If you’re one of the 20 million Americans affected by a thyroid disease(1), you know that thyroid function is essential to your health. The thyroid regulates all sorts of important bodily functions through the release of hormones into the bloodstream(2).
Signs Your Thyroid Might Be Having Trouble
Common signs of thyroid disease include the following:
1. Persistent fatigue. If you’re sleeping 8 to 10 hours a night but you’re still tired, it could be a sign that your thyroid hormone levels are low. Chronic fatigue is associated with many different conditions, but it’s also considered one of the most common early warning signs of a thyroid disorder.
2. Brain fog. If you struggle to concentrate on tasks, forget things frequently, and feel as though you’re “walking in a fog” all day, it could be your thyroid. An excess of thyroid hormones can make concentration difficult, while too little can negatively affect your memory.
3. Digestive Issues. Constipation is a common symptom of hypothyroidism, and an overactive thyroid gland can cause the opposite problem – more frequent bowel movements and even diarrhea.
4. Mood swings, anxiety, and depression. Hyperthyroidism causes the body to be constantly flooded with hormones that contribute to anxiety and nervousness. Mood swings, irritability and depression are also signs of a possible thyroid disorder.
5. Excessive weight gain. Putting on a few pounds is one thing, but if you eat right and exercise and still seem to be gaining weight at a relatively fast pace, it might be something to see a doctor about – you could have a thyroid disorder that’s affecting your body’s ability to burn calories.
Other signs of a thyroid disorder can include a sensitivity to cold and heat, ringing in the ears, hair loss, and brittle nails.
Just Because Your Thyroid Tests Are Normal Doesn’t Mean You Can Neglect Your Thyroid
Blood tests can only go so far in detecting imbalances with your thyroid – they’re good for catching major imbalances, like the kind that happen with full-blown thyroid disease, but minor imbalances aren’t as easily detected.
Your diet can play a major role in your thyroid function, especially if you have a tendency to participate in fad diets. Very low-calorie diets can have a negative impact on your thyroid function and mood, according to one 1990 study(3). A diet deficient in selenium can also impact your thyroid function(4).
Coconut Oil And Your Thyroid
Diets that derive most of their calories from unhealthy fats can have a negative effect on your thyroid function, as well as your blood glucose levels(5). Therefore, it’s important to make sure that your diet is balanced and contains sources of healthy fats.
Until several years ago, coconut oil was largely thought to be a “bad” form of fat to consume, but times have changed – and so has the attitude of the larger medical community towards this previously-misunderstood food. With a long shelf life and more saturated fatty acids than any other non-hydrogenated oil, it is used everywhere from South Asian cuisine to movie theater popcorn.
Making Coconut Oil Part Of Your Diet
Coconut oil is affordable, accessible, and best of all it’s incredibly versatile when it comes to cooking. It can be melted and used in stir fries or curries, or drizzled over salads. It also makes a good substitution for vegetable oil in baking.
Coconut oil doesn’t just have uses in the kitchen – many people swear by its cosmetic properties as a moisturizer for hair and skin as well.
In addition to making coconut oil a part of your diet, there are other ways to feed your thyroid. These include cutting down on gluten consumption and following an anti-inflammatory diet like the Mediterranean diet, which has been shown to be great for promoting heart health(8).
Make sure you’re getting enough vitamins and minerals like iron, iodine, B vitamins, selenium, and omega 3 fatty acids and avoid thyroid-disrupting chemicals such as dioxins(9).
Finally, take steps to minimize stress in your life – excessive stress and anxiety can exacerbate existing thyroid disorders(10).
- All The Signs, Symptoms, Triggers and Treatments of Hypo and Hyperthyroidism
According to the American Thyroid Association, an estimated 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease. Up to 60 …
- 4 Easy Ways to Remove BPA From The Body
Why should someone care about endocrine-disruptors? The effort to walk away from damaging chemicals becomes easier when one sees what …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How to Reset Your Thyroid to Burn Fat and Activate Your Metabolism
It’s estimated that over twelve percent of the population in the developed world will experience a thyroid problem at some …
- 13 Reasons For Hormone Imbalance Most People Don’t Realize
When people hear the word hormone, they often think of testosterone, estrogen, and sometimes progesterone. However, adrenaline, insulin, cortisol, thyroxine, melatonin, …
- Adrenal Fatigue: What It Is And 17 All-Natural Ways To Treat It
Adrenal insufficiency syndrome is more widespread than you might think. Your adrenal glands don’t often get the attention they deserve and …
- Bloated? Anxious? Nobody Told You These 5 Essential Oils Can Help Reset Your Hormones
Hormones aren’t something anyone gives much thought, but when they aren’t balanced, they may lead to serious health problems. In …
- Menopausal Weight Gain: 4 Hormones Other Than Estrogen That Need Your Attention
Our bodies are constantly changing. Your metabolism now isn’t what it was when you were three, nor is your body …
- 6 Foods You Absolutely Need To Avoid If You Suffer From a Thyroid Disorder
Thyroid conditions can affect your energy, weight and overall health. Here’s why… This butterfly-looking gland is responsible for the production …
- 7 Easy Ways to Optimize Your Hormones (and Be Your Best at Any Age)
As its name implies, growth hormones stimulate growth, cell reproduction and regeneration in humans. Growth hormone diminishes as you age, …