5. Eat cooked animal liver or take a liver supplement – there are many benefits to eating organ meats. While it may seem kind of weird to eat animal liver to support your own liver, it actually makes a lot of sense, as the nutrients and composition of the meat are the same as yours.
Ensure the liver is from organic or grass-fed animals to avoid the chemicals with which conventionally-raised animals are infused. If you don’t like to eat liver, supplements can be found in capsule form.
Quick-start 24-hour Liver Cleanse
The liver doesn’t get gunked up overnight; neither can you completely clean it out in that time. The steps we’ve laid out above are intended as a long-term solution to liver detoxification and support.
We can, however, offer a boost that will wake up a sluggish liver and start chipping away at the toxins that affect it.
To prepare for the twenty-four-hour cleanse and improve its efficacy, start seven days before.
- Eat: kale, cabbage, lettuces, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, citrus fruits, asparagus, beets, and celery.
- Cut out: processed foods and alcohol.
- Limit or eliminate: meats, refined carbohydrates, and gluten.
- Drink: one or more of our liver detox tonics (click on the link for a recipe – you can always mix and match)
Liver Detox Drink
At the end of the week, mix and drink only the following cleansing detox drink for an entire day. How much you prepare depends on how much you will drink; consume a minimum of 72 ounces of this mixture and 72 ounces of water throughout the day.
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 oranges
- 3 lemons
- 54 ounces filtered water
- 18 ounces cranberry juice (real organic juice, not “cocktail” or mixed juices)
- Place nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon in a tea diffuser and steep in simmering water for 20 minutes. Remove water from heat and allow to cool.
- Squeeze juice from oranges and lemons and mix with spice water. You may sweeten with honey, maple syrup, molasses, or organic stevia, if desired.
- Mix cranberry juice with water.
- Add citrus juices and mix well.
- Sip throughout the day, alternating with plain water.
After your quick-start liver cleanse, re-introduce the foods you ate the week before, then follow the guidelines above to continue the detoxification process. Once you’ve resumed your normal diet with the modifications outlined, repeat the twenty-four-hour cleanse periodically to maintain a healthy liver.
Your liver is at work at all times to purify your blood, aid in digestion, and secrete vital hormones. Keeping it clean will help your liver to work at its best, heal from damage, and prevent diseases of all kinds in the long term.