There’s no drink more appropriate on a warm sunny day than a tall glass of lemonade, especially when citrus fruits are coming back into season and are cheap and easy to find at your local grocery stores.
While store-bought lemonade is often full of artificial flavouring and high fructose corn syrup, fresh, homemade lemonade is a great treat that is loved by kids and adults alike.
This recipe combines the great taste of fresh lemonade with a healthy dose of probiotics.
Lacto-Fermented Lemonade Recipe
- 12 organic lemons
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup organic evaporated cane sugar
- 1 cup fresh whey (see recipe instructions below)
- enough water to fill a gallon-size glass jar
First, get some whole milk, organic, live cultured yogurt and use fresh, clean cheesecloth to strain the whey out of the yogurt.
You can do this by first draping cheesecloth of the sides of a bowl and then adding the yogurt onto the cheesecloth – then gathering the edges of the cheesecloth together to form a bundle with the yogurt inside.
Tie the bundle closed with a rubber band and suspend it above the bowl for a few minutes – that should be enough time to strain a cup of fresh whey.
Next, juice the twelve lemons using a hand-juicer. Mix the whey and the lemon juice together in a gallon glass jar, and add at least 1/2 a cup of sugar – the probiotics will need to eat!
Finally, fill the gallon jar with cold water and mix it well. Keep the jar on your kitchen counter, at room temperature, for 2 days.
When it’s time to drink it you may need to add a bit more sugar, especially if you like your lemonade sweet – the probiotics will have eaten up some of the sugar so it will be a bit more tart than it was to start with!
But what you can be sure of is that this probiotic lemonade is full of nutrients and is great for you and your family.
How It Works
Probiotics are one of those foods that seem to have a million health benefits. While several probiotic strains are being investigated for their potential healing factors(1), many doctors recommend probiotics for helping with intestinal disorders(2).
They’re also great for helping with yeast infections and thrush. As a food supplement, probiotics have major potential for helping with overall health maintenance(3).
- Cleanse Your Body of Toxins By Drinking This Cucumber Water Recipe
Staying hydrated isn’t just important in the summer; we need to be sure we’re getting enough fluids year-round. Many bodily …
- These Raw Vegan Coconut-Lemon Meltaways Will NOT Disappoint You
Everyone loves the tart citrus flavor of lemons, especially in desert form. These raw vegan lemon balls have a smooth, …
- 10-Minute Avocado Egg Salad With Turmeric, Black Pepper And Apple Cider Vinegar
Contrary to popular belief, it’s actually safe and healthy to eat eggs (yolks included!). They’re packed with protein and disease-fighting …
- This Smoothie Is So Good You Won’t Believe It Has One of the Most Powerful Antioxidants In The World
Smoothies are the perfect meal supplement for people looking to lose weight while still getting essential nutrients in their diet. …
- 5-Ingredient Anti-Inflammatory Sweet Potato Brownies With Almond Butter, Cocoa And Maple Syrup
However, most brownies are full of inflammatory ingredients like processed wheat and sugar. If you want a delicious treat that …
- Heal Your Body From The Inside Out With These 8 Cancer-Fighting Soups
There’s nothing like a good soup to warm you up up from the inside out. Most homemade soups are actually …
- No-Flour Banana Pancakes Are Easy To Make And Rich In Potassium
Who doesn’t love pancakes? They’re sweet, fluffy and simply delicious! They can be combined with all sorts of fruits and …
- 9 Amazing “No-Bread” Sandwich Ideas That Will Make You Drool
In recent years, many people have sworn off bread due to gluten intolerance or weight gain. So what is it like …
- 5 Tasty Cherry Recipes That Will Give Your Body a Much Needed Boost In Melatonin
No one can resist the sweet tartness of a cherry. It turns out there is much more the cherry can …
- 3 Drinks To Detox Your Liver And Flush Out Fat
Food additives, over-the-counter pills, stress and environmental toxins are all things that can harm your liver. This is the reason why …
- Cauliflower With Turmeric Makes For a Powerful Anti-Inflammatory And Anti-Cancer Snack
Cauliflower and turmeric are two superfoods that can be served as a hearty replacement for rice and pasta. Better still, the recipe …
- Drink This Medicinal Tea To Detoxify Your Liver And Strengthen Your Immune System
Take your morning warm lemon water ritual to a new level with the anti-inflammatory and detoxing powers of ginger and …
- Drink This Fat-Burning Ginger And Coconut Oil Smoothie to ACCELERATE Weight Loss
Whether it’s getting warmer or colder, it seems like each change in season wakes up a ravenous hunger. This can …
- This is The Easiest, Simplest Way to Make a Healthy Delicious Snack.
This snack idea came from a photo shoot, let me explain. Every photo shoot is catered whether it is in …
- Drink This All-In-1 Ginger Tea To Dissolve Kidney Stones, Detox Your Liver And Fight Cancer
Ginger has been used medicinally in China and India for over 5000 years. It’s proven through time to treat digestion …