If you’re one of the 20 million Americans affected by a thyroid disease(1), you know that thyroid function is essential to your health. The thyroid regulates all sorts of important bodily functions through the release of hormones into the bloodstream(2).
Signs Your Thyroid Might Be Having Trouble
Common signs of thyroid disease include the following:
1. Persistent fatigue. If you’re sleeping 8 to 10 hours a night but you’re still tired, it could be a sign that your thyroid hormone levels are low. Chronic fatigue is associated with many different conditions, but it’s also considered one of the most common early warning signs of a thyroid disorder.
2. Brain fog. If you struggle to concentrate on tasks, forget things frequently, and feel as though you’re “walking in a fog” all day, it could be your thyroid. An excess of thyroid hormones can make concentration difficult, while too little can negatively affect your memory.
3. Digestive Issues. Constipation is a common symptom of hypothyroidism, and an overactive thyroid gland can cause the opposite problem – more frequent bowel movements and even diarrhea.
4. Mood swings, anxiety, and depression. Hyperthyroidism causes the body to be constantly flooded with hormones that contribute to anxiety and nervousness. Mood swings, irritability and depression are also signs of a possible thyroid disorder.
5. Excessive weight gain. Putting on a few pounds is one thing, but if you eat right and exercise and still seem to be gaining weight at a relatively fast pace, it might be something to see a doctor about – you could have a thyroid disorder that’s affecting your body’s ability to burn calories.
Other signs of a thyroid disorder can include a sensitivity to cold and heat, ringing in the ears, hair loss, and brittle nails.
Just Because Your Thyroid Tests Are Normal Doesn’t Mean You Can Neglect Your Thyroid
Blood tests can only go so far in detecting imbalances with your thyroid – they’re good for catching major imbalances, like the kind that happen with full-blown thyroid disease, but minor imbalances aren’t as easily detected.
Your diet can play a major role in your thyroid function, especially if you have a tendency to participate in fad diets. Very low-calorie diets can have a negative impact on your thyroid function and mood, according to one 1990 study(3). A diet deficient in selenium can also impact your thyroid function(4).
Coconut Oil And Your Thyroid
Diets that derive most of their calories from unhealthy fats can have a negative effect on your thyroid function, as well as your blood glucose levels(5). Therefore, it’s important to make sure that your diet is balanced and contains sources of healthy fats.
Until several years ago, coconut oil was largely thought to be a “bad” form of fat to consume, but times have changed – and so has the attitude of the larger medical community towards this previously-misunderstood food. With a long shelf life and more saturated fatty acids than any other non-hydrogenated oil, it is used everywhere from South Asian cuisine to movie theater popcorn.
Making Coconut Oil Part Of Your Diet
Coconut oil is affordable, accessible, and best of all it’s incredibly versatile when it comes to cooking. It can be melted and used in stir fries or curries, or drizzled over salads. It also makes a good substitution for vegetable oil in baking.
Coconut oil doesn’t just have uses in the kitchen – many people swear by its cosmetic properties as a moisturizer for hair and skin as well.
In addition to making coconut oil a part of your diet, there are other ways to feed your thyroid. These include cutting down on gluten consumption and following an anti-inflammatory diet like the Mediterranean diet, which has been shown to be great for promoting heart health(8).
Make sure you’re getting enough vitamins and minerals like iron, iodine, B vitamins, selenium, and omega 3 fatty acids and avoid thyroid-disrupting chemicals such as dioxins(9).
Finally, take steps to minimize stress in your life – excessive stress and anxiety can exacerbate existing thyroid disorders(10).
- How to Recognize a Heart Attack One Month Before it Happens
Every year, almost eight hundred thousand people in North America suffer a heart attack. Many survive but some do not, …
- Statin Scam Exposed: Cholesterol Drugs Cause Rapid Aging, Brain Damage, And Diabetes
Cholesterol has come under fire in the recent years, so much so that Amercians are being prescribed cholesterol-lowering drugs at …
- 7 Signs Your Digestive System Needs A Probiotic Supplement
We’ll get the simple question out of the way first: what is a probiotic? Probiotics refers to the good bacteria …
- Is There A Natural Fix For Depression?
Q: I often feel sad and depressed, but I’m wary of drugs. What do you recommend? –Susan Kramer, 57, Orefield, PA A: You’re …
- Home Remedies For Kidney Stones 21 Remedies For Effective Pain Relief
Many of us rarely give our kidneys a second thought, but these bean-shaped organs play a vital role in keeping …
- This Sleeping Position Helps Your Brain Flush Out Toxins More Efficiently
Most of us don’t think much about the way we sleep. Whether we sleep on our back, side, stomach, or …
- 17 Best Memory Tricks To Keep Your Mind Sharp At Any Age!
Memory techniques are a core part of your daily routine when you’re in school. You needed them to help learn …
- Canadian Researchers Discover New Evidence That Vitamin D Shuts Down Cancer Cells
Researchers at McGill University have discovered a molecular basis for the cancer preventive effects of vitamin D, whereby its active …
- Protect Your Teeth by Eating Right
This video from the American Dental Association takes a look at the connection between what kinds of food you eat …
- This Drink Destroys Your Bones From The Inside And Harms Every Organ On Its Way Out
Many Americans drink soda everyday without giving it a second thought. However, it’s considered common knowledge that sugary drinks aren’t good for …
- Big Pharma Suffers Major Blow: Study Says Treating High Cholesterol With Statins Is a Waste of Time
Cholesterol and statin drugs. It used to be that we simply believed everything our doctor told us. We wouldn’t dare …
- 6 Steps To Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s is a disease that many fear developing later in life because it can come with little warning and does …
- You Can Fight And Cure Arthritis With These Natural Herbs And Oils
Arthritis consists of more than 100 different conditions, including mild forms of tendinitis and bursitis as well as crippling rheumatoid …
- 7 Common Foods To Detoxify Your Liver Naturally
The primary way in which your body expels toxins is via the liver, which detoxifies and cleanses your body by …
- 10 Ways to Balance Your Hormones for Health, Energy and Weight Control
With so many known medical conditions out there, it can be hard to find out the root cause of our …