Dessert sure is sweet, but it typically comes with a price.
That being said, it can be healthy and satisfying if you pick the right ingredients.
This homemade sugar free ice cream recipe is easy-to-make and absolutely delicious. Plus, it’s so creamy, you won’t even believe it’s vegan !
Homemade Sugar Free Ice Cream Recipe
Chocolate and vanilla have nothing on the richness of this coconut treat.
- 4 large dates, pitted
- 2 cans of organic full-fat coconut milk
- a dash of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of organic vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- Cool the coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- Soak the dates in hot water for 10 minutes. This will give your ice cream a better texture.
- Place the coconut milk in a large glass bowl and combine with all other ingredients using a high-speed hand blender. You can also simply pulse in a high powered blender until smooth.
- If you have an ice cream machine, prepare the mixture as you would normal ice cream. If not, pour into a large shallow container and cover with plastic wrap or waxed paper so that the wrap touches the ice cream. This will prevent ice crystals from forming on the top. Freeze for 4 hours, removing it from the freezer to whisk with a fork every hour.
- Enjoy within the week for best results.
Coconut Milk Benefits
Coconut milk, like coconut oil, contains medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) that improve mood and fight depression. They work by increasing antioxidant activity in the brain and improving adrenal function. They also lower serum cholesterol, triglyceride, glucose and corticosterone (a steroid hormone) levels (1).
Although it’s full of fat, coconut actually helps you maintain a healthy weight by improving digestion and thyroid function. Better yet, it contains fibre, vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous to keep your body in optimal shape (2).
Lauric acid, one of the most prized compounds in coconut milk, is converted by the body into monolaurin. Monolaurin is an antiviral and antibacterial substance that supports healthy immune function.
What’s more, MCFAs are quickly converted by the liver into energy, giving you a quick boost. They’re also less likely to be stored as fat.