Many individuals are aware of what antioxidants are, their role in cancer prevention, and fighting free radicals.
That’s why, the cooking method you use to prepare foods shouldn’t be completely ignored. Properly prepared meals can dramatically improve nutrient retention and reduce the risks of many diseases.
Making sure to maximize the nutrients within your food helps strengthen the immune system.
There are numerous studies and publications which tell people that microwaving and deep frying can actually destroy cancer fighting elements in foods.
Many also say that raw vegetables are best; however, this is not the whole truth. Certain cooking methods can make specific food nutrients more readily available for digestion than if they were eaten raw.
1. Best Way To Eat Tomatoes
The tomato is actually a fruit and not a vegetable, though many people refer to it as one. This vine fruit contains a powerful ally against several types of carcinoma, as well as cardiovascular disease, known as lycopene.
The same nutrient that can be found in watermelon, lycopene is a potent antioxidant that effectively assist the body in reducing oxidative stress.
The New York Times published an interesting article which cited several examples. It stated that cooking tomatoes for only a mere 2 minutes reduces their, as well as other vegetables’, vitamin C content. On the other hand, cooking tomatoes increases the readily availability of lycopene.
There is some variance among experts concerning the amount of cooking time. The AICR says that consuming tomatoes which have been cooked with olive oil for about 40 minutes increases lycopene absorption up to 55%.
2. Best Way To Cook Cruciferous Vegetables
Cruciferous vegetables contain myrosinase which is required in order to create sulforaphane. Sulforaphane has been shown to have powerful cancer destroying properties.
Cruciferous vegetables include vegetables such as cabbage, kohlrabi, and broccoli to name a few.
Specifically broccoli sprouts contain the greatest amount of the vitally important myrosinase enzyme.
The AICR recommends steaming broccoli for no more than five minutes, which conserves myrosinase, as opposed to using a microwave or boiling it which effectively destroys the enzyme.
3. Best Way To Cook Potatoes
Potatoes are the most commonly consumed food which has the potential of creating acrylamide.
Acrylic amide, or acrylamide, is a water soluble chemical compound which is created through a chemical reaction by cooking foods high in starch at intense temperature.
Exposure to high concentrations of acrylamide have resulted in negative health aspects in study animals including the growth of tumors.
Boiling and steaming the starchy foods reduces the likelihood of the chemical reaction. Broiling, baking, and frying are much more likely to produce acrylamide.
Even if the foods are exposed to lower temperatures, but for longer periods of time the chemical reaction will still result.
Submerging potatoes in water for at least 15 minutes prior to preparing them can measurably reduce the formation of this chemical compound.
It is also recommended that potatoes be kept in cool, dark storage, but not in the refrigerator. If this dish must be fried, it is best to do so only until the potatoes are golden, not dark brown. The FDA recommends the same for grains such as toast.
- Steam or bake vegetables in their skins to benefit from cancer fighting properties without losing all of their important water soluble vitamins.
- The AICR encourages preparing meat using low temperatures to reduce the risks of developing cancer. Numerous carcinoma preventive meal preparation tips may be found on their website.
- Mince garlic at least 10 minutes prior to cooking it to release the cancer fighting, antioxidative enzyme known as allicin.
- Use herbs and spices to add flavor to your foods and to fight cancer.
- Always add a bit of fat with foods high in fat-soluble vitamins, such as vitamins A, E, and K.
- Add lemon or other foods high in vitamin C to vegetables that are rich in iron to help increase absorption of this important mineral. For instance, add lemons to a spinach salad.
- Bacteria Outbreak: Massive Recall of Frozen Food Products Sold at Trader Joe’s, Costco, And Walmart
358 products sold nationwide at Trader Joe’s, Costco, and Walmart have been recalled out of concern that they were potentially …
- How To Read Barcodes to Find out Where Your Food Really Comes From
Even if you take a look at the ingredients and food facts you probably don’t glance at the product code. …
- Johnson & Johnson To Pay $72M For Ovarian Cancer Death Linked To Talcum Powder
“Just a sprinkle a day helps keep odor away.” That was the slogan used by Johnson & Johnson to market …
- How To Grow Your Own Avocado Tree In Small Garden Pot
If you’re like most health-conscious people, you probably go through countless avocados every week. Although most people throw out its …
- 5 Health Risks Associated with Low Testosterone Levels
Testosterone plays an important role in the health of men. Testosterone levels are highest during teenage years and early adulthood …
- Women Who Jump At Least 10X a Day Show Greater Hipbone Density Than Those Who Don’t
Anyone for a spot of bone jarring? As it has been proven that bones should, and need to be jarred …
- Revolutionary Diabetes Cure: Human Trial Set To Begin In 2015
Researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham have found verapamil, a blood pressure medication, can be effective in reversing …
- Do You Know Why Exercise Helps Your Heart?
We all hear about how exercise improves heart health, but how exactly does that happen? Let’s take a look at …
- 6 Key Nutrients Women Need as They Age
The specific composition of women’s bodies means that it’s important they get enough of certain vitamins and minerals, in order …
- Monsanto’s Glyphosate Poisoning Lake Erie, Causing Toxic Algae Blooms Responsible For Killing Fish
Mention the name “Monsanto” and you are sure to get a rise from almost everyone these days. This behemoth biotech …
- Is Chocolate Really a Naughty Treat?
When considering healthy living, many people consider eating chocolate to be a cardinal crime. However, there have been numerous studies …
- Use These One-Ingredient Solutions To Make Your House Bug-Free (Without Chemicals)
Bug infestations can quickly go from mildly annoying to unmanageable. It can be embarrassing to have friends and family over …
- Eat Two Kiwi Fruits an Hour Before Bedtime And Get an Extra Hour of Sleep, Study Finds
Studies have shown that one in three adults suffers from insomnia or symptoms of insomnia, meaning that one in three …
- Peanut Oil Hiding in Popular Cleaning and Personal Care Products
Some people are so intensely allergic to peanuts that the smell from someone else’s breath can cause a reaction–sometimes a …
- How to Make Ginger Water to Treat Migraines, Heartburn, Joint and Muscle Pain
Flavored waters are the new health craze—and for good reason. Not only is water essential for hydration and flushing toxins …