After becoming a father, a Florida man has created a new infant safety bed that may significantly reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) in newborns.
The Kickstarter campaign has been so popular that it generated over 100 000$ in just two days despite having a 30,000$ goal and 30-day timeline (1).
The product, which looks like a mesh hammock that’s secured on a crib, “holds your baby the way nature intended, no complicated mechanics, just an ergonomic design that naturally mimics your embrace.”
James Spencer, who has a 22-day-old newborn said he created the product because he was losing sleep over his daughter’s health at night. “by designing an infant sleeper that removes avoidable risks associated with early infancy I slept easier,” he said (2).
Each year in the United States, there are roughly 3,500 Sudden Unexpected Infant Deaths (SUID) from SIDS or accidental suffocation (3).
Although the rate of SIDS has been reduced dramatically since 1990, from 130.3 deaths per 100,000 to 38.7 deaths in 2014, the rates of accidental suffocation and strangulation in bed have remained the same.
SIDS is largely influenced by sleep environment. For example, babies who sleep on their stomach or side will have more difficulty breathing than when they are placed on their back. Fluffy comforters, blankets, and mattress toppers can also block the child’s airway while they sleep. Parents who sleep with newborns also multiply their risk of suffocation and being rolled over or pushed into small spaces (4).
Spencer’s product, named “Crescent Moon” improves the sleep environment of newborn children by providing a transition between the womb and the world.
The lightweight fabric is meant to “naturally support the baby in the “fetal-tuck” or the “fetal position” which is the natural position for newborn babies.” This also supports the “C Curve” of a baby’s spine, which is forced into an unnatural position when the child sleeps on a flat surface.
It even reduces the risk of flat head syndrome (Plagiocephaly) and soothes the startle reflex of newborn babies and improve their sleep and helps parents get more sleep too. It also prevents children from rolling onto their side or tummy and provides ample airflow to prevent overheating.
Additionally, the product claims to help in the following ways:
- Enables to babies to breathe easier and get more oxygen to developing vital organs. Easy breathing and more oxygen promote infant growth by freeing up calories and energy that can be used for development.
- Speeds up muscle development but also speeds up the development of nerve cells that control the muscles.
- Leads to rapidly developing motor skills.
- Helps with digestion and prevents reflux.
- Helps hip development and prevents hip dysplasia.
The product has been tested and meets U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission standards. Since SIDS can occur anytime during a baby’s first year “Crescent Moon” should be used as soon as your child gets home (5).
While “Crescent Moon” may help lower the risks of SIDS, it cannot impact physical causes of the disease such as brain abnormalities, low birth weight, respiratory infection, and other physiological factors.
- 10 Healthy Habits That Will Keep Your Kidneys Happy
Kidneys are amazing organs, with the ability to sustain adult human life at only 20 percent of its normal functioning …
- What Your Tongue Says About Your Health
The tongue has been recognized as an important diagnostic tool for millennia, dating back to ancient Chinese medicine. Even modern …
- Dove’s ‘Real’ Beauty Products Are Filled With Cancer-Causing Chemicals, Fake Dyes and Toxic Fragrance
In one sense the marketing gurus of Dove beauty and skin care products hit the nail on the head. They …
- 35 Easy Tips to Help Fend off Stress
Stress can be detrimental to your work performance, not to mention the negative effects it has on aging, anger, and …
- How To Kill Fungus FAST With Coconut Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar and Green Tea
Fungal infection can be unpleasant and downright embarrassing. Fungi live in moist environments around your home, pool, gym and backyard. …
- How To Use The R-I-C-E Method To Quickly Get Rid of Swollen Ankles, Legs And Feet
After a long day up on your feet or a long flight, you may notice that your ankles, legs and …
- ‘Bedtime Procrastination’ Is Very Real and It’s Destroying Your Health
The idiom goes “I’ll sleep when I’m dead,” but tweak the phrase to “I’ll sleep after I watch one more …
- 6 Natural Mosquito Repellents That Work
Few things can be as frustrating as listening to mosquitos when trying to drift off to sleep or being bitten …
- How To Use Essential Oil For Tooth Pain And Oral Health
New studies show how important dental health, including our gums, is to our overall health. In fact, periodontal disease is …
- Why Hair Loss Is An Early Warning Sign You Should Never Ignore (And What To Do About It!)
Everyone knows what it’s like to lose a little hair. In fact, we lose 50-100 strands per day on average …
- The UN Treaty to Ban Mercury: For Big Business or Consumer Safety?
Mercury, also known as thimerisol, has long been known as a dangerous toxin. It has been shown to cause changes …
- How Chronic Emotional Stress Can Ruin Your Health
Does interacting with your boss make the veins in your forehead stand out? Does your off-again-on-again-off-again relationship tie your stomach …
- Why Slacking off at Work is Great for your Health
Do you think your final words, when lying on your death bed will be at all like this; ‘I wish …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- High-Tech “Granny Pods” Could Be The Solution To Expensive Nursing Homes. This Is Genius!
In American society, family members tend to grow apart as they age. When they can no longer live a fully …