Summer is one of the most wonderful times of the year.
It would be even better if it weren’t for all the mosquitoes and other pests that wake up with the change in season.
Commercial bug repellents are costly, toxic, and don’t always work as well as they should. They also have serious side effects including:
- Breathing difficulty
- Loss of alertness
- Upset stomach
- Nausea and vomiting
- Insomnia and mood changes
- Hives or mild skin redness and irritation on area sprayed
- Blistering, burns, and permanent scars
- Burning and redness of the eyes, nose, and throat
An Odd Natural Trick
Forget the citronella and DEET, and grab your morning coffee!
Mosquitoes, like many other bugs, have a large quantity of distinct odorant receptors (2). This makes them sensitive to certain strong smells, like the smell of smoke.
In fact, one of the best ways to keep mosquitoes away is to burn coffee grounds, which emit a very strong scent and produce a lot of smoke.
You should use fresh grounds for this. The reason why the grounds burn in the first place is because of the natural oils in the ground coffee. All you have to do is place the grounds in a bit of aluminum paper or an aluminum baking tray and burn it as you would incense.
This is especially useful if you have old coffee (like the kind you set aside for camping trips once a year) that is too stale or rancid for brewing, but it still holds all the oils needed for burning.
Since loose grounds can fly in the wind and start a fire, it’s best to slightly moisten the coffee and to pack two tablespoons of the mixture into a cupcake mold, leaving it to dry for few days before use. For stubborn mosquitoes, add a few bay leaves into the mix.
Coffee grounds will keep bugs away, so feel free to burn it on your porch or in a well-ventilated area of your home, but do not use it near your garden as it can deter pollinators like bees and wasps. If possible, let the smoke flow towards you for best results. Place as many burning grounds around you as you need.
The odor and smoke emitted also works as a repellent for ants, slugs, and snails (3).
- 2-Ingredient Mixture to EFFECTIVELY Eliminate Earwax And Ear Infections
A lot people mistakenly think that earwax is bad. Some even find it gross and remove it from their ears every …
- 5 Acupressure Points You Can Do By Yourself To Relieve Stress And Anxiety In Under 3 Minutes
It’s normal to get stressed out every once in a while, but being stressed all the time can become a …
- Video LITERALLY Shows You What Happens to Your Lungs When You Smoke…And It’s Not Pretty!
In light of the many negative effects of smoking and health issues revolving around cigarettes, various gruesome ad campaigns have …
- Constantly Tired? Try These 10 Adaptogenic Herbs!
Modern herbalists say adaptogenic herbs are plants with properties that exert a normalizing influence on the body, neither habit-forming, over-stimulating …
- 10 Weight Loss Habits That Can Help You Lose Over 20-30 Lbs And Keep It Off
Fad diets can help you to lose weight quickly. You’ll probably be impressed with the results after a week. But …
- These 18 Brands Of Lipstick Are Full Of Cancer-Causing Heavy Metals
Could your lipstick be full of hidden toxins? Women of all ages use lipsticks and gloss to brighten or finish …
- Work Before Ten AM Is “Torture”: Here’s How To Have More Energy
Waking up in the morning is easy, but getting out of bed with energy is hard. Since we can’t create …
- 9 Plants To Attract Positive Energy In Your Home And Office
Your home is your sanctuary, so why not attract more positive energy in your home? Being surrounded by nature can …
- 10 Herbs To Replace Painkillers Without Any Side Effects
We are a nation of pill-poppers! While prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs fall slightly short of our addiction to marijuana …
- Here is What You Need To Check Next Time You Buy Bottled Water
Bottled water sure is convenient, but are they safe? If you’ve ever turned your bottled water upside-down, you may have …
- The Healing Power of Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds and their oil have been used for centuries in for both cooking and medicinal needs. But many people …
- The Surgeon Who Operates From 400km Away
Telecommuting just took on a whole new meaning. Mehran Anvari, MD has taken up the science and art of telesurgery. …
- WikiLeaks: Alcohol Industry Bribed Congress To Denounce Cannabis
Recreational cannabis use is on its way to becoming as widespread as alcohol. Top alcohol companies aren’t pleased with the …
- We Will All Be Sleeping 30 Minutes Less a Week by 2050 as Global Warming Takes Hold
Current predictions say that temperatures across the Northern Hemisphere will increase by 2C (two degrees Celsius) in the next 30 …
- This Miraculous Drink Will Work Wonders For Your Thyroid
A healthy thyroid means a healthy you! The thyroid gland is responsible for regulating our metabolism. It helps maintain our weight, improves digestion, skin …