Many people struggle with managing their weight and keeping their body in shape. If you have a limited amount of time in your day to work out, try planking. This single exercise is effective in toning your entire body!
Anyone who’s tried planking before will tell you that it really works out the whole body.
As you perform it, you should feel tension in the buttocks, arms, shoulders, chest, back, neck, legs, feet and abdominal muscles.
It is believed that planking burns more calories than crunches because it engages your whole body instead of just your core (1).
Planking helps (2) :
- Improve posture
- Improve sports performance
- Reduce back and shoulder pain (3)
- Prevent osteoarthritis, as well as other muscular and joint aches
- Maintain healthy digestion
- Boost metabolism
- Improve Flexibility and balance
- Boost mood
How To Plank
When it comes to this exercise, the most important thing is to keep your back straight and maintain proper posture.
- Start with your belly to the ground, keeping your feet at hip’s width apart and your palms beside your chest at shoulder’s width apart. This starting position should resemble a push-up position.
- Lift yourself up, placing your weight on your toes and lower your arms one at a time so that your forearms are touching the ground. Your weight should be distributed equally on your toes and forearms.
- Keep your back straight with your head facing the ground, tightening your core and buttocks.