Want to speed up your metabolism?
There are plenty of tips and tricks that can help you do so – but first, how about taking a step back to look at your life and your habits to see if you are doing anything to slow your metabolism down?
Most people don’t even realize how much damage some of their choices – including dietary habits – can do to their metabolism.
Here are seven things that you definitely want to avoid doing if your metabolism has been a bit sluggish.
7. Not Having a Meal Schedule
You don’t have to be regimented in your approach to dining, but you should have a basic food schedule in place that has you eating at regular intervals throughout the day. Eating at the same time every day may actually trick your body into burning more calories between meals.
6. Not Cleaning Produce
You already know pesticides are bad for you for numerous reasons, but you probably didn’t know that one of those reasons is the negative effect it can have on your metabolism. This happens because the chemicals in pesticides disrupt your body’s hormonal balance thus wreaking havoc on the process that your body uses to burn energy.
Whether you lead a busy lifestyle or you’re having difficulty sleeping for any other reason, lost sleep can have a big impact on your metabolism. So called “sleep debt” has been shown to have a major impact on the speed of your metabolism, especially in older individuals, so be sure you’re getting enough rest.
4. Low Iron Intake
Are you getting enough iron in your diet? It’s important to eat iron rich foods such as dark, leafy greens as it plays a crucial role in various bodily processes, including metabolism. If you don’t get enough iron, your blood doesn’t get enough oxygen, you lose energy, and your metabolism slows down. This one’s especially important for women, whose iron levels drop each month during their periods.
3. Eating Too Little
While it may sound counterintuitive, not eating enough – whether it’s through attempting to diet, not having a lot of time for meals, or sheer forgetfulness – can have a major impact on your metabolism. That’s because not eating enough sends your body into starvation mode, which makes it hang onto calories (while sending your energy levels plummeting).
2. Not Getting Enough Calcium
Calcium is important to the metabolism of fat in your body, which is why getting enough calcium is often recommended for weight loss.
Your body needs water for everything that it does. That includes various metabolic processes – in fact, being dehydrated can lead you to burn up to 2 percent fewer calories per day. Be sure that you’re getting enough water throughout the day.
-  http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/1/16.short
-  http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/dept/comguide/effects_excerpt.pdf
-  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673699013768
-  http://jn.nutrition.org/content/131/2/568S.short
-  http://www.jennifersygo.com/pdf/DangerUnderEatingUpdate.pdf
-  http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20000417/calcium-low-fat-diet
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22543739
- Dryer Sheets Cause Hormone Imbalance, Neurotoxicity, Respiratory Problems, and Even Cancer
You use them weekly to get your clothes soft and smelling fresh, but did you know that the dryer sheets …
- It Just Keeps on Getting Weirder. Coke Is Going To Try And Sell You Premium Milk.
Soda sales are falling, so Coca-Cola is getting ready to sell us a new drink. You may have heard of …
- Watch How a Simple Walking Technique Can Improve Your Balance And Reduce Falls
Most of our public spaces and even our homes are well-lit and relatively easy to maneuver around. But there are …
- Your Depression Is NOT Caused By Chemical Imbalance. And Yes, There’s Way a To FIGHT It!
1 in 10 Americans currently takes antidepressants. In middle-aged women, this number goes up to 1 in 4 (1). These …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- He Pours Vinegar In His Toilet Tank and Flushes. The Result is Genius!
Of out all the chores that need to be done regularly, the most unpleasant and tedious one is cleaning the …
- Top 5 Weight Loss Drinks You Need To Try
Thinking about losing a few extra pounds? The only true way to shed off unwanted weight is with a strict …
- Top 9 Signs and Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
Right now, there are more than 2.3 million people in the world who are affected by Multiple Sclerosis (MS).  …
- The American Sugar Consumption
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past decade, chances are you’ve heard or read something about sugar …
- Massive Recall Issued For Contaminated Canned Tuna!
On March 16th 2016, the FDA published a tuna recall affecting three companies with product processed at the same facility. In …
- If You Blow On Your Thumb, Here’s The Effect It Will Have On Your Body
Even though it’s been the object of science since the dawn of civilization, the human body still hides many mysteries. …
- How To Remove Blackheads Naturally Using Only 2 Ingredients
Although these two conditions have multiple factors and often require a visit to the dermatologist to fully cure, there are …
- Infographic Shows The Differences Between The Diseases We Donate To And The Diseases That Kill Us
People donate money to causes that matter to them personally but there are obviously those that are more “popular” than …
- Bacteria Outbreak: Massive Recall of Frozen Food Products Sold at Trader Joe’s, Costco, And Walmart
358 products sold nationwide at Trader Joe’s, Costco, and Walmart have been recalled out of concern that they were potentially …
- Lots of People Have Food Allergies – You Could Too
The gluten-free health trend has swept the nation but that’s not the only food allergy around. Believe it or not, …