A study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that drinking 280 mL of tomato juice is associated with a 22% decrease in levels of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1), a potent marker of inflammation, and a 25% increase in adiponectin, a hormone that regulates insulin sensitivity and energy levels (12).
The compound protects against prostate, breast, lung, bladder, ovaries, colon, and pancreatic cancer. It also plays a role in cardiovascular health and can even prevent heart disease, hypertension, and atherosclerosis.
Naringenin, a compound found in tomato skin, also fights inflammation while quercetin, another flavonoid, fight free radicals and cancerous cells (13).
Tomato Soup Recipe
Make sure to use organic high-quality ingredients to fight off inflammation.
- ¾ cup fresh cherry tomatoes, rinsed and cut in halves
- 1 jar diced tomatoes (don’t drain the juice)
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 minced onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Over medium heat, fry the onion and garlic in a medium-sized saucepan for about a minute.
- Add turmeric, cherry tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are soft.
- Add jarred tomato, stock, vinegar, and basil and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend until smooth.
- Season per taste.