Bug infestations can quickly go from mildly annoying to unmanageable.
It can be embarrassing to have friends and family over when your home is overrun with stubborn pests.
Hiring an exterminator is expensive and the professionals tend to use chemical pesticides, which release toxic fumes that harm pets and humans alike.
Here are 5 natural ways to get rid of bugs.
Most bugs, especially spiders, dislike citrus fruits. Spiders actually have sensitive taste buds on the tips of their legs. These sensory structures hate the taste of orange, lemon and lime.
You can make your own non-toxic repellent by adding 5 drops of essential oil and up to 5 drops of natural dish washing liquid to 1 liter (quart) of water. For a stronger pesticide, add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the mix. Pour into a spray bottle and spray walls, baseboards and windowsills to keep your home free of spider webs (1).
To keep ants away from your home, cut up cucumber slices and keep them around the cracks, baseboard and door frames and other entry points for bugs. It works just as well as poisonous ant-repellent.
Cedar wood is one of the best materials to use in your wardrobe to keep prevent moths from overtaking your clothes. If you can’t afford to change your furniture, simply use cedar coat hangers or keep an open bag of mulch in your closet (2).
4. Dried Mint leaves
Hang dried peppermint leaves in your pantry and on your porch to keep black flies at bay. Plus, it’ll keep your home smelling fresh and clean!
5. Sprinkle Garlic and Pepper
Sprinkle garlic powder and ground pepper near windowsills, cupboards and door frames to keep bugs away. Sweep it up every few weeks and sprinkle new spices to ensure potency.
6. Spray Vinegar
Pour some vinegar and water into a spray bottle and spray anywhere that you notice spiders. Spray into cracks and crevices or any other area where you think spiders and other bugs may be getting inside your home.
Other Important Tips
Keep Your Yard Clean: Leaves, grass clippings, or piles of wood attract spiders and other bugs. The most important thing is to keep up with your yardwork so that these critters don’t nest on your lawn and crawl into your home for shelter in the fall.
Keep Your Home Clean: This may seem like a no-brainer, but keeping your home clean clears away potential hiding spots and food sources for bugs. Most pest also prefer a humid environment, so it may be worth investing in a dehumidifier for your cellar and attic.
- The Essential Oil Trick That Can Clean The Air In Your Home Better Than Any Diffuser
When it comes to all natural living, essential oils and essential oil diffusers are tools you simply can’t ignore. Made …
- This Ancient Detox Juice Fights Cancer And Promotes The Regeneration of New Healthy Cells
Although store-bought orange juice is a breakfast staple, it’s been criticized a lot lately for it’s high sugar content. However, …
- Here’s 9 Essential Antioxidants To Help Protect Your Body From Free Radicals
We’ve all heard about antioxidants and how great they are for our health. But what exactly are antioxidants and how do …
- 5 Toxins That Destroy Your Thyroid And a Simple Drink To Save It
Your thyroid secretes hormones that regulate the metabolism of every cell in the body (1). It plays an important role in: …
- Your Crock-Pot Is Leaking Lead Into Your Food! (Here’s An Inexpensive Way To Test It)
A slow cooker can be a treasure trove for cooks. Fill it in the morning and you come home to …
- 18 Green Smoothie Recipes To Trim Your Waist And Keep You Energized
A good diet is only ever as good as the results it yields– and the foods it allows you to …
- The 8 Most Effective Nighttime Drinks For Quick Liver Detoxing and Fat Burning
Similar to biorhythms that dominate your physical, emotional and intellectual state, Traditional Chinese Medicine believes that your body goes through …
- 7 Ways To Survive An Asthma Attack If You’re Caught Without An Inhaler
Most asthmatics rely on medication and inhalers to manage their symptoms in the case of an asthma attack. Unfortunately, although …
- Here’s Why You’re SO Addicted To Sugar…It’s NOT Entirely Your Fault!
Sugar addiction is real. Once we get a taste for it, we crave it and can’t seem to get …
- The Psychological Health Benefits of Dog Ownership
If you think about it objectively, it’s a weird idea to have an animal living in your home, walking around …
- Amazing Vitamin Stops Cancer Growth And This Is How Much You Need
In fact, recent research has found that vitamin D, which your body produces through sun exposure can help prevent and …
- This Hospital Prescribes Organic Fruit & Vegetables to Patients and The Results are Remarkable
What do you expect when you go to the doctor’s office and the doctor flips out his prescription pad? More …
- If You See This “Weed” Growing In Your Yard, Don’t Pick It! Here’s Why…
If you take a step outside your front door, how many plants in your garden are you be able to …
- 7 Lifestyle Choices That Can Help Lower High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure is a common health condition in the United States and it comes with a whole set of …
- This New Anti-Anxiety Cannabis Milk Is Coming To A Store Near You Soon
As new cannabis products pop up all over North America, health companies elsewhere in the world have also hopped on …