As the weather heats up, the hunt is on for refreshing, cold snacks that are also good for you.
A lot of ice cream contains emulsifiers and other preservatives which have been linked to colitis and metabolic syndrome(1) – meaning that while they’re undeniably delicious, they’re not the best for your gut.
Fortunately, dairy-free, preservative-free ice cream is relatively cheap and easy to make, so you don’t have to give up frozen treats entirely.
This recipe yields a product that is creamy and about the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. Made with bananas and almond butter, it is sweet and perfect for those hot summer days.
Banana-Almond Ice Cream Recipe
- 5-7 bananas
- 1-2 cups raw almonds, or premade almond butter to taste
Peel the bananas and break them into small parts first before freezing. Leave in freezer for a few hours, or overnight.
Use a food processor to blend your raw almonds until they have a smooth, creamy texture, like store-bought nut butter – this could take up to ten minutes depending on how powerful your food processor is. If you’re impatient, you can also use pre-made, store-bought nut butter and skip this step entirely.
Remove most of the nut butter from the food processor, leaving a bit in there for the next step. Add the frozen bananas to the food processor. Use the food processor’s pulse function to blend the bananas with the almond butter until it’s completely smooth.
Now add the rest of the nut butter to taste. You can also include any of the following ingredients for an extra tasty treat:
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Raisins or other dried fruit
- Frozen cherries, vanilla extract and cacao nibs
- Peppermint extract
Health Benefits Of Bananas
Everyone knows bananas are a good source of potassium, a vital nutrient that we all need to get plenty of. According to the World Health Organization, many individuals worldwide are actually potassium-deficient(2), so if you’re looking to give your potassium levels a boost, this recipe is a great option.
You Can Use Unripe Green Bananas
Unripe green bananas are a good source of resistant starch, a starch which behaves like dietary fiber and has been shown to have beneficial effects in disease prevention, diabetes prevention and weight management. In a 2010 study, researchers looking at the role of bananas in the diets of people in the Federated States of Micronesia wrote that:
“Green banana… should be promoted in Micronesia and other places for their rich (resistant starch) content and related health benefits including diabetes control.”(3)
So for a simple treat that’s easily modified to fit your dietary preferences and is loaded with healthy ingredients, try this ice cream recipe – you won’t be disappointed.
- 10-Minute Avocado Egg Salad With Turmeric, Black Pepper And Apple Cider Vinegar
Contrary to popular belief, it’s actually safe and healthy to eat eggs (yolks included!). They’re packed with protein and disease-fighting …
- Eat More Kale With These 6 Recipes
Spring is the best time of year for leafy greens like kale. Ranked as one of the healthiest vegetables that …
- Heal Your Body From The Inside Out With These 8 Cancer-Fighting Soups
There’s nothing like a good soup to warm you up from the inside out. Most homemade soups are actually nutrient-dense …
- 5 Healthy Swiss Chard Recipes to Boost Your Intake of Vitamin K
Swiss chard is vastly underrated in the vegetable kingdom. With 16% more iron than kale, it is also an excellent …
- Eating Your Trees: Fun and Healthy Broccoli Recipes
Broccoli is rich in fiber, vitamin C, and tons of phytonutrients, and it’s available just about year round. While you …
- 5 Interesting Uses of Green Tea
Green tea is well known for its antioxidant properties that aid in a myriad of health benefits, including the classic …
- 5 Tasty Cherry Recipes That Will Give Your Body a Much Needed Boost In Melatonin
No one can resist the sweet tartness of a cherry. It turns out there is much more the cherry can …
- This is The Easiest, Simplest Way to Make a Healthy Delicious Snack.
This snack idea came from a photo shoot, let me explain. Every photo shoot is catered whether it is in …
- Prepare Healthy and Delicious Pineapple Popsicles Using Only 3 Ingredients
If you’ve ever been to Disneyland, you may be familiar with the Dole whip – a frozen desert featuring pineapple …
- Cauliflower With Turmeric Makes For a Powerful Anti-Inflammatory And Anti-Cancer Snack
Cauliflower and turmeric are two superfoods that can be served as a hearty replacement for rice and pasta. Better still, the recipe …
- This Butter Pecan Cheesecake Will Make Your Holiday Dinner More Exciting
Dessert is like the punctuation to the perfect meal: during large family gatherings, it’s almost necessary. And while dessert isn’t …
- 5 Sweet Tooth Satisfying But Healthy Apricot Recipes. #5 Will Boost Heart Health.
Summer-ready apricots are a great and healthy way to satisfy your urge for something sweet, but also jam packed with …
- 14 Ways To Make Turmeric Drinks To Reduce Pain And Inflammation
Turmeric is by far one of the most popular and celebrated health foods of the decade. It’s been around for …
- Drink This Ancient Detox Tea To Cleanse The Liver, Boost Memory and Reduce Muscle Pain
There’s no shortage of recipes for detoxifying teas and other beverages, but unlike many, this recipe has withstood the test …
- 4-Ingredient Recipe Will Supercharge Your Immune System Like No Other
One criticism often received by recipes involving cooked onions, garlic and other alliums is that the heating process destroys much …