Poor diet, little sleep, and lack of exercise don’t just take a toll on your waistline, they also take a toll on your cardiovascular health.
One of the most silent and deadly threats of a poor lifestyle is high cholesterol, which can present very few obvious symptoms.
Thankfully, it’s very easily reversed through simple dietary interventions. Most notably, eating more celery and grapefruit can help lower your blood pressure and blood lipid levels dramatically.
Here’s an easy way to get more of these superfoods in your daily diet.
Cholesterol-Busting Juice Recipe
Drink this every day to improve the health of your heart and arteries.
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 stalks of celery
- ¼ lemon
- ½-inch ginger (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a juicer or blender.
- If necessary, strain the juice before consuming.
- Enjoy immediately
Warning: If you’re on any medication, do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice as it can amplify their desired bioavailability and lead to overdose (1).
Grapefruit is known to affect:
- Certain cholesterol medications (Mevacor, Lipitor, Zocor, Vytorin)
- Blood pressure medications (Adalat, Procardia, Plendil, Nitrendipine)
- Some psychiatric drugs: (Halcion, Zoloft, Versed, Valium, Tegretol, Buspar)
- Immune suppressants
- Methadone and some other pain medications
- Viagra and erectile dysfunction drugs
Before drinking this juice or consuming ANY grapefruit, talk to your doctor.
How It Works
Celery contains 3-n-butyl phthalide (3nB), a compound which gives the vegetable its distinctive odor and taste. The compound also lowers blood pressure. The father of a researcher who studied the phenomena inspired his research after lowering this blood pressure from 158/96 to 118/82 after eating a quarter-pound of celery daily for 1 week.
The vegetable works by acting as a diuretic to filter toxins out of the blood and as a vasodilator to increase the elasticity of the blood vessels to lower blood pressure (2).
Additionally, celery phthalides act as smooth muscle relaxants by impacting the flow of calcium and potassium inside cells and related nervous system activity. As muscles around blood vessels relax, the vessels expand and blood pressure drops.
Researchers from the University of Chicago found that 4 stalks of celery a day could potentially lower blood pressure by 12 to 14 percent and reduce cholesterol by about 7 percent (3).
Lastly, the vegetable has the ability to lower inflammation, improve the integrity of the stomach lining, decrease the risk of stomach ulcer, regulate stomach secretions, fight cancer, combat obesity, prevent diabetes, and fight insomnia (4).
Grapefruit contains a flavonoid called naringenin, which has the ability to treat diabetes, keep cholesterol in check, and prevent other metabolic disorders (5).
It increases fatty acid oxidation and lowers cholesterol and bile acid production in the liver. The fruit also has a positive effect on cholesterol metabolism, kidney function, blood sugar levels, and insulin response (6).
One study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry questioned whether red grapefruit or white grapefruit worked best by examining 57 people with high cholesterol who had had coronary bypass surgery at least a year before the experiment. All participants had unsuccessfully undergone cholesterol drug treatment (7).
After 30 days of low-calorie, low-fat diet with either added a daily red grapefruit, a white grapefruit, or no fruit, all patients experienced lower cholesterol levels. The red grapefruit group saw the best improvement and were the only group to also improve their triglycerides levels.
- Super Green DETOX Drinks That Will Remove ALL Toxins And Excess Fat From Your Body
Your body routinely processes and eliminates toxins via urine, feces, perspiration, and breath. For the typical North American, however, toxins …
- This is What Happens to Your Body When You Drink 10 Cokes a Day For a Month
You’ve probably at least heard of the documentary Super Size me, a 2004 Film directed by and starring Morgan Spurlock. The film follows a …
- Researchers Wanted To See How Well Wasabi Fared Against Cancer…They Were Not Disappointed!
The potent condiment wasabi, made from spicy Japanese horseradish, may be useful as more than just an addition to your …
- Eating Ghee Butter Is Actually Good For The Heart (And Here’s How To Make Your Own)
Many health experts since the 1970’s have utterly condemned saturated fats and have led us all to believe that when …
- 12 Foods Fit People Love
We all want to know the secrets of very fit people. How do they motivate themselves every day? When do …
- 1 TBSP of Apple Cider Vinegar For 60 Days Can Eliminate These Health Problems
Vinegar is definitely not a new substance. It has been in existence since at least 5000 BC when the Babylonians …
- Eat 7 Walnuts And Wait 4 Hours: This Is What Will Happen To You!
Almonds seem to get all the spotlight when it comes to how healthy nuts can be. Although it’s true that they’re …
- 8 Foods Naturopathic Doctors Always Buy
There are certain foods that always end up in my shopping cart. I stick to a healthy, easy, and quick …
- Use This Medicine Once a Year and Forget About Diseases
Garlic is one of the oldest and most widely used functional foods on the planet. With over 7,000 years of …
- Is Water Fluoridation Contributing to the Obesity Epidemic?
Fluoridated water is the norm all across America. Most people don’t think twice about this practice. After all, if it …
- Don’t Throw Away Your Orange Peels…Use Them To Make Your Own Vitamin C Supplements!
Vitamin C is famous as a home remedy for the common cold – it’s a powerful immune system booster, essential …
- 22 Tasty and Proven Detox Drinks That Will Help You Lose Weight
Juice is a healthy alternative to soda and other sweet drinks, isn’t it? It can be: juice prepared at home …
- These 3 Ingredients Work Synergistically To Create a Mixture With Incredible Anti-Cancer Properties
There are many factors that lead to the development of cancer – from environmental factors like pollution, to genetic predisposition …
- The Suprising Reason Why You Should Eat ONE Carrot Every Day And The Best Way To Prepare Them
Carrots aren’t only good for your eyesight, and though beta-carotene is often thought of as the most beneficial compound within …
- Burn Stubborn Belly Fat With THIS Metabolism-Boosting Detox Water
It’s important to stay hydrated throughout the day. Water is the best beverage choice and there are ways we can …