Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to have fresh herbs and produce whenever you want?
Gardening typically requires planting seeds in soil and waiting for months on end until your plant grows strong and can be harvested.
But many plants propagate through their root system, meaning that all you need to produce a large crop is a single mother plant. This is true for the mighty basil plant.
Health Benefits of Basil
Basil contains disease-fighting polyphenols such as flavonoids and anthocyanins (1). The plant also contains the powerful anti-inflammatory agent (E)-beta-caryophyllene (BCP), which helps treat arthritis and inflammatory bowel diseases (2).
Different varieties of basil have different benefits. For example, holy basil, which can be found in farmer’s markets and health food stores, has antianxiety effects that can help you manage stress by reducing your level of cortisol, a stress hormone (3).
How to Multiply Basil
All it takes is a bit of time and patience and a large quantity of soil.
- 1 store bought pot of basil
- Potting compost
- Well-draining small pots
- A Sunny windowsill
- Squeeze the planter pot in which the basil is planted. Grab the base of your plant and shake it gently to loosen the plant and remove it from the pot.
- Use your hand to gently split the soil in half, being careful not to break too many roots and not to ruin any stems.
- Identify the strongest stems, untangle them, and gently split the soil to isolate each one.
- Fill your pots with soil, make a small depression in the soil and place the stem in the dirt, being careful to firmly bury the roots.
- To encourage the plant to build new roots, cut the top of the stems, only leaving behind 2-3 base leaves.
- Place the pots in a warm, sunny place preferably free from drafts and temperature fluctuations.
- Within a month of replanting, the new pots can go outside during the day and place them inside at night to get them acclimatized to the weather.
- After a week or two of this transition, the plants can be planted outside for good.
- When You Experience a Food Coma, Your Body Is Trying To Tell You Something Important
Most of us have experienced the feeling of a “food coma” – that feeling of heaviness and fatigue that comes …
- How to ACCELERATE Liver Detox with Avocado, Turmeric, Garlic, and More
Your liver works exceedingly hard, processing everything you take into your body, using what’s needed, and sending the rest to …
- Indian State Will Pay Farmers To Go 100% Organic And GMO-Free
Organic food has taken the world by storm. And while some countries are riding the wave with very little regulation, …
- According To This Study, Poor Lifestyle Choices Can Affect Future Generations Through DNA
There’s evidence that environmental stressors and trauma can be passed down from one generation to the next(1), but now new …
- 3 Simple Ways to Shield Yourself from Computer and Cell Phone Radiation
With cell phones and computers becoming increasingly ubiquitous in society, many people are beginning to ponder the possibly negative effects …
- Why a Himalayan Salt Block Is One Of The Greatest Things You Could Own
If you’re into natural health, then you’ve probably swapped out your deadly table salt for healing Himalayan salt. Since you’re …
- Never Buy Laundry Detergent Again By Switching To This 5-Ingredient Mixture
Laundry detergent doesn’t just clean your clothes, it also harms your lungs. Surprised? A University of Washington study found that …
- FDA Finds Daily Aspirin Unnecessary for Heart Health
Around about 30 years ago, aspirin was identified as a harmless drug that could prevent a heart attack or stroke. …
- The Relationship Between Blood Sugar Levels And Stress Is More Serious Than You Think
The relationship between insulin and stress-related hormones is complex, but it’s important to understand it, especially for those living with …
- 17 Simple Home Remedies For Fighting Indigestion
There are many common causes for indigestion – eating too much is probably one of the most common, but it’s …
- Candida Overgrowth – 12 Things to Avoid If You Have It
Many women suffer from recurrent yeast infections. Candida albicans is a naturally-occurring microorganism (technically, a fungus) that lives in the …
- Doctor’s Warning: Check Baby Wipes Label For Possible Chemical That May Cause Rashes
Would you be surprised to learn that baby wipes are a relatively new product? American inventor, Arthur Julius, who later …
- How To Make Your Own Eco-Friendly Laundry Soap
We all need to do our laundry, but if you’re the kind of person who likes to keep an eye …
- No, They’re NOT Really Baby Carrots – Here’s What You Need To Know
Baby carrots don’t grow in nature. They’re actually a man-made product and were first introduced into the market in 1986 as a …
- These 2 Things Trigger Fibromyalgia. Here’s How To Avoid Them
There is no disputing we live in crazy, hectic times. Longer work hours to achieve the same or even less …