There’s nothing worse than soaking in a day of perfect weather and becoming a buffet for mosquitoes.
Unfortunately, bug repellent sprays aren’t actually as safe as they’re advertised to be, so how do you protect yourself from bugs and bug-related diseases?
Put Down The DEET!
Popular insect repellent spray can cause symptoms of poisoning in sensitive individuals or through prolonged exposure.
Common side-effects include (1):
- Hives or blisters
- Redness and skin irritation
- Insomnia and mood changes.
- Eye irritation
- Breathing difficulty
- Poor concentration
Duke University pharmacologist Mohamed Abou-Donia has also issued a warning that frequent and prolonged DEET exposure led to brain cell death and behavioral change (2).
What Are The Natural Alternatives ?
Science Daily reports that nepetalactone, the essential oil in catnip is ten times more effective than DEET, a popular ingredient in commercial insect repellents. This compound is also responsible for the plant’s characteristic odor.
Other effective bug-repelling options include lemon, eucalyptus and peppermint essential oil (4).
How To Make Your Own Bug Repellent Spray
- Essential oils: Citronella, Clove, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Cedar, Catnip, Lavender, Mint
- 4 oz. Natural Witch Hazel
- 4 oz. Distilled or boiled Water
- 1/2 tsp Vegetable glycerin (optional)
- Fill a spray bottle half with water.
- Top off with witch hazel, leaving an inch or so of space at the top.
- Add the glycerin if using.
- Finally, add 30-50 drops of essential oils, the more you use, the more effective it’ll be. If you’re sensitive to strong smells, stick with catnip oil.
If you spend a lot of time outdoors, plant catnip, rosemary, lavender and mint in your garden or around your porch to keep the bugs at bay! You can also build a bat house to naturally control mosquito population around your home.
- How to Measure and Protect Your Hearing
Did you know that 1 in 5 people in the U.S. suffer from hearing loss, and that 80% of those …
- Watch What Happens When You Drink THIS Beetox Smoothie 5 Days In a Row
Our liver is one of the least discussed organs in the body and happens to also be one of the …
- Yikes! This Medical Condition Can Cut Your Life Short by as Much as 8 Years
Researchers say extremely obese people can expect to die about eight years earlier than healthier people. The study, conducted by …
- Kid Scientist Accidentally Discovers Sweet Pest Control
Not that anyone will cry over the loss of some fruit flies but one boy’s science experiment resulted in just …
- Powdered Alcohol – Important Things You Should Know
Earlier this week, an Internet frenzy unleashed the news that powdered alcohol will be available soon in the US. Announcements …
- Here’s Why This Citrus Fruit Works Better Than Nicotine Patches and Gum For Quitting Smoking Forever
When it comes to smoking, the easiest way to quit is to never start in the first place. If you’ve …
- Cut Your Watermelon THIS Way And Never Have Juice Dripping Down Your Chin Again!
Watermelon isn’t just a healthy snack: it’s a summer staple. Perhaps one of the most popular ways to eat it …
- 3 Friends Built A Garden. It’s On A Roof, But That’s Not Even The Best Part.
Usually, grocery shopping in a city isn’t an experience where you have a lot of local choices. Do you want …
- 9 Warning Signs That Your Blood Sugar Levels Are Out of Control
Maintaining the right level of blood sugar or glucose is key to living a healthy, happy life. When we experience …
- How To Use Coffee Beans To Get Rid Of Dark Under Eye Circles
Nobody likes having dark under eye circles. Many try all kinds of things to conceal them. Unfortunately, doing this doesn’t actually tackle the …
- Make One Of These 4 Drinks Before Bed To Fall Asleep, Stay Asleep And Burn Fat While Doing It
There’s no arguing that obesity has reached epidemic proportions in the US. A simple walk down any American street reveals …
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS): Hard Cold Facts about this Fatal Disease
Recently, all over Facebook and other social media, you have probably seen friends and celebrities alike dumping a bucket of …
- Getting Your Daily Dose of Probiotics Isn’t That Hard And It Can Even Help You Lose Weight
Antibiotic overuse among humans is causing an international health crisis – not only making us more susceptible to “superinfections”(2) but …
- 4 Powerful Herbs for Natural Pain Relief
Before the advent of modern medicine, people used herbs and spices to effectively treat everything from colds to cancer. What …
- How to Effectively Remove a Painful Ingrown Toenail WITHOUT Having To Go To The Doctor
If you ever suffered from an ingrown toenail, then you know that it’s not only super painful, it’s also hard …