Fried foods certainly have their appeal, but they aren’t exactly healthy or easy to make.
In an effort to make healthier versions of popular snacks like fries and tater tots, many moms nationwide have opted for frozen oven-baked alternatives.
Unfortunately, these treats are filled with preservatives, flavor enhancers, and even coloring agents. Hence, sometimes it’s better to just heat up your oil and do things the old-fashioned way.
To make these snacks healthier, swap out the canola oil for brain-boosting coconut oil and trade the high-heat deep fryer for a large stainless steel or cast iron pan. You can also lower the calorie count by replacing potatoes with flavorful zucchini.
Zucchini is by far one of the most popular and best-known squashes.
Plus, this delicious summer veggie is chock-full of magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, vitamin C, riboflavin, and vitamin B6 (3).
According to the American Heart Association, potassium can help control blood pressure by protecting your body from the harmful effects of salt. In turn, it also prevents heart disease and stroke (4). Vitamin C is also great for heart and artery health.
Magnesium, on the other hand, prevents muscles spasms, fights headaches, transmits nerve impulses, and plays a role in metabolism. It’s so important that your body stores magnesium for future use. In fact, that Medical News Today states that “over 50 percent of that magnesium is stored in the skeletal system, and the rest is found in muscle, soft tissues, and bodily fluids.”
Best of all, zucchini is delicious and versatile: try it steamed, boiled, spiralized, or fried! You can even eat it raw!
Zucchini Fritters Recipe
To make these even healthier, bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes.
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 organic eggs
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- Grate zucchini using a large-holed cheesegrater.
- Place zucchini in a strainer, toss with ½ teaspoon of salt, and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a few layers of paper towel and wring out extra moisture.
- Place zuchinni in large bowl and gently mix in egg, garlic, basil, oregano, lemon zest, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and slowly add flour, stirring well to avoid clumps.
- Heat 2 tablespoons ofcoconut oil or olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat until the oil sizzles when you drop a small amount of zucchini mixture into the pan.
- Carefully drop about 2 tablespoons zucchini mixture into pan.
- Repeat, spacing fritters a few inches apart.
- Cook fritters until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, turn fritters, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer fritters to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Cook remaining zucchini mixture, adding more oil to the pan if necessary.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
To make the dip, prepare 1 ripe avocado and blend with ½ teaspoon of onion powder and ½ teaspoon of mayonnaise. Fold in ½ cup finely chopped dill and add a squirt of lime to prevent it from going brown.
For a more colorful plate, batter up a few zucchini blossoms and fry them up too!
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- How to Effectively Remove a Painful Ingrown Toenail WITHOUT Having To Go To The Doctor
If you ever suffered from an ingrown toenail, then you know that it’s not only super painful, it’s also hard …
- THIS Is What Happens To Your Face After Washing It With Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
Baking soda and coconut oil face wash, can be very good for washing your face. Exfoliating your skin has become …
- Energy Saving Light Bulbs Are Poisonous To The Brain, Nervous System, Liver, Kidneys And Heart
There is a growing frenzy about the safety of energy saving light bulbs, which have grown increasingly popular. The US …