There’s nothing worse than soaking in a day of perfect weather and becoming a buffet for mosquitoes.
Unfortunately, bug repellent sprays aren’t actually as safe as they’re advertised to be, so how do you protect yourself from bugs and bug-related diseases?
Put Down The DEET!
Popular insect repellent spray can cause symptoms of poisoning in sensitive individuals or through prolonged exposure.
Common side-effects include (1):
- Hives or blisters
- Redness and skin irritation
- Insomnia and mood changes.
- Eye irritation
- Breathing difficulty
- Poor concentration
Duke University pharmacologist Mohamed Abou-Donia has also issued a warning that frequent and prolonged DEET exposure led to brain cell death and behavioral change (2).
What Are The Natural Alternatives ?
Science Daily reports that nepetalactone, the essential oil in catnip is ten times more effective than DEET, a popular ingredient in commercial insect repellents. This compound is also responsible for the plant’s characteristic odor.
Other effective bug-repelling options include lemon, eucalyptus and peppermint essential oil (4).
How To Make Your Own Bug Repellent Spray
- Essential oils: Citronella, Clove, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Cedar, Catnip, Lavender, Mint
- 4 oz. Natural Witch Hazel
- 4 oz. Distilled or boiled Water
- 1/2 tsp Vegetable glycerin (optional)
- Fill a spray bottle half with water.
- Top off with witch hazel, leaving an inch or so of space at the top.
- Add the glycerin if using.
- Finally, add 30-50 drops of essential oils, the more you use, the more effective it’ll be. If you’re sensitive to strong smells, stick with catnip oil.
If you spend a lot of time outdoors, plant catnip, rosemary, lavender and mint in your garden or around your porch to keep the bugs at bay! You can also build a bat house to naturally control mosquito population around your home.
- What Happens to FAT, Inflammation and Immunity When You Eat 1 Tbsp of Elderberry Syrup Daily
Have your parents ever warned you not to eat the poisonous red berries of the elderberry bush? Surprisingly, when these …
- Here’s What THESE 5 Doctors Have To Say About Vaccines (You’ll Want To Hear This For Yourself!)
Let’s be honest, the subject of vaccines is pretty controversial, regardless of what side of the debate you stand on. …
- Depression May Some Day Be Diagnosed with a Blood Test
Clinical depression is a growing world-wide epidemic: 350 million people suffer from it. Unlike some other illnesses, diagnosis is often …
- No Evidence of Aloe Vera Found in the Aloe Vera at Wal-Mart, CVS
Aloe vera is one of the most popular home remedies throughout the Americas. While it used to be a folk …
- Beating Brain Tumors With a Scorpion Sting Paint
Brain surgery is perhaps the most delicate of intrusive surgical procedures. The brain, for the most part, all looks alike–unlike …
- Dancing Helps Improve Mobility in Seniors
If you thought of dance as exercise, you might not want to do it anymore—like when a 13-year-old child realizes …
- How To Wash Your Machine To Sanitize It And Remove Smells WITHOUT Any Harsh Chemicals
Let’s be honest, nobody likes cleaning the bathroom, but someone has to do it at least once a week! Since …
- Two Reasons You Should Get Up From Your Chair
There have been a few studies in the news lately about why it’s important not only to have an ergonomic …
- Yikes! This Medical Condition Can Cut Your Life Short by as Much as 8 Years
Researchers say extremely obese people can expect to die about eight years earlier than healthier people. The study, conducted by …
- Sugar Identified as a Top Cause of The Global Cancer Epidemic
Nearly every processed food (which accounts for ninety percent of what Americans eat) includes added sugar or artificial sweetener in …
- This Ginormous Factory Farm Can Grow 10,000 Heads of Lettuce per Day
Is it coincidence that the name of an enormous factory lettuce farm in Japan is located in the Miyagi Prefecture? …
- 7 Home Remedies For Dry Hands And Feet
The cold, dry air of winter months is never good for your skin. Winter also means cold and flu season, …
- The SHOCKING Truth About Milk The Dairy Industry DOESN’T Want You To Know
How many times a day do your drink milk? For many people, a meal or a snack isn’t complete without …
- Aspartame Is Linked To Leukemia And Lymphoma In Landmark Study On Humans
It’s time to play Kick the Can—of soda, that is. In a 22-year landmark study published in The American Journal …
- 2 Simple Juice Recipes That Will Replace Your Diabetes Drugs
Brace yourself. In brief, here are the statistics for the prevalence of diabetes in North America. United States: 9.3% of …