4. Butternut Squash Flatbread
A real treat!
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2½ teaspoons grass-fed or vegetable gelatin
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons well-cooked and mashed butternut squash or sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (more or less to taste)
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- First, stir together coconut flour and gelatin.
- In a separate bowl, mix together squash/sweet potato and butter until smooth.
- Stir in the coconut flour/gelatin mixture until combined.
- Add egg and sea salt and stir until combined.
- Spoon batter into circles on the baking sheet to about ¾ inch thick.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, then carefully peel bread from parchment paper and flip. Bake breads for another 5 minutes until they are dry to the touch.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Enjoy immediately.
- Cheddar cheese
5. Cheesy No-cheese Flatbread
- 1 ½ cups tapioca starch
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or olive oil, ghee, or butter)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- olive oil for drizzling
- sea salt flakes or kosher salt for sprinkling
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F.
- Place tapioca starch in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add the coconut milk, oil, and salt into a small pan and heat over medium heat. Remove from heat just before it boil. Add mixture to the flour.
- Mix with a spoon, then set aside to cool for five minutes.
- Add the nutritional yeast, oregano, white pepper, and half of the rosemary to the dough.
- Knead together to incorporate everything.
- Carefully remove the hot pizza stone from the oven, then spread the dough over the stone.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the dough and sprinkle on the remaining rosemary, then bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool until warm to the touch.
- Drizzle with more olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt flakes; slice and serve.
- Serve warm with curries or pasta dishes
- Use as a pizza crust
6. Flatbread with Yucca Root
Yucca root (cassava) is rich in vitamins, minerals, and health-promoting phytochemicals. It’s been found to moderate blood sugar, relieve arthritis symptoms, boost the immune system, promote healthy skin, and is loaded with antioxidants. (7, 8) High in carbohydrates and low in protein, this flour isn’t appropriate for a paleo-type diet.
- 1 cup well-peeled, coarsely chopped yucca root, boiled and drained (cook for about 25 minutes or until fork-tender)
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- ½-¾ teaspoon garlic sea salt (or favorite seasoning blend)
- ¼ cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Once a batter is formed, pour onto a 1-inch deep baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread batter until about ¼” thick.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Once cooked, it should be very similar in texture to glutenous flatbread.
- Use fresh herbs like rosemary, oregano, basil, tarragon, or chives to jazz up this flatbread–it’s a blank canvas ready for your creativity!