We’ve been hearing a lot about coconut oil lately; whether it’s about the oil’s value in the kitchen or its healthy source of fats, coconut oil is the health food that never gets old.
It’s nutritious for the entire body, inside and out, the oil is known to boost metabolism and provide a host of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and antibacterial compounds, primarily derived from its lauric acid (1).
But depending on the kind of coconut oil you use, you’re not guaranteed to get all these benefits.
Coconut Oil is not Created Equally
There are two primary kinds of coconut oil: virgin and refined.
Virgin coconut oil
- Virgin coconut oil (CO) hasn’t been adulterated in any way and smells and tastes like coconuts.
- Can be heated up to 350° F without burning.
- Made from fresh coconut meat that has been cold-pressed so that only the oil remains.
- Has a higher phytonutrient content than refined CO since polyphenols—the source of CO’s antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds—are destroyed during the refining process. A 2009 study found “Virgin coconut oil showed better antioxidant capacity than refined, bleached and deodorized coconut oil.”(2)
Refined coconut oil
- Unscented, with a neutral flavor
- Can be heated up to 450° F without burning
- Made from dried coconuts
- Steam refined to remove flavor and aroma (with or without chemicals)
- Produced using “copra”, the coconut meat that is closest to the shell; it’s virtually inedible until it’s processed and refined (3).
- Referred to as “RBD” coconut oi—refined, bleached, deodorized
- The processing for refined CO normally doesn’t affect the medium-chain triglycerides (fatty acids) content of the oil, so it can be just as healthful a cooking oil and beauty aid as virgin CO.
Regardless of which coconut oil you choose, read the label to ensure it is the real thing, devoid of any genetically-modified organisms or additives.
Special considerations for refined Coconut Oil:
- Made without hexane or any other chemicals; hexane is a harmful solvent made from crude petroleum used to extract oils from plants and as a cleaning agent. The Environmental Protection Agency’s website states: “Acute (short-term) inhalation exposure of humans to high levels of hexane causes mild central nervous system (CNS) effects, including dizziness, giddiness, slight nausea, and headache. Chronic (long-term) exposure to hexane in air is associated with polyneuropathy in humans, with numbness in the extremities, muscular weakness, blurred vision, headache, and fatigue observed. Neurotoxic effects have also been exhibited in rats.”(4).
- Always make sure that it is steam-refined, rather than by any other method to avoid unnecessary chemical exposure.
- Some companies partially hydrogenate (add oxygen to) the oil in order to extend shelf life; this changes the composition of CO, reforming it into a trans fat—the bad kind that causes heart disease and stroke.(5,6)
Another kind of CO you may find at the grocery store is liquid coconut oil (LCO). In its natural state, CO is a soft solid and becomes liquid with the application of heat.
For some, LCO is more convenient as it doesn’t require melting before use. Be aware that manufacturers keep it liquid by refining the oil and removing its intrinsic lauric acid. Half of natural CO is comprised of lauric acid—remove that, and you remove the fatty acids that make CO such a nutritious source of fat.
Lauric acid is uncommon in the plant world and is the same medium-chain triglyceride found in mother’s milk (7).
If possible, always buy certified organic virgin coconut oil for your cooking and skin care needs.
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …