There are many factors that cause migraine headaches and people who regularly suffer from them know just how difficult they can be to avoid.
Migraines are often treated with pharmaceuticals that will temporarily relieve pain. The problem with using them is that the underlying cause of your migraine isn’t fixed and these drugs can make you feel loopy and exhausted. They’ve also been known to cause heart arrhythmia, stroke, and seizures.
Melatonin and Pain
Melatonin is known as “the sleep hormone” because it regulates the circadian rhythm, increasing as the day progresses and inciting chemical reactions in your brain that tells your body when it’s time to sleep.
Scientists investigating the actions of melatonin noticed that when melatonin levels were high, the experience of pain is decreased. This discovery led them to probe further into the implications of what else melatonin might do.
Melatonin calms pain receptors in the brain since it’s hard to sleep if you’re hurt. The question was then raised as to how this chemical might be used in the prevention and treatment of migraines.
In a study published in 1995, it was found that melatonin levels in women suffering from menses-associated migraines were well below normal (1). Since then, researchers have continued to study the effects of this natural chemical on pain with mixed results.
A Brazilian study published this year, however, showed that 3mg of melatonin effectively prevented migraines among a group of chronic migraine sufferers. Sufferers also experience weight loss. Not only that but the melatonin treatment was found to be “more tolerable than amitriptyline and as effective as amitriptyline”, a commonly prescribed migraine medication and antidepressant (2, 3).
How to Increase your Melatonin
Natural nutrient sources are always preferable to drugs since they are more readily utilized by the body and rarely have any side effects.
There are many foods you can eat that contain melatonin and/or will boost your natural production of this essential hormone (4):
- Flax seed
- Goji berry
- Orange bell peppers – of 24 fruits and vegetables analyzed in 2011, this had the highest melatonin content (5).
Other Lifestyle Tips
Apart from diet, physical activity is also a key component in your pineal gland’s ability to produce a sufficient amount of melatonin.
Keep these in mind for better quality sleep, even if you don’t suffer migraines.
- Electronic appliances such as televisions, smart phones, and computers emit blue light, making your body think it’s still daytime and suppressing melatonin production. Turn off such devices at least an hour before going to bed.
- Get outside: Your pineal gland takes its cues from the difference between light and dark. Exposure to bright sunlight provides vitamins you can’t readily get from other sources, like D and K. It’s also a formidable anti-depressant and anti-cancer agent. The contrast between the brightness of the day and the darkness of night tell your brain that it’s time to relax and settle down for the night, promoting melatonin production.
- Stay cool: You’re more likely to fall asleep and stay asleep if the ambient temperature of your bedroom is between 60° and 67°F (6).
- A foot massage administered immediately before lying down for sleep can improve oxygen flow, move lymph through your nervous system, and simply relax you. Mix a couple of relaxing essential oils with coconut oil to improve your massage.
Improving your sleep will also help ward off migraines and headaches (7).
- Say Goodbye To High Blood Pressure And Cholesterol With This Powerful Drink
The American diet is full of bad fats, excess sugar and salt. These things can all contribute to severe heart …
- This Child’s Autistic Symptoms Miraculously Disappear After His Doctor Does THIS
Reverse Autism Every parent wants their child to be born healthy, no matter what it takes. But some of the …
- How to Make Ginger Water to Treat Migraines, Heartburn, Joint and Muscle Pain
Flavored waters are the new health craze—and for good reason. Not only is water essential for hydration and flushing toxins …
- How To Get Rid of Excess Water Weight In 3 Days
There are many reasons why your body holds on to excess water weight. It doesn’t do this to spite you. In …
- She Holds Coconut Oil In Her Mouth For 20 Minutes Every Day…The Effects Are Incredible!
Keeping your mouth healthy and teeth whiter just got a lot easier. All you have to start doing is add this …
- 5 Natural Ways to Bust Stress Immediately!
We can often find ourselves giving so much to others, be it at work or at home, that we often …
- Just 8 Weeks of Meditation Is Enough To Increase Gray-Matter In Your Brain
Just eight weeks of practicing meditation can spark measurable changes in brain regions associated with memory, stress, sense of self and …
- Homemade Makeup Remover Recipes – Toxins FREE
Looking for homemade makeup remover? “Why bother making your own make up remover creams and oils?” Simply put many of the …
- 4 Best Facial Exercises To Get Rid of Wrinkles, Eye Bags And Double-Chins
Face yoga is a real thing. Just like how working out your muscles helps keep your body slim, exercising the muscles …
- This Green Tea Coconut Oil Scrub Will Make Your Skin Silky Smooth And Visibly Younger
There’s nothing like dry air to make your skin look lifeless and dull, especially when it comes to your face. …
- Here’s 9 Essential Antioxidants To Help Protect Your Body From Free Radicals
We’ve all heard about antioxidants and how great they are for our health. But what exactly are antioxidants and how do …
- Salt, Pepper and Lemon Can Solve These 9 Problems Better Than Any Medicine
Salt, lemon and pepper may seem more like things you’d put on a salad, but these three ingredients actually work …
- 3-Ingredient Shots For Accelerated Weight Loss, Faster Metabolism & Better Digestion
Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but healthy eating goes way beyond a balanced meal. If …
- Coconut Oil & Honey Mixture – Powerful Remedy That Will Stop Cough Instantly
Have noticed that you or one of your loved ones cough a lot? If so, then you really have to …
- She Put Cabbage Leaves On Her Knee At Night – See The Results After a Month
It’s no surprise that many of the foods you know and eat everyday often have surprising healing properties. And while …