radicals
We’ve all heard about antioxidants and how great they are for our health. But what exactly are antioxidants and how do …
- Burn Belly Fat Fast with This 6 Minute Exercise Circuit
When we think of our “core”, we may think only of our abdominal and pelvic muscles. Physiologically speaking, the core …
- Talcum Powder Is Linked To Cancer And Lung Damage
You would think that baby products are made to be as non-toxic as possible, but studies have shown that an …
- 7 Smart Ways To Lower Cholesterol Levels Naturally
Above-average cholesterol levels may be increasingly common but they definitely aren’t a good thing! As plaque builds up in artery …
- This Simple DIY Foot Massage Will Do Wonders For Your Sleep Tonight!
The rise of technology may make life easier, but it’s also interfering with some of your important instincts and biological …
- 5 Natural Herbs That Support Healthy Thyroid Function
The thyroid gland is an often overlooked but extremely vital part of the human body, responsible for a number of …
- Leading Poultry Producer Cuts Nearly All Antibiotic Use
Perdue, one of the biggest producers of chicken in the United States, issued a press release on September 3 stating …
- 4 Little Known Herbs That Help Protect Your Heart
Worried about your risk of stroke or heart attack? Maybe you have high cholesterol? In addition to medicine prescribed by …
- Place a Few of These Leaves in the Corners of Your House and You Will Never See a Roach Again
There’s nothing like a bug infestation to make your home feel dirty and inhospitable. One of the worst residents that …