High blood pressure is a common condition, but it’s easily avoidable in most cases (1).
Your blood pressure changes constantly throughout the day, reaching higher peaks when you wake up, work out, or when you experience stress.
Factors like inactivity, poor diet, genetics, and chronic stress can cause the blood to flow through blood vessels with more force than what’s considered normal. This extra force puts a strain on the heart and blood vessels and can lead to heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, and death.
Around 76.4 million people in the United States have high blood pressure, and the condition typically affects adults over the age of 65 (2).
If you suffer from high blood pressure, you can control and even reverse your condition by eating better, restricting your consumption of salt, sugar, trans fats, and exercising daily. To get an extra boost, make sure to eat a bit of garlic every day.
1. Use Garlic Instead of Salt
Lowering your sodium intake is an essential part of managing high blood pressure, so grate a bit of dried garlic and use it in lieu of salt.
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Set aside for 10-15 minutes
- Place them in an oiled skillet over low heat until they get golden.
- Strain off the olive oil, and store for future use. This flavoured oil is great for salads, pasta, or even bread.
- Dry the cloves on a parchment-lined baking sheet for about 2-3 days.
- Store the dried cloves in a sealed jar away from heat and light.
- To use, grate a bit of garlic over your dish and enjoy!
2. Straight & Raw
Allicin can be destroyed when it’s exposed to high heat, so it’s always best to eat garlic raw. Garlic doesn’t just lower blood pressure, it can regulate low blood pressure, improve coronary heart disease, prevent heart attack, reverse reduced blood flow, and fight atherosclerosis (4).
To use garlic medicinally, it’s always best to eat it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to improve the bioavailability of its active compounds.
- Crush 2 cloves of garlic and let them rest for 15 minutes. Do not eat anything during this period.
- Eat the cloves and wash them down with a tall glass of lemon water. The lemon will help get rid of the garlic smell.
- If the taste is too strong, take a teaspoon of honey to appease your taste buds.
- Repeat daily for a month for visible results.
3. Flavoured Oil
Flavored oil doesn’t just elevate your meals, it also helps prevent the cold and flu, help manage diabetes, relieves osteoarthritis, treat diarrhea, cure headaches, and heal menstrual disorders. If you can’t stomach raw garlic on its own, this oil is perfect for you (5).
- 20 cloves of whole garlic
- A liter (32 ounces) of extra virgin olive oil
- A glass jar
- Peel and crush garlic.
- Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Pour the oil into your jar and cover with oil until it’s flush.
- Let the jar sit in a cool, dark place for 3 weeks.
- Use daily for best results.
4. Garlic Tea
Garlic isn’t exactly what you’d want your afternoon tea to taste like, but its strong flavour is matched by the strength of its properties.
Drink it every day on an empty stomach to ward off rectal, stomach, breast, prostate, lung, and bladder cancer. If you’re eating raw garlic in the morning, drink this tea in the afternoon.
- One garlic clove, peeled
- One cup of water
- A little bit of grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- A tablespoon of honey
- Crush garlic and let it sit.
- Pour water into a small saucepan and boil over medium heat.
- Add garlic, ginger, and honey to boiling water.
- Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Strain and serve.
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- 30 Simple and Effective Whole Food Substitutes to Improve Your Total Wellness Right Away
If you haven’t caught up by now, the Standard American Diet – appropriately nicknamed SAD – is horrible. It’s literally …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …
- 11 Good Reasons Why Ignoring Polyphenols In Your Diet Is a Big Mistake!
What is something that dark chocolate, green tea, red wine, blueberries, flaxseed, and coffee all have in common? Polyphenols! Polyphenols …
- Top 13 Inflammatory Foods You Should Avoid
As we get older, our bodies don’t always keep up. Muscles aren’t as strong as they used to be, skin …
- How Much Water Do We Need To Drink, According To Our Weight?
If you’ve never taken the time to appreciate all the health benefits of water, now may just be the right …
- How To Make Alkaline Water To Fight Fatigue, Digestive Issues And Cancer
Is alkaline water good for you? A healthy body should always be slightly alkaline. The majority of people today, however, tend to …