Many herbs have tremendous medicinal value and have been used for thousands of years.
As Western society catches up with other cultures that have done a better job of retaining knowledge of natural medicine, we “discover” plants that are specialists in attending to human nutritional needs.
Milk thistle is one of these.
Milk thistle supplements can be found in tablet and capsule form. Silymarin is the active ingredient that is key to its effect on cleansing and maintaining liver health and preventing cancer.
How Milk Thistle Helps the Liver
Your liver bears a heavy responsibility in your body, most having to do with filtering the blood to process the essential nutrients and remove toxins. It also helps in the production of proteins needed for blood clotting and bile, which is used for digesting food. Milk thistle increases glutathione levels in the blood.
This powerful antioxidant grabs toxins, free radicals, and heavy metals as it courses through your body. Studies have shown use of milk thistle to reverse effects of liver cancer, inflammation, cirrhosis, and “fatty liver”. Additional studies have found milk thistle extremely beneficial in the treatment of viral hepatitis in as little as fourteen days.
How Milk Thistle Helps Prevent Cancer
Research reported at the University of Maryland concluded that silymarin stops cancer cells from division and reproduction and kills them without hurting healthy cells. There are indications that when used as a sunscreen silymarin can reduce the incidence of skin cancer.
Another study at Columbia University concluded that milk thistle initiated a marked trend in the reduction of liver toxicity in children with leukemia without affecting the chemotherapy agents applied. There is also evidence specifically linking milk thistle to the arrest and reversal of cancer in the lungs.
Milk thistle is also an antidote to deathcap mushroom poisoning. In addition to fighting toxins and cancers inside the body, this stupendous herb benefits the skin, providing moisture and promoting softness, reducing inflammation and discoloration.
Milk thistle can interact with some medications so if you are taking any prescription or supplement on a regular basis, check with your health care provider before adding milk thistle to your diet.
As we continue to learn and grow, we will be amazed at the ways in which the plants that just to happen grow around us can help us heal and stay well.
- Regular Mid-Day Naps Can Help Lower Blood Pressure And Decrease Your Risk of Heart Attacks
New research revealed at the European Society of Cardiology conference in London, England(1) has shown that a regular mid-day nap …
- 10 Warning Signs That Your Heart Is Having Problems Doing Its Job
Exercise, cutting back on smoking, and becoming more fit can all help improve blood circulation. If you think this might …
- This Guy Was Born With Just One Arm… Watch Him Annihilate All Your Gym-Skpping Excuses
Excuses are the only things preventing most people from getting into shape. That’s why Luke Ericson’s strategy for dealing with this is simple: …
- Chemical in Plastic is 100X More Toxic Than Initially Suspected?! (Here’s 7 Natural Ways to Detox)
The chemical bisphenol A – or BPA for short – is used in tens of thousands of consumer products, but …
- 4 EFFECTIVE Mood-Boosting Juices That Fight Depression WITHOUT Dangerous Side Effects
Poor nutrition not only results in physical disease, but emotional and mental disorders as well. Even though the importance of …
- 10 Signs You May Have an Ulcer
An ulcer is a painful sore in the stomach lining or at the opening of the small intestine. Ulcers happen …
- Wearing a Pair of Eyeglasses Like These Could Help You Sleep Better At Night And Here’s Why
According to the CDC, insufficient sleep is a national epidemic, “linked to motor vehicle crashes, industrial disasters, and medical and …
- Here’s Why So Many Olympic Athletes Are Going Crazy For THIS Ancient Healing Technique!
If you’ve been following the Rio Olympics this year, then you’ve probably caught a glimpse of the large polka-dots bruises …
- New Study: The More you Hug your Kids, the More Their Brains Develop
To borrow a phrase: love works in mysterious ways. We are born to love and, as it turns out, love …
- He Put 3 Sponges In The Refrigerator – When You See Why, You Will Do The Same Thing!
The fresher your food, the more nutrients it retains. This is a basic concept that everyone understands. So what can do …
- How To Prevent The Deadliest of All Types of Cancer By Eating This ONE Thing!
Pancreatic cancer is no joke. Because it’s difficult to spot in the early stages, the disease is one of the …
- Black Pepper And Turmeric – The Combination That Could Save Lives
Breast cancer is one of the most feared diseases that can affect both men and women. Although breast cancer itself …
- How To Drink Your Excess Weight Away In 8 Weeks
It’s no secret that obesity has become one of the most wide-spread medical conditions worldwide. And while being overweight is …
- How to Measure and Protect Your Hearing
Did you know that 1 in 5 people in the U.S. suffer from hearing loss, and that 80% of those …
- Here’s Why Enameled Cast Iron Cookware Is The Best
What you cook your food in is as important as the food itself. Non-stick and aluminum cookware are known to …