Ever thought of making your own homemade toilet cleaner for your bathroom? Your bathroom isn’t just the most intimate space in your home, it’s also the most prone to bad bacteria.
So it’s no surprise that it’s also one of the most unpleasant rooms in the house to clean, especially if you’re a germaphobe.
Many Americans rely on disinfectant sprays and harsh cleaners to keep their bathrooms spic and span.
What’s Hiding In These Products
Bathroom cleaning products typically contain harsh chemicals that release toxic fumes into the air that slowly poison your family members.
Common ingredients include nonylphenol ethoxylates, a known endocrine disruptor; trisodium nitrilotriacetate, a possible carcinogen; as well as sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate and sodium hydroxide, which are corrosive and severely irritate the eyes, skin and respiratory tract (1).
Disinfectant sprays also typically contain quaternary ammonium compounds (similar to triclosan), which are genotoxic and cytotoxic. They also contain fragrance to mask the harsh smells of all these chemicals.
Companies aren’t obligated to list most of these ingredients, meaning that you might not even know what’s lurking in the products you use every day.
Most, however, have warning labels indicating that they aren’t as safe as they’re perceived to be, but these aren’t clear enough for consumers to really understand what they’re exposing their families to.
For a safer alternative, it’s best to just make your own household cleaning products such as a homemade toilet cleaner.
DIY Toilet Bombs
Here is how to make your own homemade toilet cleaner. These bombs will get rid of stuck-on grime and take the work out of your cleaning routine.
- ½ cup citric acid
- ½ cup baking soda
- 25 drops essential oils (orange and lemon smell nice!)
- ½ cup cornstarch
- A spray bottle full of water
- Gallon size zip-top bag
- Cupcake molds
- Combine citric acid, baking soda, and cornstarch into your ziplock bag and shake well.
- Spritz the mix 2-3 times with a bit of water, seal the bag and knead the mixture.
- Repeat 5-7 times.
- Knead the mixture until it has the same texture as pie dough.
- Add essential oils and knead again.
- Remove the mixture from the bag and pack it tightly into your molds.
- Leave them in a cool, dry spot to dry for 2-3 days.
- Next, remove them from their molds and dry for another 2-3 days.
- Store in an air-tight container.
To use, drop one into your toilet bowl and let it fizz out. Then, simply flush and you’re done!
- It’s Easy to Grow a Mint Plant – Here Are 15 Reasons Why You Should
Mint is one of those versatile herbs that lends its flavor to a huge variety of foods. Growing a mint …
- Turn a Small Space Into a Big Harvest With These Awesome Vertical Gardens
Whether you want to grow veggies, herbs or flowers, gardening can be very rewarding. However sometimes your love for plants …
- Here’s Why You Should Leave A Coin In The Freezer Before Leaving The House
When preparing for a vacation, everybody has a list of things they check before leaving the house. Most people double …
- How To Grow An Endless Supply of Blueberries
Blueberries are delicious and perfectly sweet, but did you know that they’re also great for your heart health? In fact, …
- How To Make Smudge Sticks That Eliminate Negative Energy And Stress From Any Space
Ancient healers used the power of plants to heal both physical and spiritual ailments thousands of years ago. Today, the …
- They Said Hydrogen Peroxide Was Great, But They Didn’t Tell You This
Hydrogen peroxide is perhaps best known for its ability to clean up wounds. But, as this article will attest to, …
- How to Make Your Own Natural Sunscreen Using Coconut Oil
Store bought sunscreens can have some harmful side effects and many people today are choosing to go a healthier, more …
- 14 Houseplants That Thrive In Low Light
While most plants crave plenty of natural light, for indoor plant lovers, it’s not always feasible to have these sun-loving …
- 13 Effective Ways to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Without Using Chemicals
Adult bed bugs are about the size of an apple seed, but their eggs can be as small as a …
- The Essential Oil Trick That Can Clean The Air In Your Home Better Than Any Diffuser
When it comes to all natural living, essential oils and essential oil diffusers are tools you simply can’t ignore. Made …
- Spray This Simple Mixture and You Will Never See Ants in Your Home Again!
Every living organism on this planet has its place in the natural order of things. But few will deny that, while …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- Cut a Few Lemons and Place Them On The Bedside In Your Bedroom – Here’s Why!
We often take our sense of smell for granted. Without it, our sense of taste would be severely hampered. Memories …
- If You See This “Weed” Growing In Your Yard, Don’t Pick It! Here’s Why…
If you take a step outside your front door, how many plants in your garden are you be able to …
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …