Bug infestations can quickly go from mildly annoying to unmanageable.
It can be embarrassing to have friends and family over when your home is overrun with stubborn pests.
Hiring an exterminator is expensive and the professionals tend to use chemical pesticides, which release toxic fumes that harm pets and humans alike.
Here are 5 natural ways to get rid of bugs.
Most bugs, especially spiders, dislike citrus fruits. Spiders actually have sensitive taste buds on the tips of their legs. These sensory structures hate the taste of orange, lemon and lime.
You can make your own non-toxic repellent by adding 5 drops of essential oil and up to 5 drops of natural dish washing liquid to 1 liter (quart) of water. For a stronger pesticide, add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the mix. Pour into a spray bottle and spray walls, baseboards and windowsills to keep your home free of spider webs (1).
To keep ants away from your home, cut up cucumber slices and keep them around the cracks, baseboard and door frames and other entry points for bugs. It works just as well as poisonous ant-repellent.
Cedar wood is one of the best materials to use in your wardrobe to keep prevent moths from overtaking your clothes. If you can’t afford to change your furniture, simply use cedar coat hangers or keep an open bag of mulch in your closet (2).
4. Dried Mint leaves
Hang dried peppermint leaves in your pantry and on your porch to keep black flies at bay. Plus, it’ll keep your home smelling fresh and clean!
5. Sprinkle Garlic and Pepper
Sprinkle garlic powder and ground pepper near windowsills, cupboards and door frames to keep bugs away. Sweep it up every few weeks and sprinkle new spices to ensure potency.
6. Spray Vinegar
Pour some vinegar and water into a spray bottle and spray anywhere that you notice spiders. Spray into cracks and crevices or any other area where you think spiders and other bugs may be getting inside your home.
Other Important Tips
Keep Your Yard Clean: Leaves, grass clippings, or piles of wood attract spiders and other bugs. The most important thing is to keep up with your yardwork so that these critters don’t nest on your lawn and crawl into your home for shelter in the fall.
Keep Your Home Clean: This may seem like a no-brainer, but keeping your home clean clears away potential hiding spots and food sources for bugs. Most pest also prefer a humid environment, so it may be worth investing in a dehumidifier for your cellar and attic.
- This Tropical Purple Fruit Has Been Shown to Fight Colon, Breast, Pancreatic and Skin Cancer
Just when you thought you knew every health-promoting fruit out there, another odd-looking purple fruit is making headlines for its …
- 4 Proven Ways to Relieve Stress and Live Better
Stress is a part of life that is unavoidable. Anything can stress you out and everyone, of course, is different …
- How To Use Herbalized Oils In Your Nose To Detox And Flush Out Toxins From Your Brain
Have you ever heard about “Nasya?” It’s considered one the top healing techniques used in Ayurveda. Nasya is the nasal inhalation …
- Homemade Essential Oil Laundry Powder You Can Make In Minutes For Clean Fresh-Smelling Clothes
There are three types of label-readers: never, sometimes, and always. When it comes to food, there has been quite a …
- Crazy Things That People Do in Their Sleep and How to Help
Many people may mumble in their sleep or toss and turn. Some have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. There …
- Eat Two Kiwi Fruits an Hour Before Bedtime And Get an Extra Hour of Sleep, Study Finds
Studies have shown that one in three adults suffers from insomnia or symptoms of insomnia, meaning that one in three …
- This Hysterical Video About a “Pregnant” Man Is a Good Reminder To Get Enough Dietary Fiber
In this peculiar ad, a couple experiences their first pregnancy…with a twist. That’s right, it’s the man who’s pregnant, not …
- Fake Cancer Charities Busted For Defrauding $187 Million In Donations From Americans
Most people who give to charities never question the true impact of their good deed. After all, charities are in …
- Say Goodbye To Ear Infection! Here’s How to Cure An Ear Infection Naturally in Just 1 Day!
Ear infections are one of the most common ailment children and adults suffer chronically. This is especially true for people …
- How To Cleanse Your Kidneys Almost Instantly Using This Natural Home Drink
Your kidneys are constantly filtering your blood, making sure that waste products exit your body from urine. When you live …
- 7 Surprising Sore Throat Remedies Hiding In Your Pantry
From air pollution that acts as an irritant to allergies and the frustrating common cold, the causes for developing a …
- Marijuana Is Making Colorado So Much Money They Literally Have To Give Some Back To Residents
Colorado residents may be seeing the benefits of their state’s new marijuana laws in the form of financial support soon, …
- 3 Proven Ways To Use Intermittent Fasting To Help You Burn Fat
Intermittent fasting – the act of fasting for up to 24 hours at a time – has become particularly popular …
- The SHOCKING Truth About Milk The Dairy Industry DOESN’T Want You To Know
How many times a day do your drink milk? For many people, a meal or a snack isn’t complete without …
- Be Careful! Why Flip-Flops Are The Most Dangerous Summer Choice For Your Feet And Ankles
It’s no surprise that summertime is many people’s favorite season. With the ever-growing heat and sun exposure, our clothes get …