Got a headache that just won’t go away? Many people find that traditional over-the-counter pain relief medication is ineffective in dealing with persistent headaches, which can be caused by stress, tension, dehydration, or any number of external or internal factors.
Fortunately, there’s a natural remedy that has gained much recognition for helping people deal with chronic, painful headaches – lavender lemonade. Lavender is a purple plant that has a complex structure and myriad health benefits, ranging from anti-inflammatory to anti-fungal to antidepressant effects.
Now you can harness the effects of this herbal remedy with this simple, easy-to-make recipe for lavender lemonade – a sweet drink that can also help cure even the most persistent of headaches.
So stock some dried lavender flowers in your medicine cabinet – it can be found at most health food stores and pharmacies – and the next time you find yourself wishing that headache would leave you alone, mix up a batch of this lavender lemonade – you’ll be glad you did.
Lavender Lemonade Recipe
- 1 cup raw honey
- 12 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
- Juice from 6 lemons
- In a large saucepan, bring water and honey to a boil. Remove from the heat; add lavender. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Strain, discarding lavender. Stir in cold water and lemon juice. Serve over ice. Yield: 6 servings.
Why It Works So Well
Lavender has a long history of use as an anxiolytic drug – it’s an effective mood stabilizer and analgesic agent, as well as a mild herbal sedative. The combination of these effects make it perfect for treating stress and tension headaches caused by muscle spasms and tension in the body – safe and effective, just inhaling the scent of the oil can have a marked impact on the treatment.
While some scientists remain sceptical – there are clinical trials and studies on the efficacy and long-term safety of the use of lavender in treating headaches, anxiety, and depression. The evidence strongly supports the theory that lavender is one of the most powerful so-called “nutraceuticals” out there today.
The Power of Hydration
Many headaches are caused by dehydration – if you’re also experiencing a dry, sticky mouth, sleepiness, decreased urine output and constipation in addition to your headaches, you’re probably not getting enough fluids.
Hydrating with a simple juice like lemonade could be exactly what your body needs to restore balance and eliminate that painful headache.
Other Ways To Use Lavender To Relax
- Mix 5 to 6 drops of Lavender essential oil to your bath water if you have dry skin.
- Diffuse 10 to 12 drops of Lavender essential oil into the air during your workday for natural stress relief.
- Add 2 drops of Lavender oil per ounce of your favorite lightly scented, unrefined organic oil (like almond oil or olive oil) for a body oil with all the benefits of lavender for improving your skin, relaxing your mind, warding off insects or helping you sleep.
http://headaches.about.com/od/headaches101/a/Dealing-With-A-Dehydration-Headache.htm http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dehydration/basics/symptoms/con-20030056 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3612440/ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22517298