Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to have fresh herbs and produce whenever you want?
Gardening typically requires planting seeds in soil and waiting for months on end until your plant grows strong and can be harvested.
But many plants propagate through their root system, meaning that all you need to produce a large crop is a single mother plant. This is true for the mighty basil plant.
Health Benefits of Basil
Basil contains disease-fighting polyphenols such as flavonoids and anthocyanins (1). The plant also contains the powerful anti-inflammatory agent (E)-beta-caryophyllene (BCP), which helps treat arthritis and inflammatory bowel diseases (2).
Different varieties of basil have different benefits. For example, holy basil, which can be found in farmer’s markets and health food stores, has antianxiety effects that can help you manage stress by reducing your level of cortisol, a stress hormone (3).
How to Multiply Basil
All it takes is a bit of time and patience and a large quantity of soil.
- 1 store bought pot of basil
- Potting compost
- Well-draining small pots
- A Sunny windowsill
- Squeeze the planter pot in which the basil is planted. Grab the base of your plant and shake it gently to loosen the plant and remove it from the pot.
- Use your hand to gently split the soil in half, being careful not to break too many roots and not to ruin any stems.
- Identify the strongest stems, untangle them, and gently split the soil to isolate each one.
- Fill your pots with soil, make a small depression in the soil and place the stem in the dirt, being careful to firmly bury the roots.
- To encourage the plant to build new roots, cut the top of the stems, only leaving behind 2-3 base leaves.
- Place the pots in a warm, sunny place preferably free from drafts and temperature fluctuations.
- Within a month of replanting, the new pots can go outside during the day and place them inside at night to get them acclimatized to the weather.
- After a week or two of this transition, the plants can be planted outside for good.
- This Guy Was Born With Just One Arm… Watch Him Annihilate All Your Gym-Skpping Excuses
Excuses are the only things preventing most people from getting into shape. That’s why Luke Ericson’s strategy for dealing with this is simple: …
- Stop Wearing Shoes In Your House To Prevent The Spread of This Deadly Bacteria…
Your shoes go with you every time you step out of the house. Whether it’s a short walk around the …
- Just a Few Drops of THESE Essential Oils Will Have You Sleeping in No Time!
As you’ve probably experienced yourself, a night of poor sleep can make a world of difference in your mood, ability …
- 13 Easy Yoga Poses To FLUSH Stress Hormones From Your Body
Stress can quickly creep into your life and can often be hard to shake. Practicing various yoga poses have shown …
- You’ve Been Eating Garlic Wrong Your ENTIRE Life (and Missing Out On INCREDIBLE Benefits)
Garlic definitely has an interesting and versatile flavor profile, and the same could be said about its medicinal properties. In …
- 4 Delicious Foods You Can Eat Right Now To Help You Sleep Better
According to the US Center For Disease Control, somewhere between 50 and 70 million American adults struggle with some form …
- How To Lose Weight Using Simple Math
Keep this number in mind: 3500. That’s the number of calories in one pound. It is also the number …
- New Study Confirms Not so Surprising Fact About Weight Loss
I imagine this one will be all over the news today, and superficially I can certainly see why – a …
- The Sleep-Sock TRICK You Can Use to Fall Asleep Faster, Avoid Cracked Heels and Stay COOL
Sleep is important. It’s during those hours of slumber that your body undergoes regenerative processes that are necessary to health and restoration. …
- The Common Habits You Need To Stop Immediately To Cut Your Dementia Risk In Half
For many, it’s their worst nightmare: coming to the twilight years and being unable to function independently, unable to perform …
- 9 Signs of Hormone Imbalance Women Shouldn’t Ignore
Although you may think of hormones mainly in the context of puberty and sexual activity, there are many different kinds …
- Master List of Monsanto Owned “Food” Producers
What if you found out that your favorite brand isn’t as safe and family-friendly as its colorful branding makes it …
- Losing Just 1 Gram of Fat In The Pancreas Will Have THIS Effect On Your Body
Losing a single gram of fat could be enough to reverse type 2 diabetes – as long as that fat …
- This Is What Your Body Odor Says About Your Health And What You Can Do To Control It
Sweating is good for you. Perspiration cools the skin when it’s hot so you don’t overheat and is one way …
- They Said Apple Cider Vinegar Is Great For You, BUT This Is What They Didn’t Tell You
Apple cider vinegar is a must have ingredient in your kitchen and medicine cabinet. And while many health publications praise its …