Your liver is responsible for cleaning all the crud out of your body and breaking it down to a form that can be expelled through the skin, urine, or feces.
Toxin overload, evidenced by one or more of the symptoms below, may be telling you that your liver needs a little help.
Eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies will give your liver the nutrients it needs to detoxify naturally. If any of the following applies to you, you might want to consider making changes to your current diet.
- History of alcohol/drug use or hepatitis
- Long-term prescription drug use
- Sensitive to chemicals (tobacco smoke, personal care products, fumes, perfume, cleaning agents, etc.)
- Stomach upset by greasy foods
- Greasy or shiny stools
- History of nausea, motion sickness, or morning sickness
- Light or pale-colored stools
- Headache over the eyes
- Gallbladder attacks
- Bitter taste in the mouth (especially after meals)
- Becoming sick or easily intoxicated when drinking wine
- Easily hung-over
- Pain under right side of rib cage
- Hemorrhoids or varicose veins
- Chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia
Nutrients Needed for Natural Liver Detoxification
How to Cleanse: Liquid/Powder/?
Some people swear by liquid cleanses. These will surely clean you out but there are two things to consider: 1) if it’s too harsh you could be hurting yourself and 2) you’ll be hungry and may end up falling off the cleansing wagon. Proteins are toxins’ escorts so cutting back on these while trying to detoxify may be self-defeating. A short-term fast of 1-3 days may help you feel lighter and cleaner but a 3-week deal is probably too much and may result in nutrient deficiency, which is contrary to the healthifying objective.
You may opt for a whole-food cleanse to support your liver and the rest of your digestive system to do what comes naturally. A regular nutritionally-sound diet obviates the need for detox; by cutting out all the toxins you can and eating to support optimal cell function, everything runs smoothly–including your liver.
If you change your diet and eliminate the obvious offenders but still feel sluggish or experience some of the signs above, then a more aggressive regimen may be indicated (you should always consult a certified healthcare provider before embarking on a traditional cleanse). Your body is exceptionally adept at telling you what it needs; you simply have to pay attention.
Best Liver Detox Foods
Beets – uniquely formulated to thin bile, beets loosen up the flow. After toxins leave the liver, they are dunked in bile; if bile flow is sluggish (a common situation), it doesn’t work as well. Eating beets is like adding washing soda to the machine. Raw is best for detoxification: shred some and try a slaw with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and salt.
Fresh fruit – vitamin- and fiber-rich with nutritious phytonutrients, all fruit is good fruit. Those highest in vitamin C are especially good for the liver: grapefruit, orange, papaya, pineapple, kiwi, and berries.
Milk Thistle – The vibrant antioxidants in this spiky plant have been shown to reverse effects of liver cancer, inflammation, cirrhosis, and “fatty liver”. You can get it in a pill or tea–we like the tea.
Proteins – For detox, reduce/change animal proteins and increase the plant proteins. Animal muscle proteins are very complex and hard to break down, requiring a certain set of amino acids to do so. Ease up (but not out) on the kind of protein you are feeding your liver.
“Non-inflammatory” proteins of fish, eggs, quinoa, cultured dairy, beans, and–ironically–organ meats are supportive of liver detox, providing the necessary nutrition without having to work as hard to break down a steak, for instance. Bone broth is a good source of protein, easy and inexpensive to make, and versatile.
Water – Pure, filtered, fluoride-free water. Lots of it.
Liver health can’t be overemphasized. Next to the skin, our liver is the largest organ and is responsible for over two hundred metabolic processes. And we have only one.
- Laughter Shown to Work Better Than Pharmaceuticals And Affects The Body Like Exercise
We are rife with involuntary reactions. We know why we sneeze. We know why we cough. We know why we …
- Add These Three Ingredients To Your Shampoo And Say Goodbye To Hair Loss Forever
We usual associate hair loss with men, but it can actually be a really big problem for women. In fact, …
- 5 Best Slimming Thigh Exercises You Should Do But Don’t
Most people focus on toning up their core, but women often have trouble getting rid of excess weight in …
- What Skin Cancer Survivors Tell You about Sun Safety
As April rolls in, you’ll begin to see summer supplies fill store shelves in preparation for the warmer months. Tanning …
- 5 Benefits of Cupping Therapy Everyone Should Know!
Athletes at the Rio Olympics have brought into mainstream discussion the ancient practice of cupping, made obvious on their skins …
- Love Hurts: The Neuroscience Behind Heartache
It’s that time of year again. Whether you’d like to admit it or not, Valentine’s Day brings with it emotions, …
- Lead Developer Of HPV Vaccines Comes Clean, Warns Parents & Young Girls It’s All A Giant Deadly Scam
The HPV vaccine controversy has got many people confused. Here’s what you need to know. The human papillomavirus (HPV) is a …
- 5 Anti-Aging Herbs To Keep Your Liver Young And Happy (Just Drink Them As Tea!)
Did you know that your liver is the second largest organ in your body? In fact, it’s one of the …
- Warning Signs Your Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium Levels Are OFF and How To FIX It!
You might have noticed that working out or sweating excessively may leave you feeling tired and dehydrated even when you …
- This Brand Added Something To Its Toothpaste…It’s So Bad That Dentists Want It Removed!
You may be brushing your teeth with plastic. Proctor & Gamble (P&G) puts polyethylene beads in some varieties of their toothpastes …
- 12 Minutes A Day Is All You Need To Save Yourself From Loneliness
Every one feels a little lonely once in a while (loneliness). Some people even seek out time alone (solitude). But …
- 48 Foods to Balance Your Hormones, Boost Your Metabolism, and Lose Weight
Hormones are chemicals that the organs produce to regulate every function in the body. All processes are in delicate balance …
- She Put Cabbage Leaves On Her Knee At Night – See The Results After a Month
It’s no surprise that many of the foods you know and eat everyday often have surprising healing properties. And while …
- This Is What Happens To Your Body When You Give Up Sugar And Alcohol For One Whole Month!
Let’s be frank: sugar is everywhere. It’s in virtually every processed product on the market. Because almost everything we eat …
- 7 Facts You Need To Know About Toxins
One of the current crazes in healthy living is the detox, or a systematic cleansing of the body to rid …