While ceramic and glass cookware have been popular for a while, old-fashioned cast iron cookware is coming back into style.
These heavy pots and pans can last for up to a hundred years if well taken care of. This makes their sometime hefty price tag well worth the investment.
However, with the popularity of toxic non-stick cookware, many people are intimidated by the small amount of maintenance cast iron cookware requires.
How To Clean it
This is where things get a little tricky. Cast iron pots should never be soaked in water or left in the sink. These habits will make your pan rust.
When it’s well oiled, cookware should be easy to clean by running it under a bit of hot water. For stubborn caked-on food, boil water in your pan and use coarse salt and a stiff brush to scrub any residue away (1).
Once clean, towel dry the cookware and dry it on the stove over low heat. Afterwards, apply a light coat of oil in the inside of your skillet using a clean cloth or paper towel. Store in a dry, cool place, protecting your cupboard with a cloth or paper towel.
Secret Tip For A Well-Seasoned Pan
The best way to maintain your pan and give it a natural non-stick sheen is by regularly seasoning your pan (2).
While Butter and vegetable shortening are commonly used, coconut oil works even better!
Coconut oil, has a high smoke point of 177°C (350°F). Other healthy high smoke point oils include avocado and almond oil (3).
How To Season Your Pan
- Aluminum foil
- Coconut, Avocado or Almond Oil
- Hot water
- A stiff brush
- A dry cloth/paper towel
- Preheat your oven to 35o°F
- Wash the cookware with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush. This is only time you should be using soap on cast iron since you’ll be seasoning it again.
- Rinse and dry completely your cookware.
- Apply a very thin, even coating of coconut oil inside and outside of your cookware. Don’t apply too much, as it will end up sticky.
- Line the bottom rack of the oven with aluminum foil to catch any drips of oil.
- Place cookware upside down on the top rack of the oven to season properly.
- Bake the cookware for at least one hour.
- Once baked, let the cookware cool in the oven.
- Store the cookware uncovered, in a dry place when cooled.
- Repeat as necessary.
- Spray This Oil And You Will Never See Mold Again
Mold is everywhere, whether you can see it or not. These microscopic fungi flourish not only in the bathroom but …
- Science Proves Himalayan Salt Lamps Fight Anxiety and Depression
If you’ve already made the switch to Himalayan salt in the kitchen, why not take it a step further? Large …
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …