Some parts of the body hold on to fat longer than others.
If you are like many people, no matter how much you exercise or how carefully you eat, those stubborn spots don’t seem to want to go away.
Unfortunately, there’s no such thing as targeting an area for weight loss. Your body has a mind of its own, regardless of your wishes.
Boost Your Metabolism
Boosting your metabolism will energize your whole body. Keeping your body working at a higher level will use up more calories to burn belly fat and tone other troublesome areas.
“Metabolism” is an over-arching term that covers all the chemical processes that take place in your body to perpetuate life: from breaking down food to cells using energy (calories) from nutrients.
Nutrition and activity are therefore the two key factors in your individual metabolism. Genetics also play a part in how your body functions internally.
Curious? Watch the video below for a brief tutorial on metabolism:
Your metabolic rate is important in the context of weight loss because a rapid metabolism will increase energy expenditure. To get rid of those last pockets of unsightly bulges, increasing your metabolism will help to burn off fat even after you’ve stopped exercising.
Belly Fat Burning Workout
The following exercises can be done at home to get your heart pumping, blood flowing, and cells working overtime.
Interval training works by alternating bursts of intense activity with short breaks, promoting anaerobic capacity. Don’t try to do them all at once: the rest between sets is as important as performing the exercise.
This group of three exercises will take five minutes to do but the effects will continue to help burn belly fat long after your workout.
1. Bear Crawl
Engaging your core will tone and strengthen your torso. Form is important: your back should remain absolutely flat throughout so that the abdominal muscles are doing most of the work.
- Kneel on the floor with your knees directly below hips. Place your hands on the floor in front of you so that they are directly below the shoulders.
- Raise your knees slightly off the floor by pushing up on the balls of your feet.
- Crawl forward with opposite-side arms and legs together: right arm/left leg forward, then left arm/right leg forward, keeping heels off the floor and weight evenly distributed between the balls of the feet and the hands. Make sure to keep your back straight and your hips low.
- Take 10 steps forward and 10 steps back. It’s harder than it sounds and may take a little practice to perfect the form.
- Rest for 30-60 seconds and do as many reps as you like.
2. Cross-Switch Jumps
Lunges work your core, back, glutes, and quadriceps.
Make sure your lunge form is correct before you pick up speed—check in the mirror to verify that your head, neck, and back are aligned with the back leg. Also, the front knee should be directly over the ankle so you don’t strain the joints. Both knees should be at 90° angles.
If you’re new to lunges, start with simple lunges first before quickening the pace.
- Stand with your feet together and hands on your hips.
- Lunge forward with the right leg, then quickly push up through the right heel and jump to switch legs so that your left leg moves forward into a lunge. Your torso should remain facing forward.
- With each lunge, go down toward the floor until the back knee is almost touching it.
- Do as many as you can in 30 seconds, rest for 30-60 seconds, then do another set.
3. Plank Walk Tuck Reach
Anything with a jump will get your heart pumping!
This exercise combines a reach with a plank walk to jump tuck. Start slowly until you get the hang of it, then do as many as you can in 30 seconds. Break for 30-60 seconds between sets.
- Stand with your feet together and arms straight up.
- Bending at the hips, lower your hands to the floor and walk them forward to a plank position: hands in line with the shoulders, and legs outstretched with the balls of the feet on the floor. Imagine a straight line from the top of your head to the heels of your feet.
- From the plank, jump both feet forward to behind your hands then jump back into a plank.
- Walk your hands back toward your feet and stand straight with your arms up to return to the starting position.
For best results, perform all 3 exercises in a row every day. As they get easier, repeat the whole belly fat burning workout two or three times daily, resting in between each set.
- Love Hurts: The Neuroscience Behind Heartache
It’s that time of year again. Whether you’d like to admit it or not, Valentine’s Day brings with it emotions, …
- Pay Close Attention To These Numbers When Buying Fruit!
Have you ever wondered what the numbers on some of the foods you buy really mean? It’s actually a lot more …
- 9 States Awaiting Marijuana Legislation in 2014
There are currently 21 states where marijuana is now legal, as of late March when Utah passed a bill to …
- Cannabis Proves Effective In Treating Crohn’s Disease by Reducing Pain, Inflammation and Diarrhea
A new clinical study published in the journal Pharmacology and by the National Institute of Health has found that cannabis …
- After Reading THIS You’ll Never Throw Away These Little Bags Again…(#5 Is My Favorite)
Have you ever wondered what those little packets in your shoes boxes really do? You’ve probably heard your parents say …
- More Evidence Links Agricultural Pesticides to Autism
A new study by the University of California, Davis shows a correlation between the exposure to agricultural pesticides during pregnancy …
- Global Warming Worsens Spring Allergies
Have you noticed that your springtime allergies are getting worse? You’re not alone. New research shows that spring is coming …
- Specialized Eyeglasses Make Cancer Glow Blue for Surgeons
A new prototype eyewear makes cancerous cells illuminate blue while looking through the lenses. The yet-unnamed device was developed by a …
- Horrific Birth Defects in Washington State Has Experts Baffled
There is something seriously wrong in the fertile Yakima Valley region of Washington. A surging number of babies are being …
- Brazil Chicken Farmers Say No To American GMO Corn
Despite mounting evidence against the use of GMO crops, many companies and agricultural agencies insist that they’re safe to use. …
- 6 Ways To Use Banana Peels To Fight Acne Naturally
People will go to great lengths to get good skin, often spending hundreds of dollars on skin products and dermatology …
- 5 Easy Ways to Prevent Kidney Disease
Kidney disease is the result of many factors including poor diet, alcohol overconsumption, and self-medication. You need to be careful of …
- How To Remove Dangerous Mold And Unpleasant Odors From Your Washing Machine With 2 Ingredients
Many people think of their washing machine as a self-cleaning appliance. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. You may notice after …
- 5 Warning Signs of Poor Blood Circulation In The Body
Your circulatory system doesn’t rest. It’s in action every second of your life but is paid little attention unless you …
- 10 Things That Will Happen To You If You Stop Wearing Makeup
Makeup is a great way to enhance your natural beauty and to improve self-confidence. It’s also a great way to …