Fried foods certainly have their appeal, but they aren’t exactly healthy or easy to make.
In an effort to make healthier versions of popular snacks like fries and tater tots, many moms nationwide have opted for frozen oven-baked alternatives.
Unfortunately, these treats are filled with preservatives, flavor enhancers, and even coloring agents. Hence, sometimes it’s better to just heat up your oil and do things the old-fashioned way.
To make these snacks healthier, swap out the canola oil for brain-boosting coconut oil and trade the high-heat deep fryer for a large stainless steel or cast iron pan. You can also lower the calorie count by replacing potatoes with flavorful zucchini.
Zucchini is by far one of the most popular and best-known squashes.
Plus, this delicious summer veggie is chock-full of magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, vitamin C, riboflavin, and vitamin B6 (3).
According to the American Heart Association, potassium can help control blood pressure by protecting your body from the harmful effects of salt. In turn, it also prevents heart disease and stroke (4). Vitamin C is also great for heart and artery health.
Magnesium, on the other hand, prevents muscles spasms, fights headaches, transmits nerve impulses, and plays a role in metabolism. It’s so important that your body stores magnesium for future use. In fact, that Medical News Today states that “over 50 percent of that magnesium is stored in the skeletal system, and the rest is found in muscle, soft tissues, and bodily fluids.”
Best of all, zucchini is delicious and versatile: try it steamed, boiled, spiralized, or fried! You can even eat it raw!
Zucchini Fritters Recipe
To make these even healthier, bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes.
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 organic eggs
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- Grate zucchini using a large-holed cheesegrater.
- Place zucchini in a strainer, toss with ½ teaspoon of salt, and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a few layers of paper towel and wring out extra moisture.
- Place zuchinni in large bowl and gently mix in egg, garlic, basil, oregano, lemon zest, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and slowly add flour, stirring well to avoid clumps.
- Heat 2 tablespoons ofcoconut oil or olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat until the oil sizzles when you drop a small amount of zucchini mixture into the pan.
- Carefully drop about 2 tablespoons zucchini mixture into pan.
- Repeat, spacing fritters a few inches apart.
- Cook fritters until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, turn fritters, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer fritters to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Cook remaining zucchini mixture, adding more oil to the pan if necessary.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
To make the dip, prepare 1 ripe avocado and blend with ½ teaspoon of onion powder and ½ teaspoon of mayonnaise. Fold in ½ cup finely chopped dill and add a squirt of lime to prevent it from going brown.
For a more colorful plate, batter up a few zucchini blossoms and fry them up too!
- Why You Should Use Essential Oils Instead of Antibiotics
All too often when you go to the doctor with an illness such as a cold or the flu or …
- Orgasm Hard To Add Years To Your Life
Good news for just about everyone who wants to live longer: having more orgasms might tack years onto your life. …
- Here’s Why Your Lack of Sleep Is Causing Your Body To Gain Weight
It’s amazing how many people try to soldier through life on only a few hours of sleep. They see their …
- Three Exercises to Boost Metabolism and Burn Belly Fat
Some parts of the body hold on to fat longer than others. If you are like many people, no matter …
- How to Train Your Brain To Prevent Memory Loss And Alzheimer’s Disease
Still think you can’t teach an old dog new tricks ? Turns out your brain is much more adaptable than …
- 5 Ways to Allergy-Proof Your Home
Allergy season is in full swing and allergy-sufferers are really suffering. If you’re being pummelled by pollen and suffering its …
- Human Trial Shows Cannabidiol Reduces Seizures in Kids With Severe Form of Epilepsy
Years of anecdotal evidence showing the benefits of cannabidiol (CBD) in reducing the frequency of seizures in adults and children …
- These 2 Things Trigger Fibromyalgia. Here’s How To Avoid Them
There is no disputing we live in crazy, hectic times. Longer work hours to achieve the same or even less …
- 1 Lemon Peel Trick To Get Rid of Inflammation And Chronic Pain
Lemons are well-known for its health benefits. In fact, you’ve probably heard a lot about the advantages of drinking warm lemon water …
- This Face Mask Naturally Removes Stains, Acne Scars And Wrinkles After Second Use
Your skin is like a window to what’s going on inside your body. What you eat and how you’re feeling …
- Not Even Cancer Can Stand Up To This Combination of Honey And Baking Soda
What Relation Does Baking Soda And Cancer Have? When you’re not feeling well, you shouldn’t reach for conventional pain …
- Being Overweight due to ‘Slow Metabolism’ No Longer Just an Excuse
No longer can people be mocked for saying the reason they are overweight is due to ‘bad genes’, because researchers …
- DIY Home Remedy Kit for Cold and Flu Season (6 Items)
Noooooo! Summer can’t really be over–so soon! Yes, boys and girls in the Northern Hemisphere, summer is officially over. Children …
- Moisturizing, Pain-Relieving Bath Melts Recipe With Coconut Oil And Magnesium
Most people love to throw a bath bomb in the tub and soak their worries away. There are numerous types …
- You’ll Never Go to Bed Without Putting Lemon Peel on Your Heel Again After Reading This!
One of the many joys of summer is wearing sandals and feeling the warm sun on your toes…especially if you …