Hippocrates once said, “let food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.”
While that is an oversimplification of how food affects our health, it still serves as a reminder that eating junk food doesn’t do us any good.
Here’s a list of foods that strangely look like the organs they’re good for!
1. Carrots For Your Eyes
Carrots are high in beta-carotene, which your body converts to vitamin A (1). This nutrient is essential for good vision (2).
For even stronger optical health, the vegetable contains lutein, an antioxidant which helps protect your retina (3).
2. Walnuts For Your Brain
According to the University Of Cambridge, Walnuts contain a number of neuroprotective compounds, including vitamin E, folate, melatonin, omega-3 fats, and antioxidants. Research shows daily walnut consumption may support overall brain health.
3.Celery For Your Bones
Celery contains Vitamin K, which has been proven not only to increase bone mineral density in osteoporotic people but also to actually reduce fracture rates (4). It also contains bone-healthy nutrients such as Boron, Magnesium, Vitamin C and folate (5).
4. Avocados For Your Uterus
Avocados contain folic acid (6), an important nutrient for pregnant women. Folic acid lowers the risk of birth defects such as neural tube defects (NTDs), heart and limb defects, urinary tract anomalies, narrowing of the lower stomach valve, and oral facial clefts (like cleft lip and cleft palate) (7). It also improves cervical dysplasia, a precancerous condition (8).
5. Grapefruit For Your Breast
Grapefruit is a citrus fruit which contains limonoids, which have shown to inhibit the growth of cancer in colon, lung, mouth, stomach and breast in animal and cell culture studies (9).
6.Tomato For You Heart
Lycopene is a natural antioxidant found in tomatoes that give them their color. It’s been discovered that lycopene may prevent heart disease and cancer (10).
7. Sweet Potato For Your Pancreas
Found in sweet potatoes, beta-carotene is an antioxidant that protects the body, including the pancreas, from damaging molecules called free radicals. This damage occurs naturally through stress and aging (11).
8. Ginger For Your Stomach
Ginger is one of the best spices for your digestive health. It can help prevent morning sickness, ease nausea, stop vomiting and cure dizziness (12). Try it as a tea!
- 5 Best Herbs To Help Increase Your Magnesium Levels
80 perccent of Americans experience magnesium deficiency at some point in their lives, often without even being aware of it(1). …
- 16 Herbs and Spices to Fight Diabetes That Don’t Taste Like Grass (You Won’t Regret Trying No. 10)
Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the United States. More than 29.1 million Americans are diabetic of which 8 …
- 3 Tips For Building Muscle On a Vegan Diet
Ask any vegan or vegetarian and they’ll tell you that the question that they get most about their diet is, …
- After Reading This, You’ll Never Look At Beets The Same Way Again
Beets are one of the most underappreciated root vegetables around the world. Colorful, acidic, and nutrient-dense, beets make a wonderful …
- What Did The Chicken On Your Plate Eat?
Many people are concerned about healthier eating and are actively trying to reduce the amount of red meat in their …
- Concerning Study: Commonly Used Sweetener is More Toxic than Sugar and Reduces Lifespan
It’s used in almost everything you eat. If you want to avoid it, only eat REAL food and skip the processed junk. The …
- This Baby Tries Avocado For The Very First Time…That Look In Her Eyes Says It All.
The great thing about babies is that they never lie. Their reactions to all things is 100% honest and adorable. …
- Sauerkraut Lab Results Reveal Shocking Probiotic Count…It’s Even Better Than Yogurt!
“Probiotics” (meaning “for life”) is the name given to microorganisms that live in our bodies—primarily in the intestines—keeping balance, cleaning …
- Anti-inflammatory Honey Turmeric Tonic Recipe And 17 Other Master Tonics
If you often find yourself tired or sick, it may be time to start integrating a master tonic or two …
- 5 Delicious Fruit-Infused Water Recipes To Drink Instead Of Soda
Soda can feel like a cool, refreshing drink on a hot day, but it’s hardly the most health-conscious option available. …
- Top 5 Worst Cooking Oils for Your Heart, Brain, and Skin
Let’s face it: Americans love fried foods. Whether it’s a delicious funnel cake from the county fair or an order …
- Twinkie Diet Helps Nutrition Professor Lose 27 Pounds
Kansas State University nutrition professor Mark Haub’s “Twinkie diet” immediately caught the attention of sites like CNN and The Huffington …
- 5 Unexpected Ways to Use Avocados
The avocado, which is actually a fruit, not a vegetable, boasts a wide array of health benefits. Rich in fiber, …
- Nestlè Removes GMO from Baby Foods in South Africa but Not U.S.
Parents in South Africa spoke, and Nestlè listened. In 2013, the African Center for Biosafety found that Nestlè’s Cerelac Honey …
- They Thought She Was Crazy. Eating Well on 4$ a Day?! But When She Made This… Simply Amazing!
Eating a nutritious meal often proves to be a huge undertaking for millions of Americans, especially those with an average …