We’ve been hearing a lot about coconut oil lately; whether it’s about the oil’s value in the kitchen or its healthy source of fats, coconut oil is the health food that never gets old.
It’s nutritious for the entire body, inside and out, the oil is known to boost metabolism and provide a host of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and antibacterial compounds, primarily derived from its lauric acid (1).
But depending on the kind of coconut oil you use, you’re not guaranteed to get all these benefits.
Coconut Oil is not Created Equally
There are two primary kinds of coconut oil: virgin and refined.
Virgin coconut oil
- Virgin coconut oil (CO) hasn’t been adulterated in any way and smells and tastes like coconuts.
- Can be heated up to 350° F without burning.
- Made from fresh coconut meat that has been cold-pressed so that only the oil remains.
- Has a higher phytonutrient content than refined CO since polyphenols—the source of CO’s antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds—are destroyed during the refining process. A 2009 study found “Virgin coconut oil showed better antioxidant capacity than refined, bleached and deodorized coconut oil.”(2)
Refined coconut oil
- Unscented, with a neutral flavor
- Can be heated up to 450° F without burning
- Made from dried coconuts
- Steam refined to remove flavor and aroma (with or without chemicals)
- Produced using “copra”, the coconut meat that is closest to the shell; it’s virtually inedible until it’s processed and refined (3).
- Referred to as “RBD” coconut oi—refined, bleached, deodorized
- The processing for refined CO normally doesn’t affect the medium-chain triglycerides (fatty acids) content of the oil, so it can be just as healthful a cooking oil and beauty aid as virgin CO.
Regardless of which coconut oil you choose, read the label to ensure it is the real thing, devoid of any genetically-modified organisms or additives.
Special considerations for refined Coconut Oil:
- Made without hexane or any other chemicals; hexane is a harmful solvent made from crude petroleum used to extract oils from plants and as a cleaning agent. The Environmental Protection Agency’s website states: “Acute (short-term) inhalation exposure of humans to high levels of hexane causes mild central nervous system (CNS) effects, including dizziness, giddiness, slight nausea, and headache. Chronic (long-term) exposure to hexane in air is associated with polyneuropathy in humans, with numbness in the extremities, muscular weakness, blurred vision, headache, and fatigue observed. Neurotoxic effects have also been exhibited in rats.”(4).
- Always make sure that it is steam-refined, rather than by any other method to avoid unnecessary chemical exposure.
- Some companies partially hydrogenate (add oxygen to) the oil in order to extend shelf life; this changes the composition of CO, reforming it into a trans fat—the bad kind that causes heart disease and stroke.(5,6)
Another kind of CO you may find at the grocery store is liquid coconut oil (LCO). In its natural state, CO is a soft solid and becomes liquid with the application of heat.
For some, LCO is more convenient as it doesn’t require melting before use. Be aware that manufacturers keep it liquid by refining the oil and removing its intrinsic lauric acid. Half of natural CO is comprised of lauric acid—remove that, and you remove the fatty acids that make CO such a nutritious source of fat.
Lauric acid is uncommon in the plant world and is the same medium-chain triglyceride found in mother’s milk (7).
If possible, always buy certified organic virgin coconut oil for your cooking and skin care needs.
- Doctors Have No Explanation: Mix Cinnamon And Honey For Arthritis, Cancer, Gallbladder, Cholesterol And 10 Other Diseases
Honey cinnamon may sound like a donut flavor, but it has much more potential than just satisfying your sweet tooth. …
- Soak Your Whites In Baking Soda Water For THIS Genius Reason!
Most people find themselves thinking twice before purchasing a classic white blouse or shirt. The fact is that white clothing …
- 5 Painful Ways Excess Abdominal Fat Is Robbing You of Your Health
“1/3 of U.S. adults are obese.” By now, most of us are well aware of the health risks that are associated with …
- Feed Your Brain The Right Nutrients To Help Regulate Your Mood And Curb Depression
There’s a growing body of research that says that for people with depression, proper nutrition can provide a world of …
- 4 Little-Known Reasons Why Your Health is Deteriorating
(originally written by Derek Henry) It seems we have many things to blame for our deteriorating health. We have our less …
- This Is What Your Farts Reveal About Your Health
Being gassy is never fun, especially when you’re surrounded by other people. Most people think that they fart more than …
- Here’s 9 Essential Antioxidants To Help Protect Your Body From Free Radicals
We’ve all heard about antioxidants and how great they are for our health. But what exactly are antioxidants and how do …
- Man Refuses Chemo And Cures His Bladder Cancer Within 2 Yrs By Taking Cannabis Oil And Essiac Tea
On July 2012, at age 54, Trevor Smith was suddenly and unexpectedly diagnosed with stage T2a bladder cancer. The cancer had …
- 15 Ways to Fill Your Home With Positive Energy And High Vibrations
You have probably heard of the term chi (Qi). It is essentially the energy that gives life. This energy flows …
- Unlock Your Healing Powers With Qi Gong
Although we still don’t have all the answers, plenty of scientific studies conducted in China and America have established a …
- Doctors Removed His Heart and Installed This Weird Device In Its Place. The Results are Shocking.
In March of 2011, a gentlemen by the name of Craig Lewis, a 55-year-old suffering from a life threatening heart …
- 6 Little-Known Reasons Why Chronic Stress Is Bad For You
We all experience stress in our daily lives – from relatively minor stress like the kind that comes with exams …
- Just Eight Weeks of Eating Paleo Can Dramatically Cut Blockages in Your Arteries!
Ever considered going Paleo? Well, a recent University of Houston study demonstrated that it would be worth taking the leap …
- Doctors Scoff At THIS Natural Remedy For Rheumatoid Arthritis—But It Works!
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a hereditary auto-immune disease, unlike osteoarthritis, which is a degenerative joint disease most often caused by …
- Acidic Diet Increases Risk of Diabetes, Study Says
A diet high in acidic foods — meat, fish, and sodas, for instance — may put some women at greater …