While ceramic and glass cookware have been popular for a while, old-fashioned cast iron cookware is coming back into style.
These heavy pots and pans can last for up to a hundred years if well taken care of. This makes their sometime hefty price tag well worth the investment.
However, with the popularity of toxic non-stick cookware, many people are intimidated by the small amount of maintenance cast iron cookware requires.
How To Clean it
This is where things get a little tricky. Cast iron pots should never be soaked in water or left in the sink. These habits will make your pan rust.
When it’s well oiled, cookware should be easy to clean by running it under a bit of hot water. For stubborn caked-on food, boil water in your pan and use coarse salt and a stiff brush to scrub any residue away (1).
Once clean, towel dry the cookware and dry it on the stove over low heat. Afterwards, apply a light coat of oil in the inside of your skillet using a clean cloth or paper towel. Store in a dry, cool place, protecting your cupboard with a cloth or paper towel.
Secret Tip For A Well-Seasoned Pan
The best way to maintain your pan and give it a natural non-stick sheen is by regularly seasoning your pan (2).
While Butter and vegetable shortening are commonly used, coconut oil works even better!
Coconut oil, has a high smoke point of 177°C (350°F). Other healthy high smoke point oils include avocado and almond oil (3).
How To Season Your Pan
- Aluminum foil
- Coconut, Avocado or Almond Oil
- Hot water
- A stiff brush
- A dry cloth/paper towel
- Preheat your oven to 35o°F
- Wash the cookware with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush. This is only time you should be using soap on cast iron since you’ll be seasoning it again.
- Rinse and dry completely your cookware.
- Apply a very thin, even coating of coconut oil inside and outside of your cookware. Don’t apply too much, as it will end up sticky.
- Line the bottom rack of the oven with aluminum foil to catch any drips of oil.
- Place cookware upside down on the top rack of the oven to season properly.
- Bake the cookware for at least one hour.
- Once baked, let the cookware cool in the oven.
- Store the cookware uncovered, in a dry place when cooled.
- Repeat as necessary.
- 4 Surprising Reasons Why Taking Antacids Is Bad For Your Bones, Kidneys And Stomach
Antacids are used to suppress heartburn, acid indigestion, burping, stomach bloating, and abdominal discomfort. Half of all Americans are believed …
- Top 6 Reasons Why You’re Forgetful
Did you forget where you put your keys again? Maybe you can’t remember what you ate for dinner yesterday. Memory …
- Grandparents Who Babysit Are Less Likely to Develop Alzheimer’s
If you’re in your golden years, chances are you love spending time with your grandchildren. But did you ever stop …
- Do These 2 Things Everyday To Protect Your Brain From Alzheimer’s
There is an outdated school of thought which believes that once you’ve reached physical maturity, your brain ceases to make …
- Creamy, Easy To Make, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free, Coconut Ice Cream
Dessert sure is sweet, but it typically comes with a price. That being said, it can be healthy and satisfying …
- Ice in 6 out of 10 Restaurants has More Bacteria Than Water From Toilets
A survey of ice served in ten British fast food restaurants found that at six of them, there were more …
- 5 Body Hacks To Avoid a Hangover
The best way to prevent a hangover, of course, is to avoid drinking, or have only one or two cocktails …
- Top 5 Causes for Cancer
Environmental factors, the food you eat, and the lifestyle you choose play an important role in determining if you are …
- Use These One-Ingredient Solutions To Make Your House Bug-Free (Without Chemicals)
Bug infestations can quickly go from mildly annoying to unmanageable. It can be embarrassing to have friends and family over …
- How The Pharmaceutical Industry Is Partly Responsible For Creating “Superbugs”
While antibiotic drugs like penicillin have saved countless lives and eliminated most public health threats like syphilis, there is a …
- 5 Vital Reasons to Shed That Excess Weight
If you have been struggling to muster up the motivation to lose that excess weight that has been lurking for …
- 37 Million Bees Found Dead After GMO Fields Were Planted Nearby
There are close to 20,000 different species of bees in the world. You are probably familiar with bumble bees and, …
- How to Grow Your Own Unlimited Supply of Turmeric At Home. It’s Ridiculously Easy!
Turmeric is a super spice. Many experts believe that turmeric may have over 600 potential preventive and therapeutic applications. It has both antiseptic and …
- Powdered Alcohol – Important Things You Should Know
Earlier this week, an Internet frenzy unleashed the news that powdered alcohol will be available soon in the US. Announcements …
- Feed Your Brain The Right Nutrients To Help Regulate Your Mood And Curb Depression
There’s a growing body of research that says that for people with depression, proper nutrition can provide a world of …