Everybody gets dark circles under their eyes, even children and young adults. Despite this, the beauty industry is always emphasizing that they should be hidden or chemically altered to be beautiful.
If it isn’t concealers and highlight powder, there’s always a new eye cream to add to your beauty routine that promises to get rid of dark circles. But do any of these products actually work? If so, at what cost to your health?
Dark circles can be caused by the following (1):
- Contact dermatitis
- Heredity — dark under-eye circles can run in families
- Pigmentation irregularities
- Rubbing or scratching your eyes
- Sun exposure, which prompts your body to produce more melanin, the pigment that gives skin its color
- Thinning skin and loss of fat and collagen, which can make the reddish-blue blood vessels under your eyes more obvious
- Poor blood and lymph circulation
Sometimes it’s just a questions of shadows being cast by puffy eyelids or hollows under your eyes that develop as a normal part of aging (2).
How To Use Baking Soda To Reduce Dark Circles
Baking Soda is a natural exfoliate, which promotes blood flow and moves along lymph as you gently massage it onto your skin.
Similarly to dry brushing, exfoliating also promotes skin cell renewal.
- A shot glass of hot water or chamomile tea
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Mix ingredients well until they form a paste.
- Soak cotton pads in the mixture and place them under the eyes.
- Gently massage for 2-5 minutes.
- Leave on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and pat your face dry with a clean towel.
- Follow up with coconut oil or your favorite moisturizer.
You can also reduce puffiness by leaving a spoon in your freezer overnight and applying it under your eyes in the morning, leaving it on until it becomes warm.
Since dark circles can be caused by fatigue and dehydration, always make sure to get a good night’s sleep and drink plenty of water to keep your skin looking healthy.
Most of all, remember that you define your own beauty, not the cosmetic industry.
- Never, Ever Wash Raw Chicken at Home. Here’s Why.
Why do we do it? My mother did it, that’s why. Washing chicken before you cook it seems logical…we wash our …
- Top 6 Reasons Why You’re Forgetful
Did you forget where you put your keys again? Maybe you can’t remember what you ate for dinner yesterday. Memory …
- The Leaves of Soursop Are 1000 Times Stronger at Killing Cancer Cells Than Chemotherapy
Graviola, or soursop, is a tropical fruit native to South America and the Caribbean. Known also as custard apple (THAT …
- This is Why You Always Wake Up in the MIDDLE of the Night (and how to make it STOP)
Getting a full night’s rest can make you feel like a whole new person at the beginning of the day. …
- This Natural Food Could End The Use of Harmful Pesticides And There’s Already a Patent For It
This article first appeared on JeffereyJaxen. Humanity is facing a toxicity problem as our immediate environment becomes increasingly riddled with pesticides. They are …
- Powerful Alternative to Aspirin Grows On Trees and Has 40-Years of Research to Back It Up
Aspirin’s long held promises are increasingly falling flat. A natural, safer and more effective alternative to this synthetic drug has …
- Research: Roundup Diluted by 450-Fold Still Remains Toxic
A truism: when two separate things are combined, they create something new. Not necessarily better or worse than the constituents, …
- The Germiest Places In Your Kitchen
You probably do a pretty decent job of keeping your kitchen clean – you scrub down the counters, rinse out …
- 5 Anti-Aging Herbs To Keep Your Liver Young And Happy (Just Drink Them As Tea!)
Did you know that your liver is the second largest organ in your body? In fact, it’s one of the …
- 6 Natural Ways to Improve Your Digestion
It is something our bodies do without us even realizing: digest. Yes, all the food you put into your body …
- Why You Need to STOP Putting Toilet Paper Down On Public Toilet Seats Immediately
Public restrooms and toilet seats can be the stuff of nightmares. Try as you may to reduce your exposure to …
- Advice from the Expert: How to Live Longer and Feel Better
Linus Pauling stands apart as the expert on life prolonging techniques. The only two-time Nobel Laureate – once in Chemistry …
- Get Rid of Foot Pain in Minutes With These 6 Effective Stretches
In Reflexology, the feet are the center of the body: all energy meridians used in acupuncture flow through the feet. …
- These 18 Brands Of Lipstick Are Full Of Cancer-Causing Heavy Metals
Could your lipstick be full of hidden toxins? Women of all ages use lipsticks and gloss to brighten or finish …
- 10 Detox Baths For Relaxation and Rejuvenation
A detox bath is a great way to help cleanse the body, relax the mind, and provide extra support to …