Everybody gets dark circles under their eyes, even children and young adults. Despite this, the beauty industry is always emphasizing that they should be hidden or chemically altered to be beautiful.
If it isn’t concealers and highlight powder, there’s always a new eye cream to add to your beauty routine that promises to get rid of dark circles. But do any of these products actually work? If so, at what cost to your health?
Dark circles can be caused by the following (1):
- Contact dermatitis
- Heredity — dark under-eye circles can run in families
- Pigmentation irregularities
- Rubbing or scratching your eyes
- Sun exposure, which prompts your body to produce more melanin, the pigment that gives skin its color
- Thinning skin and loss of fat and collagen, which can make the reddish-blue blood vessels under your eyes more obvious
- Poor blood and lymph circulation
Sometimes it’s just a questions of shadows being cast by puffy eyelids or hollows under your eyes that develop as a normal part of aging (2).
How To Use Baking Soda To Reduce Dark Circles
Baking Soda is a natural exfoliate, which promotes blood flow and moves along lymph as you gently massage it onto your skin.
Similarly to dry brushing, exfoliating also promotes skin cell renewal.
- A shot glass of hot water or chamomile tea
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Mix ingredients well until they form a paste.
- Soak cotton pads in the mixture and place them under the eyes.
- Gently massage for 2-5 minutes.
- Leave on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and pat your face dry with a clean towel.
- Follow up with coconut oil or your favorite moisturizer.
You can also reduce puffiness by leaving a spoon in your freezer overnight and applying it under your eyes in the morning, leaving it on until it becomes warm.
Since dark circles can be caused by fatigue and dehydration, always make sure to get a good night’s sleep and drink plenty of water to keep your skin looking healthy.
Most of all, remember that you define your own beauty, not the cosmetic industry.
- 4 Telltale Signs Your Body is Flooded With Toxins And How To Fix It!
Nobody likes to think of their body as a poisonous wasteland—nor endure the accompanying symptoms. Read on to discover four …
- Maryland To Become First State to Ban Bee-Killing Pesticides
Pesticides have become an ever-increasing problem for wildlife and biodiversity. One of the most vulnerable victims to these chemicals has …
- According To This Study, Poor Lifestyle Choices Can Affect Future Generations Through DNA
There’s evidence that environmental stressors and trauma can be passed down from one generation to the next(1), but now new …
- 12 Types of Pain That Are Directly Linked To Emotional States
You may have noticed that people who are often ill tend to be pretty negative. Of course, it’s hard to …
- 5 Easy Ways To Free Yourself From Sugar Addiction
Okay, so maybe “easy” is the wrong word – sugar addiction is real and many people struggle to cut down …
- 7 Herbs That Help Reduce Stress Naturally
There’s nothing good about stress – multiple studies show that stress is associated with weight gain, cardiovascular issues, and countless …
- 15 Multipurpose Healing Herbs To Grow in Your Home or Garden
Not so long ago, drug stores simply didn’t exist, and neither did pharmaceuticals. Instead, our great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents relied on …
- How To Recognize Skin Cancer – This Could Save Your Life
Melanoma poses the most serious threat over all forms of cancer. The American Cancer Society has predicted that there will …
- 20 Little-Known Uses for Dandelions From Baking and Pain RELIEF to Quickly Removing Warts
If you’ve ever had a garden or a backyard, then you know how annoying it is to get rid of …
- This 70-Year-Old Woman Looks 30 And Reveals Her Eating Secrets
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” – Hippocrates It is in this that Annette Larkins places …
- 35 Easy Tips to Help Fend off Stress
Stress can be detrimental to your work performance, not to mention the negative effects it has on aging, anger, and …
- Depression May Some Day Be Diagnosed with a Blood Test
Clinical depression is a growing world-wide epidemic: 350 million people suffer from it. Unlike some other illnesses, diagnosis is often …
- Aldi Bans Neonicotinoids, Goes Organic, Rivals Whole Foods As Healthiest Grocery Store
Aldi is one of the largest grocery retailers in the world with stores in 18 countries. Founded in Germany in …
- Cancer-Stricken Woman Gets Layoff Letter After Boss Learns She’s Fighting the Disease
This story sends a pall over the whole medical profession. It also re-affirms faith in love. Carol Jumper had worked …
- The Single Best Thing You Can Do For Your Health
In this short video presentation, Dr. Mike answers the old question “What is the single best thing we can do …