After becoming a father, a Florida man has created a new infant safety bed that may significantly reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) in newborns.
The Kickstarter campaign has been so popular that it generated over 100 000$ in just two days despite having a 30,000$ goal and 30-day timeline (1).
The product, which looks like a mesh hammock that’s secured on a crib, “holds your baby the way nature intended, no complicated mechanics, just an ergonomic design that naturally mimics your embrace.”
James Spencer, who has a 22-day-old newborn said he created the product because he was losing sleep over his daughter’s health at night. “by designing an infant sleeper that removes avoidable risks associated with early infancy I slept easier,” he said (2).
Each year in the United States, there are roughly 3,500 Sudden Unexpected Infant Deaths (SUID) from SIDS or accidental suffocation (3).
Although the rate of SIDS has been reduced dramatically since 1990, from 130.3 deaths per 100,000 to 38.7 deaths in 2014, the rates of accidental suffocation and strangulation in bed have remained the same.
SIDS is largely influenced by sleep environment. For example, babies who sleep on their stomach or side will have more difficulty breathing than when they are placed on their back. Fluffy comforters, blankets, and mattress toppers can also block the child’s airway while they sleep. Parents who sleep with newborns also multiply their risk of suffocation and being rolled over or pushed into small spaces (4).
Spencer’s product, named “Crescent Moon” improves the sleep environment of newborn children by providing a transition between the womb and the world.
The lightweight fabric is meant to “naturally support the baby in the “fetal-tuck” or the “fetal position” which is the natural position for newborn babies.” This also supports the “C Curve” of a baby’s spine, which is forced into an unnatural position when the child sleeps on a flat surface.
It even reduces the risk of flat head syndrome (Plagiocephaly) and soothes the startle reflex of newborn babies and improve their sleep and helps parents get more sleep too. It also prevents children from rolling onto their side or tummy and provides ample airflow to prevent overheating.
Additionally, the product claims to help in the following ways:
- Enables to babies to breathe easier and get more oxygen to developing vital organs. Easy breathing and more oxygen promote infant growth by freeing up calories and energy that can be used for development.
- Speeds up muscle development but also speeds up the development of nerve cells that control the muscles.
- Leads to rapidly developing motor skills.
- Helps with digestion and prevents reflux.
- Helps hip development and prevents hip dysplasia.
The product has been tested and meets U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission standards. Since SIDS can occur anytime during a baby’s first year “Crescent Moon” should be used as soon as your child gets home (5).
While “Crescent Moon” may help lower the risks of SIDS, it cannot impact physical causes of the disease such as brain abnormalities, low birth weight, respiratory infection, and other physiological factors.
- Mix This with Shampoo To Stop Dandruff And Increase Hair Growth
You never know when you might need the following home remedies for dandruff. Half of us experience dandruff—dead skin cells …
- 6 Unexpected Things That Happen To Your Body When You Stop Eating Meat
Going vegetarian or not is ultimately a personal choice – there are advantages and disadvantages to a vegetarian diet, but …
- She Puts Baking Soda and Essential Oils in a Glass Container…The Result Is Amazing!
Try as you may to keep your home smelling great, certain factors may occasionally leave a trail of stench that …
- 5 Reasons Why You Don’t Want Your Cholesterol Levels Too Low
We hear about cholesterol and how it leads to cardiovascular disease and now cancer. People have latched on to that …
- This Simple Snack Combines 3 Proven Foods To Fight Depression Without Any Side Effects
According to the National Institute of Health (NIH), major depression is currently one of the most common mental disorders in …
- Own A Pet? Here Are 4 Unexpected Ways Your Pet Is Making You Healthier!
It’s hard to imagine the average American household without thinking about pets. Not surprisingly, 2 out of 3 families in …
- Warning Signs Your Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium Levels Are OFF and How To FIX It!
You might have noticed that working out or sweating excessively may leave you feeling tired and dehydrated even when you …
- Johnson & Johnson Loses Again, Jury Awards Woman $70m For Baby Powder Causing Her Cancer
In another high-profile case, a California woman has won 70$ million in her lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson. She claimed …
- 18 Medicinal Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender is the sweet smelling herb with blue-violet flowers that many of us will associate with our grandmothers and childhood. …
- Bionic Ear Delivers DNA to Regrow Auditory Nerve Cells
It’s been many years since the $6-million man showed us what technology can do for the human body; at the …
- 20 Little-Known Uses for Dandelions From Baking and Pain RELIEF to Quickly Removing Warts
If you’ve ever had a garden or a backyard, then you know how annoying it is to get rid of …
- The World’s Oldest Yoga Teacher Reveals Her Secrets to Maintaining a Youthful Mind and Healthy Body
They say yoga keeps you healthy and young; the epitome of that adage is 96-year-old Tao Porchon Lynch. Lynch is …
- Sauna Exposed: What Happens To Your Body After Using A Sauna
Saunas have a long history in Scandinavian health and culture. With over 2000 years of history and more saunas in …
- What Happens When You Drink Banana And Cinnamon One Hour Before Going To Sleep
Sleep disorders are extremely prevalent all over the world. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine published an article specifically about insomnia …
- 8 Things You’re Doing That Drive Your Doctor Crazy
With the availability of information constant and instant, many people are taking their health into their own hands, doing research …