Summer is one of the most wonderful times of the year.
It would be even better if it weren’t for all the mosquitoes and other pests that wake up with the change in season.
Commercial bug repellents are costly, toxic, and don’t always work as well as they should. They also have serious side effects including:
- Breathing difficulty
- Loss of alertness
- Upset stomach
- Nausea and vomiting
- Insomnia and mood changes
- Hives or mild skin redness and irritation on area sprayed
- Blistering, burns, and permanent scars
- Burning and redness of the eyes, nose, and throat
An Odd Natural Trick
Forget the citronella and DEET, and grab your morning coffee!
Mosquitoes, like many other bugs, have a large quantity of distinct odorant receptors (2). This makes them sensitive to certain strong smells, like the smell of smoke.
In fact, one of the best ways to keep mosquitoes away is to burn coffee grounds, which emit a very strong scent and produce a lot of smoke.
You should use fresh grounds for this. The reason why the grounds burn in the first place is because of the natural oils in the ground coffee. All you have to do is place the grounds in a bit of aluminum paper or an aluminum baking tray and burn it as you would incense.
This is especially useful if you have old coffee (like the kind you set aside for camping trips once a year) that is too stale or rancid for brewing, but it still holds all the oils needed for burning.
Since loose grounds can fly in the wind and start a fire, it’s best to slightly moisten the coffee and to pack two tablespoons of the mixture into a cupcake mold, leaving it to dry for few days before use. For stubborn mosquitoes, add a few bay leaves into the mix.
Coffee grounds will keep bugs away, so feel free to burn it on your porch or in a well-ventilated area of your home, but do not use it near your garden as it can deter pollinators like bees and wasps. If possible, let the smoke flow towards you for best results. Place as many burning grounds around you as you need.
The odor and smoke emitted also works as a repellent for ants, slugs, and snails (3).
- 5 Dangers Associated With Drinking Alcohol You Don’t Know About But Should!
Sipping on a cocktail is an easy way to melt away the stresses of your day, but it comes with a hefty …
- 5 Detox Teas To Flush Out Toxins From Your Body And Nurture The Good Bacteria In Your Gut
While it’s more common to focus on popular health subjects such as weight loss, disease prevention, or physical appearance, many …
- The Oncologist Told Her She Only Had 6 months Left to Live. Boy, Did She Prove Her Wrong!
An Australian woman in her mid-50s posted a YouTube video explaining how she eliminated her stage IV lung cancer with …
- Place a Few of These Leaves in the Corners of Your House and You Will Never See a Roach Again
There’s nothing like a bug infestation to make your home feel dirty and inhospitable. One of the worst residents that …
- Beware of Toxic Air Fresheners
Have you read the labels of your synthetic air fresheners? The ingredients in air fresheners can be toxic to your …
- This Is Why You Should Drink Warm Water On An Empty Stomach Every Morning
You’ve heard by now that it’s a good idea to drink water first thing in the morning. In fact, you’ve probably …
- Watch What Happens To Gray Hair When You Start Drinking Wheatgrass Everyday
Gray hair can make you look a lot older than you really are. Although there’s nothing wrong with having a …
- 9 Scary Facts That You Should Know About Diabetes (Even If You Don’t Have It)
Diabetes is a disease that affects nearly 10% of the U.S. population, and yet it’s a disease that so few …
- From Cellulite Scrub To Wasp Repellent: 10 Amazing Uses For Coffee Grounds You Never Knew Existed
If you drink coffee every day, then you probably go through a lot of coffee ground. While these little grounds might …
- Coconut Oil & Honey Mixture – Powerful Remedy That Will Stop Cough Instantly
Have noticed that you or one of your loved ones cough a lot? If so, then you really have to …
- How To Effectively Cleanse Your Lungs In Just 72 Hours
The start of the industrial revolution brought about the rise of airborne pollution. These last few hundred years have dramatically …
- Food as Medicine: How One Hospital Is Using Organic Produce to Help Heal Patients
In 431 B.C. Hippocrates said, “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” More than 2500 years later, we …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- What Happens When You Eat 3 Whole Eggs Every Day…You’ll Be Surprised What It Does To Your Body!
Why eat more eggs? A few years ago, health organizations issued a warning about the cholesterol contained in eggs. Like many other …
- The Best Cooking Methods To Prevent The Nutrients In Your Food From Being Destroyed
Many individuals are aware of what antioxidants are, their role in cancer prevention, and fighting free radicals. That’s why, the cooking …