Sometimes the weirdest tricks have the best results.
While cabbage leaves are amazing in dishes, they can also be used to treat the following health problems.
1. Wound Healing
Cruciferous vegetables like cabbage and broccoli contain methionine, an essential amino acids required for growth and tissue repair. In fact, placing a a piece of lightly blanched cabbage over your wounds fight infection and inflammation and reduces healing time (1).
The acid also prevent tynenol and copper poisoning, treats liver disorders as well as helps cure depression, alcoholism, allergies, asthma, schizohrenia and Parkinson’s disease.
2. Headaches Relief
Cabbage is full of vitamin c & k, folate, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and iron (2). These ingredients work together to prevent headaches caused by nutritional deficiency, particularly tension headaches (3).
Methionine also promotes detoxification by binding to heavy metals like lead and mercury and helping the body expel them (4). This in turn improves overall body function and prevents toxin-related headaches.
3. Pain-free Breastfeeding
The International Breastfeeding Center suggest the use of cabbage to decrease engorgement and promote milk flow (5). To use, crush green cabbage leaves with a rolling pin to help them mold unto you breast.
Leave on your breast for 20 minutes, twice a day and follow up with a feeding or pumping session. You can also use cabbage after a feeding and leave them on until they wilt.
Rob Hicks, a GP and hospital doctor, suggests that new mothers use chilled cabbage leaves straight from the fridge to relieve breast tenderness or slightly blanched leaves on their abdomen to ease postpartum and menstrual pain (6).
4. Heal Thyroid Imbalance
Although eating cruciferous vegetables may interfere with proper hormone function, traditional medicine practitioners suggest that wrapping cabbage leaves over your thyroid gland overnight can help balance thyroid hormones and neutralize thyroid-disrupting hormones to restore proper balance.
5. Reduce Swelling
Karen Howell, a liscenced physical therapist, recommends the topical use of cabbage on sore and inflamed joints (7). Cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables contain glucosinolate, an anti-inflammatory and cancer-fighting compound (8).
How To Use
- Cut out the stiff vein that runs through each leaf to help it mold onto your skin.
- Lay the leaves on a cutting board lined with plastic wrap.
- Place paper towel under and over the leaves and pound with a meat cleaver to activate the vegetable’s active compounds.
- Remove leaves from the paper towel and place directly on your sore joint, using plastic wrap to keep it in place.
If you’re experiencing severe pain, place a cold pack over the leaves and secure in into place using a cloth bandage or towel.
You can also use cabbage to reduce swelling caused by edema (9). Simply clean and dry the leaves, refrigerate until cool and place on your swollen limb to draw out excess fluid. Leave them until they become wet, then repeat with fresh leaves until your symptoms subside.
- It’s Easy to Grow a Mint Plant – Here Are 15 Reasons Why You Should
Mint is one of those versatile herbs that lends its flavor to a huge variety of foods. Growing a mint …
- Genetically Modified ‘Super Banana’ to be Tested on Americans
Vitamin A deficiency is still an issue in many parts of the world, Africa and southeast Asia the areas in …
- How To Use 2 Common Household Spices To STOP Your Muscles From Aching
Waking up from a good night’s sleep is one of the most amazing and comfortable feelings in the world. Muscle …
- Two Natural Solutions For Bleeding Gums, Gingivitis, And a Healthy Heart
Researchers from Brazil’s Paraíba State University have determined that extracts of pomegranate and chamomile can help heal bleeding gums. The …
- It Just Keeps on Getting Weirder. Coke Is Going To Try And Sell You Premium Milk.
Soda sales are falling, so Coca-Cola is getting ready to sell us a new drink. You may have heard of …
- You’re Brushing Your Teeth Wrong! Here’s a Technique That’s 3X More Effective At Removing Plaque
Your dentist is right, you’re brushing your teeth wrong. Most people choose to either brush their teeth from side to …
- Cleanse Your Kidneys of Toxins With These Effective 1-Ingredient Drinks
Your kidneys are constantly clearing your blood of harmful substances and toxins. When overloaded, kidneys can slowly accumulate toxins in its tissues, …
- 10 Things to Avoid To Keep Your Eyes Healthy
There are many things people do that can wreak havoc on their eyesight. From falling asleep with your contact lenses …
- Go the Extra Healthy Mile With Geranium Oil
The benefits of essential oils are many, from relieving pain and killing germs to promoting relaxation. Used in aromatherapy or …
- What Kind of Plastic Are You Eating Out of?
There’s been a lot of talk recently about BPA and other ingredients in plastics that can have a negative effect …
- How Dr. Oz Stays Healthy
Everyone’s favorite celebrity physician, Dr. Mehmet Oz, shares the following seven tips for health and wellness, based on his own …
- The Oncologist Told Her She Only Had 6 months Left to Live. Boy, Did She Prove Her Wrong!
An Australian woman in her mid-50s posted a YouTube video explaining how she eliminated her stage IV lung cancer with …
- Is Your Lack of Sleep Contributing To Your Weight Gain & Depression
A new study has presented findings showing that the root cause of obesity may be caused initially by a person’s …
- The Scientific Power of Naps
Studies have found different benefits—and detriments—to a nap’s timing, duration and even effect on different people, depending on one’s age …
- The Product That Should Be Hydrating Your Chapped Lips Could Be Poisoning You
Having dry lips is one of the most annoying things that seems to happen all the time. The more your …