The use of fabric softener is often seen as an essential part of good housekeeping.
It’s the attentive detail that makes wearing clean clothes that much more enjoyable.
And while bottles of fabric softener may depict peaceful sleeping babies, sweet stuffed animals or clean clothes gently rocked by the wind, these images are far more misleading than you’d expect.
Fabric softeners actually contain numerous toxic substances that can be particularly harmful to children.
In fact, some labels now bear a warning not to use on children’s sleepwear because its ingredients makes pajamas more flammable (1).
When these chemicals are used on your sheets, clothes and towels, you’re constantly exposed to toxins: from the moment you wake, to the moment you sleep, and all throughout the night.
Toxins Found in Fabric Softener
Chloroform:Believe it or not, chloroform used to be used as anesthesia to knock patients unconscious for surgery. Nowadays, chloroform is most often present in small dose in chlorinated water. Short-term inhalation causes central nervous system depression while long-term exposure is known to cause impaired liver function, hepatitis and jaundice, arrhythmia, central nervous system dysfunction and may even cause cancer (2).
A-Terpineol:This chemical acts as a neurotoxin that can cause seizures and stroke. It’s also a moderate irritant whose fumes affect the eyes, nose, throat and skin. When inhaled, the toxic substance is known to cause pneumonia and other respiratory conditions (3).
Ethanol:Ethanol is a type of alcohol which acts as a carcinogen and can be absorbed into the body by the inhalation of toxic fumes. It’s known to cause, cough, headache, liver damage, anemia and reproductive problems (4).
Benzyl Alcohol: This substance can be inhaled or absorbed through the skin. In severe cases, it can lead to respiratory stimulation followed by respiratory and muscular paralysis, convulsions, narcosis and death (5).
Ethyl Acetate: High concentrations if this chemical can cause depression of the central nervous system and congestion of the liver and kidneys. It’s also linked to anemia, leucocytosis (an inmmune response), hypothermia, high blood pressure and exposure can even cause a comatose state (6).
Phthalates: Phthalates are plastics used to preserve the scent of laundry products. They are believed to be carcinogenic but know to be endocrine disruptors and to cause liver tumours and fertility problems (7).
Limonene: Is a carcinogen known to causes pain and swelling of the skin. It can also significantly damage and increase permeability of membranes in your lungs and leave you prone to infection and poisoning (8).
Pentane: Exposure to this chemical can cause irritation of the eyes and nose as well as nausea,vomiting, headache, dermatitis, dizziness and unconsciousness (9) .
Camphor: This substance can cause headaches, nausea, stomach pain, coughing and mental confusion. Over time, it can contribute to the development of seizures and affects kidneys and nervous system (10).
Benzyl Acetate: Is Is a floral scent that can cause a burning sensation on the skin as well as confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, sore throat and labored breathing (11).
Linalool: This chemical is skin allergen that is know to cause irritation, contact dermatitis (rashes), and acanthosis, a thickening of the skin (12).
Homemade Fabric Softener
You’ll need :
- 1-gallon of organic white vinegar*
- 30 drops of essential oil (lavender or citrus fruits work well)
* Vinegar is non-toxic & inexpensive and it can reduce static and get rid of soap scum.
- Mix all the ingredients in a suitable container and store in a dark, cool place.
- To use, dilute 1/4 cup of the mixture into ¾ cups of water.
- Pour the natural fabric softener into the washer during the last rinse cycle.
If you are sensitive to the smell of vinegar, you can always try reusable wool dryer balls, which eliminate wrinkles, prevent static, soften clothes and reduce drying time (13). They are generally sold online in health food stores.
- Protein Combining: Fact or Fiction?
The theory of protein combining became popular in the 1970s and has since experienced a resurgence in the health food …
- Food as Medicine: How One Hospital Is Using Organic Produce to Help Heal Patients
In 431 B.C. Hippocrates said, “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” More than 2500 years later, we …
- 6 Surprising Things Fed to US Cows!
For the most part, cattle in America are seen not as animals or living, breathing entities, but as commodities—products to …
- Bacteria Outbreak: Massive Recall of Frozen Food Products Sold at Trader Joe’s, Costco, And Walmart
358 products sold nationwide at Trader Joe’s, Costco, and Walmart have been recalled out of concern that they were potentially …
- 10 Detox Baths For Relaxation and Rejuvenation
A detox bath is a great way to help cleanse the body, relax the mind, and provide extra support to …
- If You See This “Weed” Growing In Your Yard, Don’t Pick It! Here’s Why…
If you take a step outside your front door, how many plants in your garden are you be able to …
- FDA Is Recalling Turmeric From THESE Brands Due To Lead Contamination
Since turmeric is a health food as well as a medicine, it’s essential to buy the high-quality stuff. Low-quality spices …
- This New Anti-Anxiety Cannabis Milk Is Coming To A Store Near You Soon
As new cannabis products pop up all over North America, health companies elsewhere in the world have also hopped on …
- The World’s Oldest Yoga Teacher Reveals Her Secrets to Maintaining a Youthful Mind and Healthy Body
They say yoga keeps you healthy and young; the epitome of that adage is 96-year-old Tao Porchon Lynch. Lynch is …
- 10 Weight Loss Habits That Can Help You Lose Over 20-30 Lbs And Keep It Off
Fad diets can help you to lose weight quickly. You’ll probably be impressed with the results after a week. But …
- How To Use Essential Oil For Tooth Pain And Oral Health
New studies show how important dental health, including our gums, is to our overall health. In fact, periodontal disease is …
- This Tropical Purple Fruit Has Been Shown to Fight Colon, Breast, Pancreatic and Skin Cancer
Just when you thought you knew every health-promoting fruit out there, another odd-looking purple fruit is making headlines for its …
- This Is What Your Body Odor Says About Your Health And What You Can Do To Control It
Sweating is good for you. Perspiration cools the skin when it’s hot so you don’t overheat and is one way …
- You’ll Never Use Store-Bought Butter Again After You See How Easy It Is To Make It Yourself!
Butter is a staple in many homes across America. It’s a versatile food that’s easily used in a variety of …
- He Puts a Tea Bag Inside His Car For One GENIUS Reason Not Many People Know!
Do you love tea? If you’ve got tons of tea bags sitting in your kitchen cabinet then you’re in for a …