Sometimes the weirdest tricks have the best results.
While cabbage leaves are amazing in dishes, they can also be used to treat the following health problems.
1. Wound Healing
Cruciferous vegetables like cabbage and broccoli contain methionine, an essential amino acids required for growth and tissue repair. In fact, placing a a piece of lightly blanched cabbage over your wounds fight infection and inflammation and reduces healing time (1).
The acid also prevent tynenol and copper poisoning, treats liver disorders as well as helps cure depression, alcoholism, allergies, asthma, schizohrenia and Parkinson’s disease.
2. Headaches Relief
Cabbage is full of vitamin c & k, folate, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and iron (2). These ingredients work together to prevent headaches caused by nutritional deficiency, particularly tension headaches (3).
Methionine also promotes detoxification by binding to heavy metals like lead and mercury and helping the body expel them (4). This in turn improves overall body function and prevents toxin-related headaches.
3. Pain-free Breastfeeding
The International Breastfeeding Center suggest the use of cabbage to decrease engorgement and promote milk flow (5). To use, crush green cabbage leaves with a rolling pin to help them mold unto you breast.
Leave on your breast for 20 minutes, twice a day and follow up with a feeding or pumping session. You can also use cabbage after a feeding and leave them on until they wilt.
Rob Hicks, a GP and hospital doctor, suggests that new mothers use chilled cabbage leaves straight from the fridge to relieve breast tenderness or slightly blanched leaves on their abdomen to ease postpartum and menstrual pain (6).
4. Heal Thyroid Imbalance
Although eating cruciferous vegetables may interfere with proper hormone function, traditional medicine practitioners suggest that wrapping cabbage leaves over your thyroid gland overnight can help balance thyroid hormones and neutralize thyroid-disrupting hormones to restore proper balance.
5. Reduce Swelling
Karen Howell, a liscenced physical therapist, recommends the topical use of cabbage on sore and inflamed joints (7). Cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables contain glucosinolate, an anti-inflammatory and cancer-fighting compound (8).
How To Use
- Cut out the stiff vein that runs through each leaf to help it mold onto your skin.
- Lay the leaves on a cutting board lined with plastic wrap.
- Place paper towel under and over the leaves and pound with a meat cleaver to activate the vegetable’s active compounds.
- Remove leaves from the paper towel and place directly on your sore joint, using plastic wrap to keep it in place.
If you’re experiencing severe pain, place a cold pack over the leaves and secure in into place using a cloth bandage or towel.
You can also use cabbage to reduce swelling caused by edema (9). Simply clean and dry the leaves, refrigerate until cool and place on your swollen limb to draw out excess fluid. Leave them until they become wet, then repeat with fresh leaves until your symptoms subside.
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …