While ceramic and glass cookware have been popular for a while, old-fashioned cast iron cookware is coming back into style.
These heavy pots and pans can last for up to a hundred years if well taken care of. This makes their sometime hefty price tag well worth the investment.
However, with the popularity of toxic non-stick cookware, many people are intimidated by the small amount of maintenance cast iron cookware requires.
How To Clean it
This is where things get a little tricky. Cast iron pots should never be soaked in water or left in the sink. These habits will make your pan rust.
When it’s well oiled, cookware should be easy to clean by running it under a bit of hot water. For stubborn caked-on food, boil water in your pan and use coarse salt and a stiff brush to scrub any residue away (1).
Once clean, towel dry the cookware and dry it on the stove over low heat. Afterwards, apply a light coat of oil in the inside of your skillet using a clean cloth or paper towel. Store in a dry, cool place, protecting your cupboard with a cloth or paper towel.
Secret Tip For A Well-Seasoned Pan
The best way to maintain your pan and give it a natural non-stick sheen is by regularly seasoning your pan (2).
While Butter and vegetable shortening are commonly used, coconut oil works even better!
Coconut oil, has a high smoke point of 177°C (350°F). Other healthy high smoke point oils include avocado and almond oil (3).
How To Season Your Pan
- Aluminum foil
- Coconut, Avocado or Almond Oil
- Hot water
- A stiff brush
- A dry cloth/paper towel
- Preheat your oven to 35o°F
- Wash the cookware with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush. This is only time you should be using soap on cast iron since you’ll be seasoning it again.
- Rinse and dry completely your cookware.
- Apply a very thin, even coating of coconut oil inside and outside of your cookware. Don’t apply too much, as it will end up sticky.
- Line the bottom rack of the oven with aluminum foil to catch any drips of oil.
- Place cookware upside down on the top rack of the oven to season properly.
- Bake the cookware for at least one hour.
- Once baked, let the cookware cool in the oven.
- Store the cookware uncovered, in a dry place when cooled.
- Repeat as necessary.
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- The Real Truth: Antidepressants Actually Deplete These 3 Crucial Nutrients for the Brain
Antidepressants are one of the most prescribed medications out there. But how much do you know about the side effects …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …
- They Said Hydrogen Peroxide Was Great, But They Didn’t Tell You This
Hydrogen peroxide is perhaps best known for its ability to clean up wounds. But, as this article will attest to, …
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids Fight Inflammation The Same Way as Cannabis (Via Cannabinoids)
Cannabinoids are powerful healing compounds found in cannabis that bind to cannabinoid receptors in the brain and gut (1). Other …