Colon cancer one the most common type of cancers among both men and women. In fact, it’s the second leading cause of cancer mortality in America (1).
Common risk factors include heavy drinking, high fat intake, being overweight, and having inflammatory bowel disease.
In general, symptoms of colorectal cancer are:
- Changes in bowel habits
• Blood in the stool
• Problems related to blood loss (anemia, weakness, fatigue, shortness of breath, pounding or racing heart, chest pain, and intolerance to exercise)
• Abdominal discomfort (frequent gas, bloating, fullness, cramps, and pain)
• Unexplained weight loss
• Painful bowel movements
• Feeling that your bowel does not empty completely
Colon cancer can be detected through regular rectal exams as it usually takes about 20-30 years for the cancer to develop.
Treatment often requires surgery and chemotherapy. But despite all these counter-measures, the disease currently has a low survival rate.
That’s why researchers are looking towards natural medicine to find more effective and less toxic alternatives to these traditional methods.
Surprisingly, coconut oil is showing to be a very promising contender. It contains lauric acid, which is an anti-viral, antimicrobial and anti-fungal compound also found in human breast milk.
Lauric acid is used to treat (2):
- influenza (and swine & avian flu)
- the common cold
- fever blisters
- cold sores
- genital herpes caused by HSV
- genital warts caused by HPV
- yeast infections
- Intestinal infections (caused by Giardia lamblia)
- ringworm (a skin fungus)
If that weren’t enough, lauric acid induces colon cancer cell death (apoptosis) due to induction of oxidative stress (3). Lauric acid actually makes up about 50% of the medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) found in coconut oil.
A study by the University of Adelaide discovered this component completely exterminated more than 93 percent of colon cancer cells after just two days (4).
In comparison, chemotherapy typically last 4-6 months and often require tumor removal (5). Chemotherapy also damages your body as it cannot distinguish between cancerous, precancerous and normal cells. Coconut oil, on the other hand, nourishes your healthy cells.
The researchers stressed that coconut oil has demonstrated a lot of potential in treating other cancers of the digestive tract and of the body, but that further research must be done in order to truly understand how to use coconut oil medicinally.
For the time being, leading a healthy lifestyle with proper nutrition and regular activity dramatically lowers our chances of developing colon cancer. You can also add more coconut oil to your diet as well incorporate other cancer-fighting foods.
- Grandparents Who Babysit Are Less Likely to Develop Alzheimer’s
If you’re in your golden years, chances are you love spending time with your grandchildren. But did you ever stop …
- This List of Ingredients Is The Reason Why You Should Never Feed Your Kids Happy Meals Ever Again!
It’s no secret that McDonald’s doesn’t serve up healthy food. Common ingredients include artificial and synthetic ingredients that can cause …
- How To Grow Your Own Avocado Tree In Small Garden Pot
If you’re like most health-conscious people, you probably go through countless avocados every week. Although most people throw out its …
- GMO, Pesticides, And Processed Food Contribute To Increase of Chronic Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Growing numbers of people are experiencing serious gastrointestinal issues every year. Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) plagues 125 million North Americans …
- 4 Most Common Types of Coughs And The Plants That Can Naturally Treat Them
As air quality levels continue to degrade between environmental pollution, chemical pollution and geoengineering–lung disease, infections and illness continue to …
- A Deadly Union: Monsanto and Bayer’s Lethal Legacy
In a terrifying announcement, Monsanto has agreed to be sold to Bayer for $56.5 billion. In truth, the deal is …
- 6 Ways to Boost a Slow Metabolism. Just Doing #5 Helps A Lot.
The dreaded slow metabolism is a frequent roadblock in the effort to get fit by losing weight. If your body …
- This Is What Iceland Decided To Do This With Its Last McDonald’s Meal EVER Sold!
When McDonald’s closed it’s doors in Iceland in 2009 , the last meal purchased – a burger and fries bought …
- Eat Better, And Your Friends Will, Too!
If you’ve ever tried to lose weight, you probably know how hard it can be to stick to your eating …
- Why Hair Loss Is An Early Warning Sign You Should Never Ignore (And What To Do About It!)
Everyone knows what it’s like to lose a little hair. In fact, we lose 50-100 strands per day on average …
- Here’s Why You Need To Wash Your Hair With Apple Cider Vinegar At Least Once In Your Lifetime!
As more and more people eschew expensive, chemical-filled shampoos and conditioners for more natural hair treatments, a superhero in the …
- Best Supplements for Omega-3s in Your Diet
Your doctor may have already told you that incorporating omega-3 fatty acids into your diet is important. Those miraculous omega-3s …
- STOP Adding Splenda To Your Morning Coffee! Here’s What It Does To Your Body…
You were right to avoid artificial sweeteners. As reported by UPI, a new study links sucralose, sold as Splenda, to …
- 3 Easy Homemade Remedies That You Can Use Immediately To Beat The Bloat
Do you ever feel bloated after a meal or maybe it feels like you have “food baby?” If that’s the case, here’s three …
- If You Get a Creeping Feeling in Your Legs at Night, This is What it Means!
“Restless Leg Syndrome” doesn’t sound very scientific, but it’s more descriptive than how it’s otherwise referred: Willis-Ekborn Disease. Restless leg …