Want to speed up your metabolism?
There are plenty of tips and tricks that can help you do so – but first, how about taking a step back to look at your life and your habits to see if you are doing anything to slow your metabolism down?
Most people don’t even realize how much damage some of their choices – including dietary habits – can do to their metabolism.
Here are seven things that you definitely want to avoid doing if your metabolism has been a bit sluggish.
7. Not Having a Meal Schedule
You don’t have to be regimented in your approach to dining, but you should have a basic food schedule in place that has you eating at regular intervals throughout the day. Eating at the same time every day may actually trick your body into burning more calories between meals.
6. Not Cleaning Produce
You already know pesticides are bad for you for numerous reasons, but you probably didn’t know that one of those reasons is the negative effect it can have on your metabolism. This happens because the chemicals in pesticides disrupt your body’s hormonal balance thus wreaking havoc on the process that your body uses to burn energy.
Whether you lead a busy lifestyle or you’re having difficulty sleeping for any other reason, lost sleep can have a big impact on your metabolism. So called “sleep debt” has been shown to have a major impact on the speed of your metabolism, especially in older individuals, so be sure you’re getting enough rest.
4. Low Iron Intake
Are you getting enough iron in your diet? It’s important to eat iron rich foods such as dark, leafy greens as it plays a crucial role in various bodily processes, including metabolism. If you don’t get enough iron, your blood doesn’t get enough oxygen, you lose energy, and your metabolism slows down. This one’s especially important for women, whose iron levels drop each month during their periods.
3. Eating Too Little
While it may sound counterintuitive, not eating enough – whether it’s through attempting to diet, not having a lot of time for meals, or sheer forgetfulness – can have a major impact on your metabolism. That’s because not eating enough sends your body into starvation mode, which makes it hang onto calories (while sending your energy levels plummeting).
2. Not Getting Enough Calcium
Calcium is important to the metabolism of fat in your body, which is why getting enough calcium is often recommended for weight loss.
Your body needs water for everything that it does. That includes various metabolic processes – in fact, being dehydrated can lead you to burn up to 2 percent fewer calories per day. Be sure that you’re getting enough water throughout the day.
-  http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/1/16.short
-  http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/dept/comguide/effects_excerpt.pdf
-  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673699013768
-  http://jn.nutrition.org/content/131/2/568S.short
-  http://www.jennifersygo.com/pdf/DangerUnderEatingUpdate.pdf
-  http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20000417/calcium-low-fat-diet
-  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22543739
- Eat Better, And Your Friends Will, Too!
If you’ve ever tried to lose weight, you probably know how hard it can be to stick to your eating …
- 6 Relaxation Techniques To Help You Sleep Better at Night
It can happen to anyone, no matter how tired you may be: insomnia. It can be caused by any of …
- More Evidence Links Agricultural Pesticides to Autism
A new study by the University of California, Davis shows a correlation between the exposure to agricultural pesticides during pregnancy …
- Big Pharma Stands To Lose $18.5 Billion If All 50 States Legalize Medical Marijuana
Pharmaceutical companies are one of the biggest influences in the US economy and, subsequently, in US law. It is no …
- Monsanto’s Glyphosate Poisoning Lake Erie, Causing Toxic Algae Blooms Responsible For Killing Fish
Mention the name “Monsanto” and you are sure to get a rise from almost everyone these days. This behemoth biotech …
- 5 Things You Can Do Each Day That Will Help You Recover From Depression
I’m big on personal development (PD), and one of my favorite concepts is the Slight Edge Principle, because it helped …
- Infographic Shows The Differences Between The Diseases We Donate To And The Diseases That Kill Us
People donate money to causes that matter to them personally but there are obviously those that are more “popular” than …
- The 4 Worst Weight Loss Advice You Should Ignore
Weight loss is a tricky subject to discuss. There are plenty of tips and tricks out there that are supposedly …
- 15 Reasons Why You NEED To Make Ginger Syrup And How To Use It Every Day (With Recipe!)
Ginger is probably one of the most widely used culinary spices in the world. It brings life to so many …
- Hand-Foot-And-Mouth Disease Is Sweeping Across Parts Of The US: Experts Beg Parents To Know These Signs
If you have kids, you probably know about Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD). While it sounds like a peculiar …
- Sprinkle 1 TBSP of THIS On The Stem of Your Plants And Watch What Happens!
Tending a garden is one of the most rewarding hobbies to have. Plants can be affected by many variables which cause them …
- Is Chocolate Really a Naughty Treat?
When considering healthy living, many people consider eating chocolate to be a cardinal crime. However, there have been numerous studies …
- 10 Unusual Ways to Live Longer
Want to live longer? Check out these ten unusual ways to extend your longevity. 1. Wait Longer to Retire While …
- This Is How Your Body Tries To Warn You That You’re Eating Too Much Salt
Sodium is essential to human health. The mineral helps to regulate fluids, maintain nerve transmissions and stimulate muscle contractions. But …
- Fact or Fiction? Alcohol Can Help You Lose Weight
A recent study has found some interesting results – that moderate drinkers are often thinner than those who don’t touch …