Noooooo! Summer can’t really be over–so soon! Yes, boys and girls in the Northern Hemisphere, summer is officially over. Children are back at school and germs are rubbing their little whatevers together just waiting to pounce with the shortening days. But we’ll be ready!
Following are must-have home remedies for the most common nastiness of the season. Keep the ingredients on hand to put into use as soon as symptoms start.
1. Aromatherapy Headache Reliever
Headache often accompanies colds and flu due to congestion and restricted blood flow. The essential oils from these aromatic herbs will ease headache pain (and loosen nasal congestion, too).
- 1/2 gallon water, boiling
- ¼ cup dried rosemary
- ¼ cup dried mint
1. Pour boiling water into a large glass bowl and stir in herbs.
2. Lean your head over the bowl and drape a towel like a tent over your head and the bowl to keep the steam inside.
3. Inhale the steam from the bowl as long as you can.
4. Repeat as necessary.
2. Chest Rub
Better than a petroleum-based salve, this DIY rub smells good, feels good, and naturally eases congestion.
- 4 teaspoons grated beeswax
- 4 tablespoons shea butter
- 6 tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 20 drops each of mint, tea tree, and eucalyptus essential oils
1. Melt the beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil in a pot on the stove until just melted.
2. Mix until well combined.
3. Mix in essential oils. Allow the blend to cool.
4. Pour mixture into a sealable glass container. Apply as needed to the chest to relieve congestion.
3. Cough Drops
If you’ve never had a homemade cough drop, you’re in for a treat. No junk in these but simply nutritious and soothing. Horehound is an anesthetic, analgesic, and expectorant.
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup dried horehound
- 1 ½ cups raw honey
- Sweet rice flour
1. Place the horehound and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Boil the mixture for 3 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. While the mixture is simmering, cover a cookie sheet with about ¼ inch of sweet rice flour. Use your thumb to make indents in the flour. These will be your molds for the cough drops.
4. After the horehound has simmered 15 minutes, strain it out of the water with a cheesecloth. Squeeze the leaves to remove as much water as possible.
5. Bring the water back to a boil and stir in honey. Heat until the mixture reaches 300º F.
6. Remove from heat and immediately pour into the flour molds.
7. Allow drops to cool and harden at room temperature. Take one drop as necessary throughout the day to ease cough and sore throat.
4. Cough Syrup
Over-the-counter cough syrups are full of synthetic sweeteners and analgesics. Nature does better than any laboratory–tastes better, too. These ingredients add nutrition as well as their soothing properties; honey and cinnamon are anti-inflammatories and antivirals to calm congested lungs and send the germs a-packing.
- 1/4 cup raw organic honey
- 1/4 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons organic cinnamon, ground
1. Melt the coconut oil on the stove until just melted.
2. Stir in honey and cinnamon and mix until a paste forms.
3. Eat the syrup one teaspoon at a time as needed throughout the day.
5. Muscle Rub
Aches and pains often accompany flu. The essential oils will penetrate into your muscles and joints to provide warm, soothing relief. Clove is an effective anesthetic, used for dental pain before the invention of novacain.
- ½ cup organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops clove essential oil
- 5 drops wintergreen essential oil
- 5 drops spruce essential oil
1. Melt coconut oil on the stove until just melted.
2. Pour coconut oil into a sealable glass container and mix in essential oils.
3. Let mixture cool and allow oil to solidify, then spread on sore muscles as needed. Seal tightly and store in a cool, dark place.
6. Thyme Tea
Thyme is an anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antioxidant–good for helping fight infection and soothing your respiratory tract.
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons raw local honey
1. Boil the water and thyme together on the stove.
2. Strain out the thyme leaves.
3. Stir in the honey and pour into a mug. Enjoy while warm.
Best wishes for an easy cold and flu season!
- Doctors Removed His Heart and Installed This Weird Device In Its Place. The Results are Shocking.
In March of 2011, a gentlemen by the name of Craig Lewis, a 55-year-old suffering from a life threatening heart …
- How To Reset Your Circulation And Metabolism For The Next Day With This 10-Second Reflexology Trick
Feet aren’t pretty, but they sure are useful. Think about it, all day they carry you around, holding up your …
- This 2-Ingredient Combination Boosts Weight Loss if You Drink it Every Morning on an Empty Stomach
Your long-term health doesn’t come down to how many diets you’ve been on or how many time’s you’ve gone on …
- Anyone Whose Hair Is Falling Out Needs To Make This 2-Ingredient Drink Immediately
Hormones are chemical transmitters in the body that tell cells what to do and when. They are produced by the …
- A Survey Was Given to 114 U.S. Doctors About Nutrition. Their Answers Should Be a Huge Wake Up Call for U.S. Healthcare.
Nutrition is pretty basic. You are what you eat and all that. We put our faith in our physicians to …
- Mix Bananas, Honey and Water: Cough and Bronchitis Will Disappear
If you have ever had bronchitis, you know how hard it is to treat. Worse of all, when your airway …
- She Drank Warm Honey Lemon Water Every Morning For a Year…(Must See What Happened)
The health benefits of honey and lemons are undeniable. They’re so good for you that simply adding them to your water …
- Top 11 Reasons Why Your Metabolism Isn’t Working at 100%
In spite of all the information and all the prescriptions offered by modern diets, people just keep getting fatter. This …
- Castor Oil Is Great For Thickening And Regrowing Hair, Eyelashes And Eyebrows
One of the most prominent and popular beauty trends as of late has been full eyelashes and eyebrows. Many women rely …
- 4 Ways To Keep Your Thyroid Gland Healthy
Many people have questions when it comes to the purpose and function of the thyroid. This small gland can have …
- Stress Less: How to Eliminate Stress in Your Work Life
What can you do when work stress feels overwhelming and uncontrollable? There are many steps you can take to eliminate …
- She Sprays Her Yard With Apple Cider Vinegar…The Reason? This Is Pure GENIUS!
Sure, vinegar is an essential ingredient in any home, but the condiment is often underestimated in and out of the …
- Why You Should NEVER Buy Or Drink This Type of Milk Ever Again
Did you know that up until recently, the soybean was not even considered fit to eat? Although it has been …
- 8 Natural Ways to Alleviate Pain
When you experience pain of any type, it can be enough to drive you to reach for some acetaminophen or …
- Top 5 Causes for Cancer
Environmental factors, the food you eat, and the lifestyle you choose play an important role in determining if you are …