There’s no drink more appropriate on a warm sunny day than a tall glass of lemonade, especially when citrus fruits are coming back into season and are cheap and easy to find at your local grocery stores.
While store-bought lemonade is often full of artificial flavouring and high fructose corn syrup, fresh, homemade lemonade is a great treat that is loved by kids and adults alike.
This recipe combines the great taste of fresh lemonade with a healthy dose of probiotics.
Lacto-Fermented Lemonade Recipe
- 12 organic lemons
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup organic evaporated cane sugar
- 1 cup fresh whey (see recipe instructions below)
- enough water to fill a gallon-size glass jar
First, get some whole milk, organic, live cultured yogurt and use fresh, clean cheesecloth to strain the whey out of the yogurt.
You can do this by first draping cheesecloth of the sides of a bowl and then adding the yogurt onto the cheesecloth – then gathering the edges of the cheesecloth together to form a bundle with the yogurt inside.
Tie the bundle closed with a rubber band and suspend it above the bowl for a few minutes – that should be enough time to strain a cup of fresh whey.
Next, juice the twelve lemons using a hand-juicer. Mix the whey and the lemon juice together in a gallon glass jar, and add at least 1/2 a cup of sugar – the probiotics will need to eat!
Finally, fill the gallon jar with cold water and mix it well. Keep the jar on your kitchen counter, at room temperature, for 2 days.
When it’s time to drink it you may need to add a bit more sugar, especially if you like your lemonade sweet – the probiotics will have eaten up some of the sugar so it will be a bit more tart than it was to start with!
But what you can be sure of is that this probiotic lemonade is full of nutrients and is great for you and your family.
How It Works
Probiotics are one of those foods that seem to have a million health benefits. While several probiotic strains are being investigated for their potential healing factors(1), many doctors recommend probiotics for helping with intestinal disorders(2).
They’re also great for helping with yeast infections and thrush. As a food supplement, probiotics have major potential for helping with overall health maintenance(3).
- Easy To Make Lemon Lavender Pancakes (With Coconut Flour and Homemade Almond Milk)
Pancakes are the ultimate all-American breakfast food. While there are many amazing toppings you can try to take your pancake …
- This Powerful Tea Is The Best Remedy For Swollen Legs
If you have ever experienced swelling in your legs (or your hands or feet for that matter) you know how …
- 5 Detox ‘Shots’ To Alkalize Your Body First Thing In The Morning
Ever wonder why mornings are so rough? Your body’s ph levels may be responsible. While you sleep, your body is …
- How To Make Turmeric Tea That’s Both Delicious And Healthy
If you are taking ibuprofen tablets (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin & Nurofen) for everything ranging from headache, backache and other muscular aches …
- Easy And Delicious Apple Pancake Recipe
Available almost anywhere and relatively inexpensive, apples are an ideal fruit to bake with. Many pastry recipes feature apples – …
- 27 Must-Try Avocado Recipes for You and Your Family
Avocados are a health nut’s favorite fruit, and rightly so. Packed with nutrients, delicious fats, filling fiber, and creamy goodness, …
- These Super Healthy Turmeric Coconut Cream Cups Are Easy To Make At Home!
If you’re looking for a way to get more superfoods into your diet. This recipe is going to be your …
- 5 Tasty Cherry Recipes That Will Give Your Body a Much Needed Boost In Melatonin
No one can resist the sweet tartness of a cherry. It turns out there is much more the cherry can …
- 27 Turmeric Recipes That Will Spice Up Your Life
Turmeric is the superfood that makes our cooking dazzle. But it does ever so much more than simply flavor and color our food. Cooking …
- He Fills An Ice Cube Tray With Fresh Herbs. The Reason? GENIUS!!
Do you ever wish you could use fresh herbs in all your cooking? We buy fresh dill, basil, cilantro, oregano, …
- Drink This Fat-Burning Ginger And Coconut Oil Smoothie to ACCELERATE Weight Loss
Whether it’s getting warmer or colder, it seems like each change in season wakes up a ravenous hunger. This can …
- 11 Easy Crustless Pizza You’ll Love
Pizza is delicious. But it’s not something that you can enjoy every day without any repercussions. There are two main problems with pizza: …
- 34 Gluten-Free Crockpot Recipes You’ll Love
Using a crockpot for cooking is a convenient way to prepare your own healthy meals. This is especially true for …
- 4 Easily Digestible Juice Recipes To Elevate Your Mood And Energy Levels
Depression is a mood disorder which affects the lives of many Americans. Left untreated, it can wreak havoc on your work …
- Raw Protein Balls Made With Cacao, Hemp, Chia and Flax Seeds (Takes Less Than 10 Minutes to Make!)
These protein balls not only taste great, but are high in protein, essential fats, and antioxidants – the perfect snack …