In the west when we think of super foods we usually picture avocados or strawberries but in many other cultures organ meat is considered one of the healthiest, most nutrient dense foods you can consume.
One of the reasons that liver never fared to well in the west is the misconception that the liver holds toxins and could be unhealthy.
The reality is that the liver doesn’t contain any more toxins than the rest of the body does.
In fact, studies have shown that the liver functions more as a way to move toxins out of your body than to store them. The cleaner the animal the cleaner the liver. This is why it is important to look for grass fed organic meats. Whether you are cooking a steak or a liver you want your food to be clean and healthy.
Why is Liver so Good for You
- Liver contains an abundance of iron and is concentrated in a very usable form for your body.
- Liver is a fantastic source of Vitamin A.
- Liver contains copper, folic acid, purines and cholesterol.
- Athletes love it for its effectiveness in combating fatigue.
Dr. Weston Price, a man considered to be an expert in the field of nutrition has stated that many cultures that make use of organ meat as a regular part of their diets lived free from many of the chronic illness that plague so many Americans. Dr. Price also points out that in the animal kingdom a predator will instinctively go for the organ meat because it is such a powerhouse of nutrition. Compared with the meat from muscle tissue that most of us are used to, the liver is a far superior provider of nutrition. 
How to Prepare Liver
Liver is best prepared the same day as purchased but can stay in refrigeration for a few days. It can be sliced thin and grilled or fried. Liver and onions is a popular recipe but the liver meat can be prepared a number of ways. There are some excellent recipes for beef liver dumpling soup, liver wraps and liver with gravy. If none of that sounds appealing to you or you just don’t care for the taste you can even make liver pills. You can buy the pills at health food stores or used pasteurized liver to easily make your own at home.
What Kind of Liver to Buy
There are many ways to have a great meal using beef liver or chicken liver. However, many people find they prefer calf liver. The calf liver will likely contain less heavy metal toxins which accumulate in older animals.
It is also important to choose meat that was raised in a healthy environment, free from any toxic contamination and that was grass fed and grown organically. If you are unable to determine where the meat has originated then calf meat is your best bet. A 2004 study by researchers in Pakistan supports the idea that calf meat is the healthiest.
Their research showed that the meat from cattle, chicken and sheep will accumulate varying amounts of heavy metals over the animal’s lifetime. However, this does not mean that the liver will hold any more or less toxins than any other part of the body.
Whether liver for dinner sounds appetizing or not it may be worth a try! The nutrient rich organ meat is hard to beat when it comes to the nutritional value you will get with just one meal.
- Natural Compound in Beets Helps Fight Cancer, Study Finds
Beets are good for you – an excellent source of nutrition, high in fiber and low in calories, they make …
- Top 10 SuperFoods For Weight Loss
There’s no such thing as a “negative calorie” food, unfortunately, but there are plenty of superfoods that can give your …
- 8 Foods Even The Experts Won’t Eat
Food scientists are shedding light on items loaded with toxins and chemicals–and simple swaps for a cleaner diet and supersized …
- She Punches Holes In Paper Bags…What She Does Next Is Brilliant (Can’t Wait To Try This!)
Many people choose to buy and store herbs like garlic and onions in bulk, but if you don’t use them …
- 5 Ways to Improve Nutrient Absorption
Eating all the right fruits, veggies, and healthy foods isn’t very much help if your body isn’t getting all that …
- After Reading This, You’ll Never Look At Beets The Same Way Again
Beets are one of the most underappreciated root vegetables around the world. Colorful, acidic, and nutrient-dense, beets make a wonderful …
- 3-Ingredient Matcha Lemonade Effectively Burns Stomach Fat And Alkalizes The Body
What’s better than a sip of lemonade to quench your thirst? Ice tea maybe? With all the added sugar in …
- 3 Reasons to Consider Switching to This Naturally Pink Looking Salt (No. 1 It’s Rich In Minerals!)
Salt is an essential nutrient that our bodies require for transporting nutrients into and out of our cells, regulating blood …
- Next Gen Vending Machine Dispenses Fresh Foods Instead Of Junk Food
Imagine a world where, instead of chips and candy coming out of a vending machine, fresh local organic salads, breakfasts …
- Drink Lemon Water Instead of Pills if You Have One of These 11 Problems
Lemons are very versatile fruits—with loads of vitamin C (a primary nutrient for immune system support), vitamin B6, calcium, potassium, …
- Top 10 Worst Things That Can Happen When You Run Out Of These Important Nutrients
No matter who you are, your body needs a variety of vitamins and minerals to stay up and running. If …
- Homemade Herbal Decongestant – Instant Fire Cider
Autumn is a great time of year to start a batch of traditional fire cider, pungent and spicy blend of …
- This Miracle Healing Herb From Nature Helps Fight 5 Different Types of Cancer
Often called the “Miracle Tree,” Moringa oleifera is native to South Asia but can now be found throughout the tropics. Ancient …
- Sauerkraut Lab Results Reveal Shocking Probiotic Count…It’s Even Better Than Yogurt!
“Probiotics” (meaning “for life”) is the name given to microorganisms that live in our bodies—primarily in the intestines—keeping balance, cleaning …
- 7 Ingredients That Are Depleting Your Body of Important Nutrients
Unless you’re living on a farm in the middle of nowhere, chances are you consume at least some packaged foods. …