As the weather heats up, the hunt is on for refreshing, cold snacks that are also good for you.
A lot of ice cream contains emulsifiers and other preservatives which have been linked to colitis and metabolic syndrome(1) – meaning that while they’re undeniably delicious, they’re not the best for your gut.
Fortunately, dairy-free, preservative-free ice cream is relatively cheap and easy to make, so you don’t have to give up frozen treats entirely.
This recipe yields a product that is creamy and about the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. Made with bananas and almond butter, it is sweet and perfect for those hot summer days.
Banana-Almond Ice Cream Recipe
- 5-7 bananas
- 1-2 cups raw almonds, or premade almond butter to taste
Peel the bananas and break them into small parts first before freezing. Leave in freezer for a few hours, or overnight.
Use a food processor to blend your raw almonds until they have a smooth, creamy texture, like store-bought nut butter – this could take up to ten minutes depending on how powerful your food processor is. If you’re impatient, you can also use pre-made, store-bought nut butter and skip this step entirely.
Remove most of the nut butter from the food processor, leaving a bit in there for the next step. Add the frozen bananas to the food processor. Use the food processor’s pulse function to blend the bananas with the almond butter until it’s completely smooth.
Now add the rest of the nut butter to taste. You can also include any of the following ingredients for an extra tasty treat:
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Raisins or other dried fruit
- Frozen cherries, vanilla extract and cacao nibs
- Peppermint extract
Health Benefits Of Bananas
Everyone knows bananas are a good source of potassium, a vital nutrient that we all need to get plenty of. According to the World Health Organization, many individuals worldwide are actually potassium-deficient(2), so if you’re looking to give your potassium levels a boost, this recipe is a great option.
You Can Use Unripe Green Bananas
Unripe green bananas are a good source of resistant starch, a starch which behaves like dietary fiber and has been shown to have beneficial effects in disease prevention, diabetes prevention and weight management. In a 2010 study, researchers looking at the role of bananas in the diets of people in the Federated States of Micronesia wrote that:
“Green banana… should be promoted in Micronesia and other places for their rich (resistant starch) content and related health benefits including diabetes control.”(3)
So for a simple treat that’s easily modified to fit your dietary preferences and is loaded with healthy ingredients, try this ice cream recipe – you won’t be disappointed.
- 12 Recipes for Gluten-Free Cookies You Won’t Be Able to Resist
Gluten is becoming an ever-increasing concern in the Western diet. The volume of people with wheat allergies or sensitivities across …
- 5 Antioxidant-Rich Blackberry Recipes
Blackberries are so much more than a dessert fruit staple. Not only are they able to help keep you looking …
- This Spiced Coffee Recipe Is a Complete Meal All On Its Own And Will Last You a Week
Many people rely on caffeine to get them going in the morning, and while there’s nothing wrong with that, coffee …
- How to Make Your Own Homemade Green Powder
Dark, leafy greens are very important for promoting good health. Packed with vitamins and minerals all of us need, we …
- 27 Must-Try Avocado Recipes for You and Your Family
Avocados are a health nut’s favorite fruit, and rightly so. Packed with nutrients, delicious fats, filling fiber, and creamy goodness, …
- Drink This Homemade Syrup To Help Loosen Up Chest Phlegm and Expel It Out of Your Body
The worst part of a bad chest cold is probably the feeling of congestion you get in your chest, and …
- Pack In Protein With These Chickpea Recipes
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are a super versatile, low fat, and high fiber protein source rich in important minerals like phosphorus …
- Drink This All-In-1 Ginger Tea To Dissolve Kidney Stones, Detox Your Liver And Fight Cancer
Ginger has been used medicinally in China and India for over 5000 years. It’s proven through time to treat digestion …
- It Was Hard To Snack Healthy Until I Tried These 16 Delicious Metabolism-Boosting Ideas
The foods you eat between meals are just as important. Snack on the wrong foods and your health will suffer. …
- 10 Easy Juicing Recipes For Cleansing The Body of Toxins
Modern unhealthy diets and polluted environment cause toxins to build up in our bodies, which is why a detoxification program …
- Simple Homemade Syrup Cures Cough And Removes Phlegm From The Lungs
You’ve probably heard a lot about how carrots are good for your eyes, but you’ve probably never heard that they …
- Raw Chocolate Smoothie Recipe with Avocado, Almond Milk, Banana and Raw Honey
Oh, my. This looks so incredibly delicious that we may have to put it at the top of the “gotta …
- Easy To Make Lemon Lavender Pancakes (With Coconut Flour and Homemade Almond Milk)
Pancakes are the ultimate all-American breakfast food. While there are many amazing toppings you can try to take your pancake …
- Refreshing Homemade Ginger Ale to Help You Deal With Migraines And Inflammation
Ginger is a versatile, cheap, and easy-to-find spice that can be used in all sorts of recipes, but most importantly …
- This Aloe Vera Smoothie Is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory With Over 200 Active Enzymes!
Aloe vera has an intimidating appearance, but it is full of beneficial nutrients – containing at least 20 minerals, 12 …