Eating baked goods satisfies a craving that no other food does: something sweet to accompany your coffee or provide the final flourish to your dinner.
Finding healthy alternatives to common baking ingredients has become much easier in recent years, with innovative cooks finding new ways to use nutritious ingredients.
Here is a recipe that fills that craving and provides significant nutrition as well.
Before you say, “Zucchini in a sweet bread? Yuck.” Let’s take a look!
Zucchini Health Benefits
Zucchini is a prolific squash. At the end of the summer, you may find yourself with more from your garden than you can possibly eat before they become mushy. Once baked, you can freeze the bread to enjoy a delicious sweet treat long after the first snow has fallen.
Rich in vitamin A (in the form of beta carotene) for your vision and cartilage, many studies have found that carotenoids reduce the risk of breast cancer.(1)
Cucurbitacins are found in zucchini’s skin—it’s what can make it taste bitter. This phytochemical has been found to induce cancer cell death.(2)
Zucchini is low in calories and an excellent source of dietary fiber. It is known that fiber is necessary for efficient digestion and it helps protect against various forms of cancer and heart disease.
High anti-oxidant, mineral, B-complex, and vitamin C content top off the list of zucchini’s long list of health benefits.
Of special note is zucchini’s potassium content—an essential mineral that moderates blood pressure (3).
A Healthy Baking Substitute
Zucchini is much more versatile than you might have thought.
Used in baking, it adds not only nutrition but moisture, texture, fiber, and is a hard-to-beat gluten-free alternative for these traits.
Let’s not ignore the other ingredients in this yummy recipe.
Maple syrup (the real stuff from a tree, not the one in a plastic bottle with a woman’s face on the label that’s just preserved colored high fructose corn syrup—a highly toxic substance): full of essential minerals like manganese and zinc, there are also fifty-four compounds found in maple syrup that are beneficial to human health—anti-inflammatories, antioxidants, and phenols.
Apple cider vinegar is a virtual panacea. From cleaning to treating skin conditions to weight loss to fighting infection, we’re all the better for including this ingredient in whatever we can. In this recipe, it provides the acid to balance and stimulate the alkaline baking soda, which is used to make the dough rise.
How To Make Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- Chocolate hazelnut butter blend (don’t use Nutella—use a non-dairy, low sugar spread or make your own—it’s easy)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (raw, unfiltered, organic)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Shred zucchini into a bowl and allow it to rest while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine hazelnut butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and sea salt until smooth.
- Add baking soda and apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Drain the liquid from the shredded zucchini, pressing slightly. Add zucchini to batter and stir until well blended.
- Scoop batter into greased loaf pan(s) and bake: 35-50 minutes for one large loaf pan or 24-28 minutes for 2 small loaf pans. It’s done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Enjoy!
- How To Do a 3-Day Sugar Detox to ACCELERATE Fat Loss And Improve Your Mood!
Everybody gets a sweet tooth every once in a while, but it’s easy for these cravings to develop into full-blown …
- The World’s #1 Food For Heart Attack, Hypertension, Stroke And Cholesterol
Dates aren’t the most attractive fruit, but they certainly are sweet and nutritious. Studies show that this amazing fruit has …
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …