Poor diet, little sleep, and lack of exercise don’t just take a toll on your waistline, they also take a toll on your cardiovascular health.
One of the most silent and deadly threats of a poor lifestyle is high cholesterol, which can present very few obvious symptoms.
Thankfully, it’s very easily reversed through simple dietary interventions. Most notably, eating more celery and grapefruit can help lower your blood pressure and blood lipid levels dramatically.
Here’s an easy way to get more of these superfoods in your daily diet.
Cholesterol-Busting Juice Recipe
Drink this every day to improve the health of your heart and arteries.
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 stalks of celery
- ¼ lemon
- ½-inch ginger (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a juicer or blender.
- If necessary, strain the juice before consuming.
- Enjoy immediately
Warning: If you’re on any medication, do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice as it can amplify their desired bioavailability and lead to overdose (1).
Grapefruit is known to affect:
- Certain cholesterol medications (Mevacor, Lipitor, Zocor, Vytorin)
- Blood pressure medications (Adalat, Procardia, Plendil, Nitrendipine)
- Some psychiatric drugs: (Halcion, Zoloft, Versed, Valium, Tegretol, Buspar)
- Immune suppressants
- Methadone and some other pain medications
- Viagra and erectile dysfunction drugs
Before drinking this juice or consuming ANY grapefruit, talk to your doctor.
How It Works
Celery contains 3-n-butyl phthalide (3nB), a compound which gives the vegetable its distinctive odor and taste. The compound also lowers blood pressure. The father of a researcher who studied the phenomena inspired his research after lowering this blood pressure from 158/96 to 118/82 after eating a quarter-pound of celery daily for 1 week.
The vegetable works by acting as a diuretic to filter toxins out of the blood and as a vasodilator to increase the elasticity of the blood vessels to lower blood pressure (2).
Additionally, celery phthalides act as smooth muscle relaxants by impacting the flow of calcium and potassium inside cells and related nervous system activity. As muscles around blood vessels relax, the vessels expand and blood pressure drops.
Researchers from the University of Chicago found that 4 stalks of celery a day could potentially lower blood pressure by 12 to 14 percent and reduce cholesterol by about 7 percent (3).
Lastly, the vegetable has the ability to lower inflammation, improve the integrity of the stomach lining, decrease the risk of stomach ulcer, regulate stomach secretions, fight cancer, combat obesity, prevent diabetes, and fight insomnia (4).
Grapefruit contains a flavonoid called naringenin, which has the ability to treat diabetes, keep cholesterol in check, and prevent other metabolic disorders (5).
It increases fatty acid oxidation and lowers cholesterol and bile acid production in the liver. The fruit also has a positive effect on cholesterol metabolism, kidney function, blood sugar levels, and insulin response (6).
One study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry questioned whether red grapefruit or white grapefruit worked best by examining 57 people with high cholesterol who had had coronary bypass surgery at least a year before the experiment. All participants had unsuccessfully undergone cholesterol drug treatment (7).
After 30 days of low-calorie, low-fat diet with either added a daily red grapefruit, a white grapefruit, or no fruit, all patients experienced lower cholesterol levels. The red grapefruit group saw the best improvement and were the only group to also improve their triglycerides levels.
- How To Do a 3-Day Sugar Detox to ACCELERATE Fat Loss And Improve Your Mood!
Everybody gets a sweet tooth every once in a while, but it’s easy for these cravings to develop into full-blown …
- The World’s #1 Food For Heart Attack, Hypertension, Stroke And Cholesterol
Dates aren’t the most attractive fruit, but they certainly are sweet and nutritious. Studies show that this amazing fruit has …
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …